WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by kyle44, Jan 6, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. kyle44

kyle44 Registered User

After a successful 2018 tournament, I figured it'd be an interesting exercise to look at candidates for next year. As per usual, Canada will likely lose several of these guys to the NHL. My initial observation is that we will likely need an influx of 2000 born talent on the back end as the 1999 group isn't particularly strong. This isn't an exhaustive list, merely my take on guys that could contend for a spot.

In no particular order...

Forwards (x25):
    Robert Thomas
    Alex Formenton
    Maxime Comtois
    Cody Glass
    Owen Tippett
    Nick Suzuki
    Gabriel Vilardi
    Michael Rasmussen
    Morgan Frost
    Jaret Anderson-Dolan
    Stelio Mattheos
    Shane Bowers
    Jack Studnicka
    Ryan McLeod
    Isaac Ratcliffe
    Justin Almeida
    Riley Sutter
    Jordy Bellerive
    Barrett Hayton
    Jack McBain
    Joe Veleno
    Alexis Lafreniere
    Matthew Strome
    Jake Leschyshyn
    Antoine Morand

Defense (x12):
    Pierre-Olivier Joseph
    Evan Bouchard
    Ian Mitchell
    Noah Dobson
    Ty Smith
    Ryan Merkley
    Kevin Bahl
    Jared McIsaac
    Josh Brook
    Calen Addison
    Markus Phillips
    Jett Woo

Goalies (x4)
    Michael DiPietro
    Ian Scott
    Jacob McGrath
    Matthew Villalta

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. Scouter

Scouter Registered User

Only Comtois, Formenton and Thomas can return next year, so it could be an even weaker team, but they did leave off some nice 18 y/o's, so if they can get some of those they should be ok. Would be nice for them if Ducharme returns as coach, but maybe they will decide not to.

3. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

Doesn't look like an exceptionally strong team but there are positives. The NHL will be a factor, but I don't see many guys who are obvious locks to be in the NHL. This year was a rare year where Canada didn't have any 18 year olds in the NHL. I would guess that Tippett and maybe Glass make the NHL from the 2017 draft, not sure about 2018. Outside chance for Thomas. I will be interested to see how they treat Lafreniere, as he will probably be the best player in the QMJHL next year as a 17 year old. The team should lean heavily on 2000 defencemen. Bouchard looks like a good defenceman but the 2018 draft will probably have a lot of Canadian defencemen in the first round. Noah Dobson is one guy that I expect will be there and will play a prominent role. Defence will be a strength, especially puck movement.

At forward you have to think that the team is built around Thomas, Glass, Suzuki, Frost. It will be interesting to see how the coach handles Comtois and Formenton. They are returning players but they should likely remain as depth players. From a year out DiPietro seems like the favourite to be the goaltender but a lot can chance. Hopefully the team can get steady goaltending.

4. Adonis Creed

Adonis Creed King of the East

My locks are in bold if available...

5. Riggins

Riggins Registered User

Depending on who makes the NHL, I think the forward group is solid and could be pretty deep depending on how many are lost to the NHL. I agree there aren't really any locks for the NHL but 2-3 of them could be gone.

The defence should be filled with 18 year olds. The 19 year olds I see with decent chance are P-O Joseph, Josh Brook and Ian Mitchell but beyond them there isn't a whole lot. The 2018 draft eligibles are stronger for sure so we should see a few of Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Calen Addison, Jett Woo, Jared McIsaac, etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  6. TMLeafs18

TMLeafs18 Registered User

It is exciting that this is a strong list and it doesn't even contain the steenbergens or bathersons or metes of the world that just burst onto the scene and force their way onto team Canada. Still so much time for players to raise their game and make an impact. I love this hockey and can't wait until next year.

bert, jj cale, LDN and 4 others like this.
  7. Cajucks

Cajucks Registered User

How likely is it that we get to see Lafreniere on the team?

8. Skip2myBordyloo

Skip2myBordyloo Stay the course

Should be close to a lock.

dralaf, bert and Adonis Creed like this.
  9. TheBeastCoast

TheBeastCoast Registered User

The team should really rely heavily on the 2000's. Especially on the back end. Going to be a hard team to really predict this far out with so few players returning I would really like to see them go with a team with a lot more 18 year olds. As it is I think someone like Dobson is going to end up being a star on the team by next year. Should realistically be building towards the year after which will be Lafreniere's draft year and a strong year in general for Canadians.

jj cale likes this.
  10. Art of Sedinery

Art of Sedinery Registered User

Any possible draft eligibles next year on the team?

11. Riggins

Riggins Registered User

Some possibilities might be Peyton Krebs (LW - Kootenay Ice), Nolan Foote (LW - Kelowna Rockets) and Ryan Suzuki (C - Barrie Colts) for 2019 draft eligibles. Canada rarely relies on younger guys unless they are exceptional. Foote is a bit older though and will be 18 by the time of the tournament and with the familiarity with the family maybe he has an inside track if he starts strong next year.As mentioned earlier in the thread Alexis Lafreniere is the next big deal for Canada. He's not draft eligible until 2020 but he'll be 17 by the time of next year's WJC.

12. canuck2010

canuck2010 Registered User

In my opinion more out and out talent on this team than the one the that just won Gold in Buffalo. Will they play as well as a team, will they all accept their roles and play with as much grit and effort? Who knows.

The overall NHL talent level on the Buffalo team isn't that great in my opinion.

13. coolwood

coolwood Registered User

Good list. I made one myself over christmas and had just a few guys that I wrote down that you don't have (even though I know you said it wasn't an exhaustive list). Most are 2000's so probably have a small chance of making it but you never know how guys are going to do becoming an upper year player in the CHL.

LW- Nolan Foote, Gabriel Fortier
    RW- Serron Noel, Akil Thomas
    C- Ryan McLeod, B-O Groulx
    D- David Noel, Jocktan Chainey, Scott Walford, Cameron Crotty
    G- David Tendeck

14. 99664987

99664987 Dubas is God

I actually quite like this roster from top to bottom, and disagree that defense could be a weak point; Joseph, Brook, Bouchard, Dobson, Smith, Woo, and the inevitable surprise step-up player seems very strong and well-balanced to me.

15. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    Jocktan Chainey should be in the mix. Arguably the top defensmen on the 2nd best team in the QMJHL this year. He is a September born 99 as well with good experience on the under 18 team.

TheBeastCoast likes this.
  16. kyle44

kyle44 Registered User

I didn't say that the defence would be a weak point; I said that the 1999 born d-men aren't particularly strong compared to previous years in my view. Three of the players you listed (Dobson, Smith and Woo) are 2000 born hence why I suggested we will likely need some 2000s to step up and fill the void.

99664987 likes this.
  17. JackSlater

Extremely early stab at a roster here. There are a few things I've noticed. Canada has a ton of RHD prospects for next year. There is really good size at forward if Hockey Canada wants that. Theoretically there could be a line of Ratcliffe (6'6) Rasmussen (6'6) Noel (6'5) just for a specific example. The defence really should favour 2000s, as noted in the thread. Canadian trained players on USA could hurt next year with the Hughes brothers and Wilde. Lots of puck moving defencemen but not great size. A surprising amount of the top forwards available have experience on the wing.

Thomas Glass Rasmussen
    Comtois Thomas Suzuki
    Lafreniere Frost Mattheos
    Formenton Vilardi Tippett
    McBain

Smith Dobson
    Woo Bouchard
    Joseph Mitchell
    Addison

DiPietro

99664987 likes this.
  18. coolwood

coolwood Registered User

This is best case scenario where everyone is available for me. I tried to keep D on their right side but the 3rd LD spot for me is really up in the air.

Frost-Glass-Vilardi
    Rasmussen-Thomas-Suzuki
    Lafreniere-Morand-Tippett
    Comtois-Mattheos-Formenton
    Bowers

Joseph-Bouchard
    Smith-Brook
    Noel-Mitchell
    Dobson

DiPietro
    Scott/Villalta

19. coolwood

coolwood Registered User

Is the first Thomas Akil and the second one Robert?

20. JackSlater

Yes.

21. Gigantor The Goalie

Gigantor The Goalie Speak for the Goalies

Have to imagine the two front runners in net are Michael DiPietro and Matthew Villalta. At this point I'd say DiPietro has the inside track for the starting position but is no means the for sure starter like Hart was. Villalta will make it a proper competition for the starting position. Apart from those two it's really up in the air as to who will have their name in consideration. Jake McGrath was mentioned in the OP and shouldn't be. He hasn't improved enough to be considered at this point. Ian Scott is definitely someone to keep an eye on. Maybe we'll see some 2000-born goalies step up like Alexis Gravel, Jacob Ingham, or Kevin Mandolese and put themselves in the conversation.

22. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    Given Lafreniere's supposed to be a name to watch for the 2020 draft I think he makes the team next year. Be interesting to see how we do next year. Our group has the Czech's, Russia, Denmark and Switzerland so should be a fun group of games there.

23. XeroKaos

XeroKaos Registered User

Canada certainly has the skill and the depth to take another gold next year.

24. Ivan13

Ivan13 Vatreni!!!!!!!!!

With all due respect, if Shane Bowers continues playing like he has been the whole year there's no way he's off the team.

Lemonlimey and 99664987 like this.
  25. JackSlater

Perhaps. Honestly I just don't like Bowers. I also suppose that there is a remote possibility that my prediction for the roster next year is wrong. Stranger things have happened.