Can We Get New Sportsnet Commentators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
LOL I still chuckle from time to time because of the poster that wrote "Paul "your daddy's dead" Romanuk" in the GDT that fateful night. Can't see Cuthbert leaving TSN, unless Rogers throws all the money in the world at him. Miller definitely won't leave TSN, he's far too involved with everything there. No clue who is gonna be our new guy tbh

Reactions: rubous

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Never like seeing a person lose their job but boy he was bad. Hopefully they hire a solid play by play commenter as we deserve it.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Don’t really get the outcry for Bowen as a play by play last time he did tv he messed up just as many names as Romanuk did, with the added bonus of missing about a minute of play by play for some dumb irrelevant story followed by another minute of missed play by play for laughing at said story. He was every bit as bad of a play by play, he gets excited for goals and has used the same catch phrase for 20 years as his claim to fame, let Bowen stay on radio.

There should be a dislike option for this kind of response.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
The thing about Romanuk to me isn't even about messing up names, it's simply how he sounds/calls games. I could listen to Bob Cole call games all day long even if he botched names because he has a great voice to be a sports commentator. Some guys have a voice where they can be talking about paint drying and have it sound interesting. Others can say the most interesting things, but if they don't have "the voice", it won't be so good.

Whoever takes over for Romanuk, I just hope they sound great. Make the action sound as exciting as Bob Cole can make hockey sound, or Jim Ross and wrestling back in the day. Those guys in their peak could make a chess match sound like the greatest thing you've ever watched.

If I were hiring a commentator, the first thing I would do is simply listen to how they sound calling the action. Credentials and all the rest can come later, but if you don't pass the "ear test", you don't even have a shot.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm still surprised he never got fired after this game...

1) He mistakenly stated a player's father died
2) Even if it wasn't a mistake, why announce this to the hockey world? Why is this acceptable? Why not give respect to the player, their family, and leave things private.

Ouch

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
My goodness, what an off-season we are having. Let's just hope they don't promote the Marlies guy and find a way to move Millen as well (though I can live with Millen, as long as he stops the tireless goalie apologist act he does every night).
Todd Crocker is by far a worse pbp man with that annoying high pitch screech he has when he gets excited. I pray he’s not the replacement. I’m hoping it’s Cuthbert.

Last edited:

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Part of me wants Joe Bowen back obviously, and the other, small part of me wants to hear Craig Simpson and Jim Hughson call the Leafs hoisting the Cup.

We are one of the most premier hockey cities in the NHL, we deserve our own 'homer'. Every other team has their guys, but when the Leafs had their guys it somehow became biased. The Lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
I also don't get this whole "homer" stuff. WHY does it matter (to SN/Rogers)? I'm fine with Hughson/Simpson on Wednesday Night Hockey and HNIC calling games, but what's so wrong with a broadcaster being excited for the Leafs?

Is some guy from Montreal gonna be like "Hey Rogers, I tuned into the Leafs vs Devils game on Monday and heard your commentator being so biased towards the Leafs. He kept getting excited on Leafs plays and talking about the Leafs all night long. Get rid of him, he has no business being there!".

What nerve of Leafs fans to want a commentator who is excited for the Leafs when calling Leafs games! Especially when it's non national games, and against a non Canadian team.

And for that matter, why do national commentators have to act unbiased? If it's Leafs vs Blackhawks on HNIC, do they think people in Chicago are watching this game on CBC? Don't treat both teams equally. If it's Leafs vs Habs, I have no problem with unbiased commentary, but if you're a Canadian network showing a Canadian team vs an American team, there is literally nothing wrong with being excited for the Canadian team. Not because you don't like the American team, but because 99% of your viewers are fans of that Canadian team.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Todd Crocker is by far a worse pbp man with that annoying high pitch screech he has when he gets excited. I pray he’s not the replacement. I’m hoping it’s Cuthbert.

it can't be cuthbert because cuthbert is with tsn

cuthbert is on bob cole's level in his prime; he's an A+ level pbp man. CBC should have never let him go because by today's standards he IS the best announcer in the game.

if rogers could find a way to snag him it would be massive

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Part of me wants Joe Bowen back obviously, and the other, small part of me wants to hear Craig Simpson and Jim Hughson call the Leafs hoisting the Cup.

We are one of the most premier hockey cities in the NHL, we deserve our own 'homer'. Every other team has their guys, but when the Leafs had their guys it somehow became biased. The Lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.
i'm pretty sure we will get a lot of Simpson and Hughson, they are one of the best out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad