WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That he's 17 doesn't seem to be the issue - that he is a late birthday (and importantly eligible for the draft in 2020 instead of 2019) seems to deter Hockey Canada. Even when Tavares was ridiculous at that age he was billed as not a lock to make the team and Hockey Canada used him as a fringe player. Hall didn't seem to come close to making the team. McKenzie (who seems to usually have a good idea of what Hockey Canada is thinking) always highlights draft year as a negative when discussing such players. We'll see, but in an ideal world his age and draft status wouldn't be a factor.
A new regime in regards to scouting, but they could hold on that philosophy. Although, I think it would be a mistake. I know its good to build around 19-year-olds, but I have a feeling Lafreniere is our most talented pure LWer.

I have a feeling a lot of sending Lafreniere to the Gretzky/Hlinka Cup is to have a marquee Canadian name (and highly hyped player) at the first time this event is held in Canada. I feel in regular years, where the team is playing in Czech/Slovakia that he would have been on the Kamloops roster.

Reactions: Wings4Life

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
A new regime in regards to scouting, but they could hold on that philosophy. Although, I think it would be a mistake. I know its good to build around 19-year-olds, but I have a feeling Lafreniere is our most talented pure LWer.

I have a feeling a lot of sending Lafreniere to the Gretzky/Hlinka Cup is to have a marquee Canadian name (and highly hyped player) at the first time this event is held in Canada. I feel in regular years, where the team is playing in Czech/Slovakia that he would have been on the Kamloops roster.

That argument sort of falls apart when you recollect the story of Nathan Mackinnon in 2012. They sent Nathan to the 2012 Hlinka tournament and not the U20 Canada-Russia 4 game series, 2 games in Yaroslavl and culminating with 2 games in Halifax.

Did anybody really believe that Mackinnon/Drouin were both not going to be on the u20 team going to Ufa that Christmas? anybody besides that idiot chief scout working for Hockey Canada at the time. That guy didn't know the ball from the bounce.

Now, I haven't seen a lot of Lafreniere. 1 game live, a couple more on tv and a few at the IIHF U18 tourney, but I don't think Lafreniere projects to be a better player than Mackinnon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That argument sort of falls apart when you recollect the story of Nathan Mackinnon in 2012. They sent Nathan to the 2012 Hlinka tournament and not the U20 Canada-Russia 4 game series, 2 games in Yaroslavl and culminating with 2 games in Halifax.

Did anybody really believe that Mackinnon/Drouin were both not going to be on the u20 team going to Ufa that Christmas? anybody besides that idiot chief scout working for Hockey Canada at the time. That guy didn't know the ball from the bounce.

Now, I haven't seen a lot of Lafreniere. 1 game live, a couple more on tv and a few at the IIHF U18 tourney, but I don't think Lafreniere projects to be a better player than Mackinnon.
He actually does. Or if he doesnt, hes in that similar group.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
All the talk from the wings seems like this team will be without Rasmussen. Have to see how he starts the year in Detroit I guess, maybe he could get release (or its early,not actually make it) but with how he ended his junior season last year that seems unlikely. He would be a serious PP weapon, none of those small europeans would be able to move him from the net front

Reactions: 99664987

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
All the talk from the wings seems like this team will be without Rasmussen. Have to see how he starts the year in Detroit I guess, maybe he could get release (or its early,not actually make it) but with how he ended his junior season last year that seems unlikely. He would be a serious PP weapon, none of those small europeans would be able to move him from the net front
Having watched him play this year, I assure you even the hulking American or Russian dmen wouldn’t move him an inch.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Also as a wings fan I should ask you easterners, what are Velenos chances to make it this year if he starts the season similar to how he finished the last one? I would expect him at camp but to not make the team, but hes a HC guy and has wore the C for them before so I'm not sure...

Could see a 13th forward at best if hes lighting it up?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Also as a wings fan I should ask you easterners, what are Velenos chances to make it this year if he starts the season similar to how he finished the last one? I would expect him at camp but to not make the team, but hes a HC guy and has wore the C for them before so I'm not sure...

Could see a 13th forward at best if hes lighting it up?

I'd say not very good. but if we lose 10-12 players (forwards) to the NHL, then his chances increase somewhat.

if that scenario unfolds, and with this particular coaching staff having been named, I'll take a pass on the tournament.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Where is Alexis Lafreniere on the list of invitees? His stats were on par with Zadina last season, and he was a top 10 pick this year. I hope this is just a case of sending him to Hlinka and letting him graduate to the WJC roster during the season for the Xmas tournament.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where is Alexis Lafreniere on the list of invitees? His stats were on par with Zadina last season, and he was a top 10 pick this year. I hope this is just a case of sending him to Hlinka and letting him graduate to the WJC roster during the season for the Xmas tournament.
He's on the Hlinka/Gretzky roster. Wouldn't be surprised if Hockey Canada wants a marquee name at that event with it being hosted in Edmonton for the first time. Although, I do think he should have been graduated to the U-20's, after being arguably our best player at the U-18's.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Interesting that Welsh and Teasdale both get invited after being passed over in the draft twice. Admittedly, I have little viewings of either but the thought that they get passed over twice in the draft but are still considered 2 of the top 40 the country has to offer is interesting

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
wheres lafreniere
wheres bowers
why woo
teasdale deserves to be there

i dont even see team canada medaling right now

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Not a fan of Tim Hunter as a the coach, its going to be a Steve Spott fiasco all over again.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
question: i imagine docker is not going back to alberta jr
where realistically going ? which college ? or chl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->