Can We Get New Sportsnet Commentators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I also don't get this whole "homer" stuff. WHY does it matter (to SN/Rogers)? I'm fine with Hughson/Simpson on Wednesday Night Hockey and HNIC calling games, but what's so wrong with a broadcaster being excited for the Leafs?

Is some guy from Montreal gonna be like "Hey Rogers, I tuned into the Leafs vs Devils game on Monday and heard your commentator being so biased towards the Leafs. He kept getting excited on Leafs plays and talking about the Leafs all night long. Get rid of him, he has no business being there!".

What nerve of Leafs fans to want a commentator who is excited for the Leafs when calling Leafs games! Especially when it's non national games, and against a non Canadian team.

And for that matter, why do national commentators have to act unbiased? If it's Leafs vs Blackhawks on HNIC, do they think people in Chicago are watching this game on CBC? Don't treat both teams equally. If it's Leafs vs Habs, I have no problem with unbiased commentary, but if you're a Canadian network showing a Canadian team vs an American team, there is literally nothing wrong with being excited for the Canadian team. Not because you don't like the American team, but because 99% of your viewers are fans of that Canadian team.

While it's certainly a matter of personal opinion, I think there are valid points on both sides. Personally, I can't stand overly homer commentators. If anyone follows the Raptors and remembers Chuck Swirsky, that is textbook homer announcer and it's god awful at times. Zero accountability or criticism of your players, everything is always roses and towing the company line, regardless of how poor they may be playing; it's always, they gave good effort and there's always next time, after horrific performances. Zero excitement for outstanding plays made by the opposing team. Zero objectivity in close calls, everything that is remotely close to being "either way" is seen as should be going the home team's way.

It's nauseating at best. Much rather objectivity in commentators. I'm not looking for a cheerleading team in the broadcast booth.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Feel for him, but not upset. Professionals should be great at what they do. He's not even okay. I am sure he will pop up somewhere next season.

I just want competence. A guy who knows the team/organization inside and out. And has a much passion as we all do. I want that excitement to come across (like Joe!). But I agree, I don't want the everything is the other teams fault or the refs fault. We're not dummies.. we see whats going on. No need to baby us... but, you know, at a minimum know the players, their tendencies, the line up etc and for the love of God, make it fun!!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I picture it happened this way:

Sportsnet officials make their way to his office "snaking" through the corridors of the building

then

by mistake they did an "obituary" of a living person

then

the officials said your services are no longer required John but they meant Pual

The End

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Time to get a new voice for the Jays while they are at this. Buck and Tabby just laugh and giggle at each other and nothing to say bad about any Blue Jay player or plays they make.
"Another good performance by Borucki Pat, he gave up 6 hits and 4 walks in 4 innings but a couple of them were seeing eye hits" Tabby's reply, "And yeah, I thought he got squeezed a little on a couple of the walks"
NO GUYS, pitcher stunk, opposition team is horrible and there is no excuses.
Drives me nuts more this year because the team obviously is a horrible excuse for a baseball team.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Time to get a new voice for the Jays while they are at this. Buck and Tabby just laugh and giggle at each other and nothing to say bad about any Blue Jay player or plays they make.
"Another good performance by Borucki Pat, he gave up 6 hits and 4 walks in 4 innings but a couple of them were seeing eye hits" Tabby's reply, "And yeah, I thought he got squeezed a little on a couple of the walks"
NO GUYS, pitcher stunk, opposition team is horrible and there is no excuses.
Drives me nuts more this year because the team obviously is a horrible excuse for a baseball team.

I don't know, maybe just hire Shulman to be pxp for all games except the west coast road games, relegate Buck to the analyst role that I think more suits him anyway (he used to be an analyst before going to pxp) and then you have a quality three-man booth w/those two and Tabler. And use Hughson on the west coast road games and I think you're set.

Reactions: BDT25

BDT25

Aug 15, 2018
Dan Shulman with Joe Carter as colour commentary? He seems to be good on TV when he's been on commercials. Wonder if he'd even want the job.

I don't know, maybe just hire Shulman to be pxp for all games except the west coast road games, relegate Buck to the analyst role that I think more suits him anyway (he used to be an analyst before going to pxp) and then you have a quality three-man booth w/those two and Tabler. And use Hughson on the west coast road games and I think you're set.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Boom Goes the Dynamite

This guy is great. I look forward to Sportsnet picking him up!

Also, it's a shame Marneau will never play for us again. He was such a trooper.

Last edited:

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Seems that Rogers seems to make all these changes to correct their bad decision making in the first place but they never get any better. When do they get rid of whomever it is in the ivory tower that got them to this point?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I envision his voice. No idea how he is on the play-by-play stuff, but I'm familiar with his sound, tone and cadence.

We'll see how it goes I guess.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I envision his voice. No idea how he is on the play-by-play stuff, but I'm familiar with his sound, tone and decadence.

We'll see how it goes I guess.
He used to be our Marlie voice...I like his work. Decent hire.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
This was when he was hired to do PBP for the Habs. Hopefully we’ll get an interview regarding the Leafs now. From the one call I heard (at the beginning of this interview) he seems to have high energy.

Here’s a game he called last year between the Habs and Devils.

He sounds like Rick Jeanneret.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
This was when he was hired to do PBP for the Habs. Hopefully we’ll get an interview regarding the Leafs now. From the one call I heard (at the beginning of this interview) he seems to have high energy.

Here’s a game he called last year between the Habs and Devils.

I like his call. I fell this is an upgrade over Romanuk but will wait for a full regular season game or two.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Well, RJ is one of the greatest PBP guy in hockey history in my opinion. So yeah, that’s a compliment

Better tan Foster Hewit or Danny Gallivan? These are the two greatest of all time IMO but I'm old so..............

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
While it's certainly a matter of personal opinion, I think there are valid points on both sides. Personally, I can't stand overly homer commentators. If anyone follows the Raptors and remembers Chuck Swirsky, that is textbook homer announcer and it's god awful at times. Zero accountability or criticism of your players, everything is always roses and towing the company line, regardless of how poor they may be playing; it's always, they gave good effort and there's always next time, after horrific performances. Zero excitement for outstanding plays made by the opposing team. Zero objectivity in close calls, everything that is remotely close to being "either way" is seen as should be going the home team's way.

It's nauseating at best. Much rather objectivity in commentators. I'm not looking for a cheerleading team in the broadcast booth.

My issue with Hughson though is he isn't really objective at all. There's been plenty of times I've heard how well the other team is playing even though Toronto is the better team, and that's just one example. He also offers very little. There's stretches where he goes completely monotone; he doesn't get excited very often at all.

I agree with you, I don't need a homer commentator but I'd like someone with passion. No that doesn't mean someone just screaming like a crazy person.

I don't group Simpson with Hughson anymore. IMO Simpson has improved over the last couple years and I find much of what he says interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->