Can We Get New Sportsnet Commentators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't think we have any idea of what their. A big deal was made about Duthie and McKenzie. No idea on the rest.

Ferraro tweeted in response to someone last year saying he still had something like 8 years left on his contract, which pretty much coincides with the duration of the remainder of the Rogers deal.

If anything, we can infer TSN locked up their main hockey guys long term and for serious big money after the deal was announced.

Edit - Bobby Mac also has like 3/4 years left, which would lead into his retirement.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
They should have a look at Steve Kouleas.He did a great job the last 2 years at the Spangler cup.

What happened to Kouleas anyways. He was great on The Score talking hockey with Ludzik, was very passionate on TSN’s That’s Hockey, and for whatever reason disappeared from the show and hadn’t been seen since.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Never wanna see someone lose work. That said Im sure hes fine financially, will find work elsewhere and thank god hes gone.

Reactions: HockeyMad68

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Let me celebrate this with a picture of this bobcat:

5bk9u.jpg

Last edited:

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Sucks. I liked him. He was one of the few left who actually called goals with enthusiasm.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Sucks. I liked him. He was one of the few left who actually called goals with enthusiasm.

Romanuk made several errors a game. He was enthusiastic after goals but would then call out the wrong name.

There was a 50/50 chance that the players name he called out on a goal was not actually on the ice.

No thanks.

Reactions: LeafsNation149

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The truth is everyone is going to suck. Joe Bowen will never be back because he is too much of a leaf fan.. If anyone should be fired it should be executives at sportsnet/tsn for mandating such boring, non-biased, politically correct commentary. I would want Joe Bowen but its not going to happen because he doesnt fit the policy of sportsnet.
Sportsnet is ultra neutral because they want to use the Leafs as much as possible for National Broadcasts. It led to a pretty terrible product. The vibe they seem to go with is ultra-professional that walks along a certain line. They don't do it as much with the western properties because they aren't used as much nationally.

TSN is much looser and in-formal with who they use. They have a Leafs fan/ex-player on the intermission panel, and are much less formal. I'm not as big a basketball fan as I used to be, but for intermission panel's once a week or so, they need to look at how TNT does their games. Good insight, and its funny to the casual viewer. Now, I realize it might be impossible to find Hockey legends as interesting and funny as Shaq and Barkley, but they should damn well try.

I think some of the main issues with Hockey Broadcasting, that Sportsnets broadcasts represent to an extreme. One, a lot of people are afraid of saying anything controversial. Two, there is a code among management and players to avoid doing this, which many retain post-career. Hockey depends way too much on actual reporters compared to other sports. Guys like Friedman, Kyprios, McLean, McKenzie and Dreger aren't going to say anything crazy because they are the one's who break the news. These guys won't heavily bash certain players or management, because players, agents and management are all sources. Look at the NBA show or an NFL pre-game. Those guys could care less about offending people, its not like they are relying on Schefter or Woj to carry a broadcast. For example, with Sportsnets intermission panel, Friedman is a journalist who breaks stories, he's always going to play it close to the vest, Kyprios also does to an extent, he's close to certain agents and players, McLean is just there to direct the show and not offer an opinion. This leaves McLean to be the most outspoken, and even then he's quite management friendly. The NHL needs more ex-players who are like O-Dog or Ferraro. Who have no clear affiliations, and are willing to say what they think. Unfortunately, I don't see what I'm suggesting gaining much traction.

Reactions: frog

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He's really good as far as content goes, but he's a bit of nails-on-a-chalkboard when he gets really excited, to me.

As soon as Big Daddy tries to speak Crocker screams out some useless play-by-play info like something important is happenening

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Find it strange that when Shanahan came in they turfed Frost for a new in house announcer, brought in Maria Luis Conchita Alonso Juan Valdez Cortez to sing every anthem but don't have a dedicated play by play guy.

Maybe this is the first step towards that?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Find it strange that when Shanahan came in they turfed Frost for a new in house announcer, brought in Maria Luis Conchita Alonso Juan Valdez Cortez to sing every anthem but don't have a dedicated play by play guy.

Leafs do not control TSN/Sportsnet play by play guy.

Leafs do control their inhouse announcer and anthem singer. They have Bowen for LeafsTV, which is also controlled by them.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Leafs do control their inhouse announcer and anthem singer. They have Bowen for LeafsTV, which is also controlled by them.
Hence the first step towards that.

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017

They might not control it, but why can't they have some deal like that? TSN and SN have Matt Devlin as the voice of the Raptors.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They might not control it, but why can't they have some deal like that? TSN and SN have Matt Devlin as the voice of the Raptors.
Everything and anything can be had for the right price.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I kind of feel bad for the guy, but he wasn't cut out for a prime time gig with the Leafs. Hopefully he'll land on his feet.

Reactions: trellaine201

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
They should have a look at Steve Kouleas.He did a great job the last 2 years at the Spangler cup.
He's a massive Leafs homer....could be interesting against TB though as I believe he's a distant cousin of Stamkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad