Can We Get New Sportsnet Commentators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
Any chance we might FINALLY get new commentators for Sportsnet games? I know people don't like Hughson/Simpson duo so much for HNIC games, but that one I can at least live with (next to Bob Cole who is being phased out, that duo is sadly HNICs 2nd best duo).

On Sportsnet though, having Romanuk calling games is just horrible. Don't get me started on the things he says, but his voice is also not one that makes me excited to watch games. Nothing against him personally, but I just want to watch a game and enjoy listening to it as well. The obvious choice is bringing Joe Bowen back, but even if he can't be brought back on TV, at least get a replacement for Romanuk who sounds so much better. The other options on SNs main team aren't so good either. I couldn't care less about what gets said, but if it's a voice that sounds exciting and nice to listen to, I don't care what they're saying
(like how Cole does mess up on names. I'd rather hear his voice mess up on names and things in a play, than Romanuk calling the action perfectly).

What I also don't get is why SN wants to use Romanuk on TV and not Bowen, when I've heard highlights on Sportsnet, TSN and Leafs Nation Network all using the Joe Bowen audio feed of the game over the SN commentary. If they prefer using his voice in highlight packages, then why not just have him on TV?

I know efforts have been made in the past on here, but I think we really need to make some more noise about this. Not just some petition which gets ignored, but we need something bigger like social media(Twitter especially) to catch their attention. We're about to enter one of the best eras in Leafs hockey, and I don't want it tarnished by horrible commentary being played over the action.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The real issue is the regional games, agreed. I would support a change in play by play crew.

One thing that needs to be clear is that Joe Bowen was offered the TV gig for 1 of the 2 regional networks and he said I want to call all the games or none. So it ended up being none, and he was able to do all games on the radio. I suspect it was SN who refused because they had a lot of money tied up in their TV play by play crews. Mind you, TSN does too but their guys are top notch (especially compared to the crap SN has).

The only thing I want is Romanuk to not call any Leafs games ever again... ever...

That being said. I won't be missing any games no matter who the pbp team is and that is true for 'most' of us and SN knows that. So we're in a bit of a pickle.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Any chance we might FINALLY get new commentators for Sportsnet games? I know people don't like Hughson/Simpson duo so much for HNIC games, but that one I can at least live with (next to Bob Cole who is being phased out, that duo is sadly HNICs 2nd best duo).

On Sportsnet though, having Romanuk calling games is just horrible. Don't get me started on the things he says, but his voice is also not one that makes me excited to watch games. Nothing against him personally, but I just want to watch a game and enjoy listening to it as well. The obvious choice is bringing Joe Bowen back, but even if he can't be brought back on TV, at least get a replacement for Romanuk who sounds so much better. The other options on SNs main team aren't so good either. I couldn't care less about what gets said, but if it's a voice that sounds exciting and nice to listen to, I don't care what they're saying
(like how Cole does mess up on names. I'd rather hear his voice mess up on names and things in a play, than Romanuk calling the action perfectly).

What I also don't get is why SN wants to use Romanuk on TV and not Bowen, when I've heard highlights on Sportsnet, TSN and Leafs Nation Network all using the Joe Bowen audio feed of the game over the SN commentary. If they prefer using his voice in highlight packages, then why not just have him on TV?

I know efforts have been made in the past on here, but I think we really need to make some more noise about this. Not just some petition which gets ignored, but we need something bigger like social media(Twitter especially) to catch their attention. We're about to enter one of the best eras in Leafs hockey, and I don't want it tarnished by horrible commentary being played over the action.

There was an article on The Athletic early June where Scott Moore (president of Sportsnet NHL properties) stated Bowen is better on the radio than TV, and makes assumptions on what the fans want.

Scott is obviously not getting the message on what fans want for Leaf regional games. Send a tweet articulating your thoughts on Leaf games to @MooreScottmoore . I've seen so many complain about Romanuk on here, but the twitter activity needs more volume. They (he) needs to hear it like the Ron MacLean/HNIC outcry.

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I love Joe but he's where he should be, I don't think he would be good coming back to TV.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There was an article on The Athletic early June where Scott Moore (president of Sportsnet NHL properties) stated Bowen is better on the radio than TV, and makes assumptions on what the fans want.

Scott is obviously not getting the message on what fans want for Leaf regional games. Send a tweet articulating your thoughts on Leaf games to @MooreScottmoore . I've seen so many complain about Romanuk on here, but the twitter activity needs more volume. They (he) needs to hear it like the Ron MacLean/HNIC outcry.

Joe is better on the radio.
like honestly if people want to listen to joe that badly, watch the game, and have it play on the radio, problem solved.

nothing is wrong with Hughson and Simpson for the most part, and nothing is wrong with Romanuk.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Joe is better on the radio.
like honestly if people want to listen to joe that badly, watch the game, and have it play on the radio, problem solved.

nothing is wrong with Hughson and Simpson for the most part, and nothing is wrong with Romanuk.

Personally, they are really annoying because they are not very good at their jobs. Like they do not know much and make a lot of stupid mistakes, or they add a lot of unnecessary input that usually ends up being wrong or very misinformed or state their (often stupid) opinions too often. But at least they do not have annoying voices. That would be a 100% turnoff.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
My crazy sister watches the game on TV but mutes it and has Joe Bowen on the radio calling the game.

Yes there is a time delay but she says she would rather deal with the time delay than "have my ears bleed listening to them".

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
They had the best analyst in all of pro sports (Glenn Healy) and they let him walk over a money dispute. Letting Glenn walk and having George S anywhere near a hockey broadcast just shows how out of touch they are!

Rogers should be backing up a brinks truck outside of Healy’s house and do whatever it takes to bring him back. Kind of like how Jays analysis is a disgrace now that Zaun is out. Rogers is clueless!!

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Why not?

We're almost certainly the only team in the league that doesnt have devout homers calling our regional games

There's three facts that are very much limited to the Leafs, however:

1) We are the only NHL team owned by two rival media outlets.

2) We are, if not the only team, among a very select few teams that have "regional" games on more than one independent network.

3) Those two networks both also have national play-by-play crews under contract (yes, TSN doesn't have national games anymore, but they still employ the announcers who were their national crews when they did to call their current regional games).

Really, when you get down to it, our announcers are directly tied to the primary source of the Shanaplan, that being the purchase by Bell and Rogers from the Teacher's plan and the hiring of Tim Leiweke, which directly lead to the hiring of Shanahan.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Why not?

We're almost certainly the only team in the league that doesnt have devout homers calling our regional games

I think the quality of Joe's broadcasts have gone downhill in the last few years, it was quite noticeable during the last time he was doing TV. I just don't see the need, and I'm quite sure SN feels the same way.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
They had the best analyst in all of pro sports (Glenn Healy) and they let him walk over a money dispute. Letting Glenn walk and having George S anywhere near a hockey broadcast just shows how out of touch they are!

Rogers should be backing up a brinks truck outside of Healy’s house and do whatever it takes to bring him back. Kind of like how Jays analysis is a disgrace now that Zaun is out. Rogers is clueless!!

I don't know what I'm more shocked about. That someone is a fan of Glenn Healy or that someone is a fan of Greg Zaun.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
My crazy sister watches the game on TV but mutes it and has Joe Bowen on the radio calling the game.

Yes there is a time delay but she says she would rather deal with the time delay than "have my ears bleed listening to them".
Oh snap I gots a good idea

just pause the game for a minute or two till it syncs up then youre good to go. we should all do that this year.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I don't know what I'm more shocked about. That someone is a fan of Glenn Healy or that someone is a fan of Greg Zaun.

The only people that dislike Glenn are people who live in fantasy land. Many people can’t handle the truth and that’s the only thing that Glenn speaks. He doesn’t sugar coat anything.. he tells it EXACTLY how it is. He knows the ins and outs of the league. As a player and working for the NHL in various roles.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I and others I know do this regularly. Hughson and Romanuk are both awful!I will never understand how anyone can like them,guess i'm just gettin' old....I cannot listen to either one try and call a game,nor do i care for their take on anything,just effing brutal!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The only people that dislike Glenn are people who live in fantasy land. Many people can’t handle the truth and that’s the only thing that Glenn speaks. He doesn’t sugar coat anything.. he tells it EXACTLY how it is. He knows the ins and outs of the league. As a player and working for the NHL in various roles.
I don't live in 'fantasy land' and I don't like Glenn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad