G:
1- Michael DiPietro 99 OHL
2- Olivier Rodrigue 00 QMJHL
3- Matt Villalta 99 OHL
4- Colten Ellis 00 QMJHL

Reactions: Critical

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Lines aren’t really that important... probably a very real chance that they lose at least 2 guys up front to the NHL.

Lafreniere- Glass- Suzuki
Rasmussen- Thomas- Vilardi
Comtois- Bowers- Tippett
Formenton- Hayton- Lavoie
Frost

Smith- Dobson
Joseph- Bouchard
Tychonick- Mitchell
McIsaac

DiPietro
Rodrigue
Ellis

Potential replacement forwards:

Anderson-Dolan, Veleno, Ratcliffe, Noel, Mattheos, Studnicka

Reactions: Critical

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Lines aren’t really that important... probably a very real chance that they lose at least 2 guys up front to the NHL.

Comtois- Bowers- Tippett
Frost

Smith- Dobson
Joseph- Bouchard
Tychonick- Mitchell
McIsaac

DiPietro
Rodrigue
Ellis

Feels like one of our better lineups in the last few years, at least at first glance.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any news for when they expect to name the coach (if it's Hunter or not) or when they will release the roster for the summer camp since it's not that far away I assume it should be any day now.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
When is Lafreniere's draft year? Could be a fun name to watch at the World Jrs. this yr. if it's 2019 for his draft year.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Anyone have any insight on whether or not Bernard-Docker has a chance to crack a seemingly stacked defense group?

From what I’ve seen- admittedly very little, his skating and offensive tools makes him a great candidate as one of those perennial 7th defensemen that works themself into a top-4 position.

Thanks in advance.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Anyone have any insight on whether or not Bernard-Docker has a chance to crack a seemingly stacked defense group?

From what I’ve seen- admittedly very little, his skating and offensive tools makes him a great candidate as one of those perennial 7th defensemen that works themself into a top-4 position.

Thanks in advance.

I would not describe it as a stacked d-corps.

0 returnees from last year, not an overly impressive list of 1999 born d-men. so, wide open if you ask me.

Reactions: Akrapovince

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't say he is likely but it is definitely wide open this year if he has a great 1st half to his season.

Reactions: Akrapovince

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks, Krebs is Canadian, surprised he's not on that projected list. I've read on him as a top 5 talent for the 2019 draft.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks, Krebs is Canadian, surprised he's not on that projected list. I've read on him as a top 5 talent for the 2019 draft.

Sorry for the quadruple posts, you can delete 3 of the previous posts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Will Lafrieniere be at the showcase or will Hockey Canada still use him for Hlinka? I think with the event in Canada, they may be more inclined to ice the best possible U-18 team, rather than graduating him to the U-20's even if he's worthy.

I don't think Hockey Canada would graduate a fringe case like Krebs to the U-20 for the Showcase Roster. He wasn't on the U-18 roster this year despite Kooteney not being in the playoffs. Only 16-year-olds on the U-18 roster were Lafreniere and Byram.

My guess is that the only 17-year-old with a serious shot at this years showcase (and therefore WJC roster) is currently Lafreniere.

This U-18 team though for Hlinka/Gretzky Cup will be interesting. Byram, Dach, Krebs and Cozens (plus potenitally Lafreniere) is a strong looking line-up and has much more star power than either the 2017 or 2016 Hlinka teams.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere officially at the Hlinka camp right now, have a feeling that eliminates him from the showcase.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Comtois- Bowers- Tippett
Frost

Smith- Dobson
Joseph- Bouchard
Tychonick- Mitchell
McIsaac

DiPietro
Rodrigue
Ellis

Damn, that's a good team. I would have Frost as the 3rd line C and Bowers on the sidelines, personally.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Will Lafrieniere be at the showcase or will Hockey Canada still use him for Hlinka? I think with the event in Canada, they may be more inclined to ice the best possible U-18 team, rather than graduating him to the U-20's even if he's worthy.

I don't think Hockey Canada would graduate a fringe case like Krebs to the U-20 for the Showcase Roster. He wasn't on the U-18 roster this year despite Kooteney not being in the playoffs. Only 16-year-olds on the U-18 roster were Lafreniere and Byram.

My guess is that the only 17-year-old with a serious shot at this years showcase (and therefore WJC roster) is currently Lafreniere.

This U-18 team though for Hlinka/Gretzky Cup will be interesting. Byram, Dach, Krebs and Cozens (plus potenitally Lafreniere) is a strong looking line-up and has much more star power than either the 2017 or 2016 Hlinka teams.
Robertson as well.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Lafreniere officially at the Hlinka camp right now, have a feeling that eliminates him from the showcase.

At U18 Hlinka camp is exactly where Lafreniere should be. He was good at the recent IIHF u18 tourney, but not good enough to warrant a bump up in age group imo. not yet.

If, however, he's lighting up the Q this fall, then invite to U20 camp is in order.

I hope he makes the u20 team this Christmas, but I don't think he does given Hockey Canada's history.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
At U18 Hlinka camp is exactly where Lafreniere should be. He was good at the recent IIHF u18 tourney, but not good enough to warrant a bump up in age group imo. not yet.

If, however, he's lighting up the Q this fall, then invite to U20 camp is in order.

I hope he makes the u20 team this Christmas, but I don't think he does given Hockey Canada's history.
I think he has a decent shot. But, so much will depend on graduations. We haven't been that reluctant to take highly hyped 17-year-olds over the years such as Ekblad, McDavid, Kane (last minute due to injury if I remember correctly), Tavares, MacKinnon, Drouin and hell even Crouse got a spot at that age. He's fringe, but he's probably our most talented LWer. Although, its far from a lock, we are talking about a country that cut Taylor Hall as a 17-year-old. Although, the only late birthday to make it at 17 in recent years is Tavares.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I am not sure what history you are really referring to honestly. They have taken many high profile 17 year olds on the team in the last several years. I also don't think him going to play in the Hlinka is surprising at all, why wouldn't they keep him with his age group for another tournament. Shouldn't affect his chances for making the team in the end.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think he has a decent shot. But, so much will depend on graduations. We haven't been that reluctant to take highly hyped 17-year-olds over the years such as Ekblad, McDavid, Kane (last minute due to injury if I remember correctly), Tavares, MacKinnon, Drouin and hell even Crouse got a spot at that age. He's fringe, but he's probably our most talented LWer. Although, its far from a lock, we are talking about a country that cut Taylor Hall as a 17-year-old. Although, the only late birthday to make it at 17 in recent years is Tavares.

That he's 17 doesn't seem to be the issue - that he is a late birthday (and importantly eligible for the draft in 2020 instead of 2019) seems to deter Hockey Canada. Even when Tavares was ridiculous at that age he was billed as not a lock to make the team and Hockey Canada used him as a fringe player. Hall didn't seem to come close to making the team. McKenzie (who seems to usually have a good idea of what Hockey Canada is thinking) always highlights draft year as a negative when discussing such players. We'll see, but in an ideal world his age and draft status wouldn't be a factor.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Lafreniere is really that talented he deserves a look for sure. Be interesting to see if he takes advantage of that look and ends up making the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad