WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
If I was to assemble the team right now using the summer showcase roster itd look like this:

Forwards:
Michael Rasmussen
Maxime Comtois
Alex Formenton
Stelio Mattheos
Robert Thomas
Barrett Hayton
Ty Dellandrea
Morgan Frost
Owen Tippett
Gabe Vilardi
Nick Suzuki
Cody Glass
Joe Veleno

Defensemen:
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Pierre-Olivier Joseph
Evan Bouchard
Jared McIsaac
Noah Dobson
Ian Mitchell
Ty Smith

Goaltenders:
Michael DiPietro
Olivier Rodrigue

Reactions: clarkebr

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
What's the issue with the coaching staff some people seem to have?

Dumont is just awful quite simply put, and apparently Hunter isn't very great either. It's hard to put in to words how bad Dumont is though lol, the most shocking hockey related news I've seen in years is Dumont being named to the WJC coaching staff, completely out of left field and random.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Dumont is just awful quite simply put, and apparently Hunter isn't very great either. It's hard to put in to words how bad Dumont is though lol, the most shocking hockey related news I've seen in years is Dumont being named to the WJC coaching staff, completely out of left field and random.
Why the hell is HC giving these guys such important gigs then?

That's crazy.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Why the hell is HC giving these guys such important gigs then?

That's crazy.

Literally no clue, fans of the Eagles think that maybe not many people put their names in the for assistant coaching gigs?

Few reactions from a primarily QMJHL board:

"On the plus side he will be gone for a month or so"

"Laughable comes to mind."

"Wow........How the hell did this happen? They must have did a draw of names from a hat.....I'm speechless"

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Literally no clue, fans of the Eagles think that maybe not many people put their names in the for assistant coaching gigs?

Few reactions from a primarily QMJHL board:

"On the plus side he will be gone for a month or so"

"Laughable comes to mind."

"Wow........How the hell did this happen? They must have did a draw of names from a hat.....I'm speechless"
lol.

Oh my God, this is pathetic picking this guy then. I mean, I don't know anything about him but i will trust the viewpoint of so many fans.

If it's treated as common knowledge that he stinks.........he must stink.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I have a feeling we're going to lose a lot of guys to the NHL. Vilardi, Glass, Rasmussen, Comtois, Formenton, Thomas and Tippett. All these guys are 19 year old stars in the CHL and I think NHL GMs are itching to play these guys in their bottom 6.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Where do you guys think Dobson and Wilde slot in? Top pair and bottom pair?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
F:
1- Cody Glass C R 99 WHL
2- Barrett Hayton C L 00 OHL
3- Robert Thomas C R 99 OHL
4- Shane Bowers C L 99 NCAA
5- Maxime Comtois LW L 99 QMJHL
6- Alex Formenton LW L 99 OHL
7- Morgan Frost C L 99 OHL
8- Michael Rasmussen C L 99 WHL
9- Owen Tippett RW R 99 OHL
10- Gabe Vilardi C R 99 OHL
11- Nick Suzuki C R 99 OHL
12- Jaret-Anderson Dolan C L 99 WHL
13- Jack Studnicka C R 99 OHL

D:
1- Ty Smith L 00 WHL
2- Jared McIsaac L 00 QMJHL
3- Pierre-Olivier Joseph L 99 QMJHL
4- Noah Dobson R 00 QMJHL
5- Evan Bouchard R 99 OHL
6- Ian Mitchell R 99 NCAA
7- Nicolas Beaudin L 99 QMJHL

G:
1- Michael DiPietro 99 OHL
2- Olivier Rodrigue 00 QMJHL
3- Matt Welsh 99 QMJHL

Just based on what’s at Summer Camp, this is what I’d roll out and I fully expect Lafreniere to be on the team come Christmas. He’s only not there because U18 players go to that event, HC has always operated this way.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I have a feeling we're going to lose a lot of guys to the NHL. Vilardi, Glass, Rasmussen, Comtois, Formenton, Thomas and Tippett. All these guys are 19 year old stars in the CHL and I think NHL GMs are itching to play these guys in their bottom 6.

Yeah hate to say it but I think you might be right. The Kings have been trying to add scoring, I could see them at least giving Vilardi a long look. Glass is a guy I could see playing just because hes the first high draft pick of Vegas and theyll want to show him off. Ras, Comtois, Forementon and Thomas all play a style of game that could be suited for a third line if they arent quite ready for bigger duties and Tippett held on for a long time last season.

I know he didnt score a tonne this year because he was a second liner, but I have this feeling Hayton might make the Yotes as well. And usually there are a couple surprises who make teams as well. Obviously not all these guys will make it, but the list is long enough to make me think a decent amount will be gone.

Reactions: PuckLife

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
F:
1- Cody Glass C R 99 WHL
2- Barrett Hayton C L 00 OHL
3- Robert Thomas C R 99 OHL
4- Shane Bowers C L 99 NCAA
5- Maxime Comtois LW L 99 QMJHL
6- Alex Formenton LW L 99 OHL
7- Morgan Frost C L 99 OHL
8- Michael Rasmussen C L 99 WHL
9- Owen Tippett RW R 99 OHL
10- Gabe Vilardi C R 99 OHL
11- Nick Suzuki C R 99 OHL
12- Jaret-Anderson Dolan C L 99 WHL
13- Jack Studnicka C R 99 OHL

D:
1- Ty Smith L 00 WHL
2- Jared McIsaac L 00 QMJHL
3- Pierre-Olivier Joseph L 99 QMJHL
4- Noah Dobson R 00 QMJHL
5- Evan Bouchard R 99 OHL
6- Ian Mitchell R 99 NCAA
7- Nicolas Beaudin L 99 QMJHL

G:
1- Michael DiPietro 99 OHL
2- Olivier Rodrigue 00 QMJHL
3- Matt Welsh 99 QMJHL

Just based on what’s at Summer Camp, this is what I’d roll out and I fully expect Lafreniere to be on the team come Christmas. He’s only not there because U18 players go to that event, HC has always operated this way.
They will graduate guys to the main camp, it is just an extreme rarity. McDavid was graduated in the summer of 2013 and 2014 and not taken to Hlinka, after he completely annihilated the U-18's in his 15-year-old season (he also wasn't taken to the U17 Challenge at 16). Pretty sure they did with Crosby too. It is an insane standard that only the very elite can meet, but they will graduate those levels of players. Lafreniere while elite, is closer to guys like Stamkos and Tavares, who had the usual standard applied to them. Stamkos played the 2017 Hlinka, Tavares missed it due to a sprained ankle he got in camp.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He's on the Hlinka/Gretzky roster. Wouldn't be surprised if Hockey Canada wants a marquee name at that event with it being hosted in Edmonton for the first time. Although, I do think he should have been graduated to the U-20's, after being arguably our best player at the U-18's.

your standards are too low.

on a team where a lot of the better players in that age group are unable to attend due to club playoffs would be a false measurement. If he had been the best player in the tournament, then you'd have an argument to make. but he wasn't that. If he had even been the best 2001 born player in the tournament, then perhaps you'd also have an argument to make. but he wasn't that either. He was just the best player (and not by a significantly great margin) on a team that was handicapped on player selection, and on a team that didn't medal. That's just not good enough in my book.

If he's lights out at Hlinka this summer, tournament scoring leader, MVP etc. etc., and earns himself an invite to the Xmas U20 camp, whether he makes the u20 team or not, then I guess no need to send him back to the IIHF u18 tournament next spring should he become available. graduation confirmed.

Although, if it were up to me I'd send him back regardless. HC and I are of different mind sets when it comes to tournament play. I like to win. HC? not so much.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
wheres lafreniere
wheres bowers
why woo
teasdale deserves to be there

i dont even see team canada medaling right now

While there are 2-3 omissions from a summer expanded roster that are head scratchers for me, the 20+ players that I expect to make the final Xmas roster are in fact there, so, a little early to be making that particular medal/no medal prediction.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

on a team where a lot of the better players in that age group are unable to attend due to club playoffs would be a false measurement. If he had been the best player in the tournament, then you'd have an argument to make. but he wasn't that. If he had even been the best 2001 born player in the tournament, then perhaps you'd also have an argument to make. but he wasn't that either. He was just the best player (and not by a significantly great margin) on a team that was handicapped on player selection, and on a team that didn't medal. That's just not good enough in my book.

If he's lights out at Hlinka this summer, tournament scoring leader, MVP etc. etc., and earns himself an invite to the Xmas U20 camp, whether he makes the u20 team or not, then I guess no need to send him back to the IIHF u18 tournament next spring should he become available. graduation confirmed.

Although, if it were up to me I'd send him back regardless. HC and I are of different mind sets when it comes to tournament play. I like to win. HC? not so much.
I think your better off the just accept the fact that Lafrienire is going to be on this team at Christmas time. Most likely will be one of the team better players too.

Reactions: dralaf

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
no argument with the 40 picked. a good race for half of the positions at least for the WJC.
very surprised by the omission of Merkley. Could he still make the team if he has a mental turnaround.
Obviously he has pissed some people off. I am a big supporter of Teasdale. I like his drive but his skating to me is the only drawback. Good for HC for including him.

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
Very interesting thing , by the way. 12 D-men , only three of them are 2017 draftees and nine are from 2018. So, the most part of Canadian defs in the WJC will be underagers, it's going to be some kind of a serious challenge for the team. Quite obvious big difference between graduate defenders' talent 2017 and 2018, hmmm...

My preliminary version of the roster:

Frost-Thomas-Tippett
Formenton-Glass-Vilardi
Dewar-Suzuki-Mattheos
Comtois-Rasmussen-Dellandrea
Studnicka

Joseph-Addison
McIsaac-Bouchard
T.Smith-Dobson
Brook

DiPietro
Rodrigue

As always, there are too many centers, so some centermen will play on the wing.

Of course, it's an ideal scenario with none of players in the NHL next season. But much more likely, there will actually be some young Canadians in the Big show , such as Vilardi, Tippett, Comtois, might be Rasmussen and Bouchard.
OK, in this case, it's a good opportunity for Hayton, McLeod, Bowers, Anderson-Dolan, Almeida and some potential "dark horses" like Bellerive or Teasdale in front and Ian Mitchell in D . Hope, there won't be both Bouchard and Dobson in the League and at least one of them will be available for the tournament, though, it's better to have both. )
Besides, I wouldn't ignore Veleno, Merkley and even Lafreniere. Yes, they are going to pass this summer camp, but I think, they will have a chance to show their's worth in the fall, anyway...

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Very interesting thing , by the way. 12 D-men , only three of them are 2017 draftees and nine are from 2018. So, the most part of Canadian defs in the WJC will be underagers, it's going to be some kind of a serious challenge for the team. Quite obvious big difference between graduate defenders' talent 2017 and 2018, hmmm...

My preliminary version of the roster:

Frost-Thomas-Tippett
Formenton-Glass-Vilardi
Dewar-Suzuki-Mattheos
Comtois-Rasmussen-Dellandrea
Studnicka

Joseph-Addison
McIsaac-Bouchard
T.Smith-Dobson
Brook

DiPietro
Rodrigue

As always, there are too many centers, so some centermen will play on the wing.

Of course, it's an ideal scenario with none of players in the NHL next season. But much more likely, there will actually be some young Canadians in the Big show , such as Vilardi, Tippett, Comtois, might be Rasmussen and Bouchard.
OK, in this case, it's a good opportunity for Hayton, McLeod, Bowers, Anderson-Dolan, Almeida and some potential "dark horses" like Bellerive or Teasdale in front and Ian Mitchell in D . Hope, there won't be both Bouchard and Dobson in the League and at least one of them will be available for the tournament, though, it's better to have both. )
Besides, I wouldn't ignore Veleno, Merkley and even Lafreniere. Yes, they are going to pass this summer camp, but I think, they will have a chance to show their's worth in the fall, anyway...

The U20 tournament goes by birth year, not draft year. 2 of the 2018 draft d-men are late birthday 1999 born, therefore, they are not technically underage players. So, 5 1999 born players are included on the summer roster, while 7 are 2000 born.

but yes, I would expect that the final roster 4 out of the 7 will be '00 born.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Thomas is highly likely to be on the Blues next season. I think Vilardi, Rasmussen, and maybe Glass will also be in the NHL as well.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's a damn shame Merkley can't seem to get his head on straight because he's so freaking talented if his attitude was solid he would just walk onto this team as an automatic and really be able to help us.

Just a waste of god given skill.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's difficult to know at this point which players will be in the NHL next season. Sometimes we assume a player is a lock to make the NHL and he remains in junior, while usually there is at least one player who surprises everyone and makes the NHL. I'm going to hope that the number of missing players is 4 or fewer. Even more however I hope that the missing players are actually decent getting minutes in the NHL.

Also, the reason that I specifically highlighted Dumont on the coaching staff is because I have seen enough of him to recognize that he is not very good. One thing I can say for him is that he can ride his big forwards if he has them, but as an assistant I hope that he is kept away from the team's defence. People seem down on Hunter but I don't know much about him. Does anyone know which part of the team he was most involved with last year?

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

You like to win but won't take arguably one of the best Canadian junior forwards for the squad because of his age?

I don't understand how his standards would be "too low" to include Lafreniere, he lead the Canadian U18 team in scoring as an underager and is probably going to put on a show at the Hlinka tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You like to win but won't take arguably one of the best Canadian junior forwards for the squad because of his age?

I don't understand how his standards would be "too low" to include Lafreniere, he lead the Canadian U18 team in scoring as an underager and is probably going to put on a show at the Hlinka tournament.

It's a very rare event that a 17 year old is the difference maker at the U20 tournament. It takes a special kind of player for a 17 year old to make a significant impact at that tournament. I don't think that Lafreniere is in that category of player. If Canada is to successfully defend the Gold medal it will be on the shoulders of the 19 year olds, Comtois, Glass, Vilardi, Frost, Thomas, Tibbett, Suzuki, Formenten etc. or whatever collection of those players on the team and not in the NHL.

I do give him credit for leading Team Canada in scoring at the U18 tournament as an underager. Remind me again what color medal Canada came home with from that tournament. So, he wasn't able to deliver the goods (winning) at a tournament in which he was an underager, but somehow you think he'll be the difference maker at a tournament in which he'll be a double underager. And that was a decent team that should have at least made a 1/2 final. That team underperformed.

And I fully expect him to put on a show at Hlinka. as a 2001 born player playing in a tournament for 2001 born players, failing to put on a show would be very troubling.

and my 'I like to win' comment was in reference to Hockey Canada's stupid graduation rule. If it were up to me, and if he's available next spring I'd send him back to the U18 tournament regardless if he makes the U20 team this Xmas or not. I don't like creating rules to further handicap Canadian teams that are already challenged when it comes to roster selection. but that's just me.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I haven't looked at this forensically, but the only 2000 forward of note I recall Canada missing was Hayton. Olivier-Groulx was available but was not selected (not sure if injury related); however, Laffreniere is a far superior player regardless.

Reactions: dralaf

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I haven't looked at this forensically, but the only 2000 forward of note I recall Canada missing was Hayton. Olivier-Groulx was available but was not selected (not sure if injury related); however, Laffreniere is a far superior player regardless.

I meant in general terms using the u18 team is setting the bar too low. If had been the tournament's leading scorer, tournament MVP, then perhaps he would have had a better point. but Lafreniere wasn't even the best 2001 born player at the tournament was the point I was making.

but yes, the u18 team this past spring was almost optimal...

and very troubling for the World Junior team heading to Europe in 2020. They have some development to do...picking out an individual player for advancement up an age bracket or two is just a tad premature imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad