Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
McDavid is overwhelmingly more valuable than Price, and the gap will only widen over the duration of their contracts.

It's not a good comparison.

It's not a comparison, it's an example that even the best player in the league can't carry a bad team. Therefore the argument that because Price is paid 10.5m he should be able to carry the team.

EDIT: Did you read the post I responded too?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A GM's main job, as well as their support staff's jobs, is to continually watch and evaluate all players in the league. Do you think that there are any GMs out there who don't already realize this?
Trading Carey would be tough. There is only one GM incompetent enough to take Price on at 10.5 a year for 8 years. :sarcasm:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's not a comparison, it's an example that even the best player in the league can't carry a bad team. Therefore the argument that because Price is paid 10.5m he should be able to carry the team.

Responding to the very worst posts (which may actually have not been meant literally) is a poor discussion tactic. It's close to strawmannirg.

It is indeed not fair to expect Price to carry a garbage team and turn it into a contender.

However, it will be a disaster for the Habs if Price is a subpar goalie moving forward. It means that it will be virtually impossible for the Habs to compete, even if they tank for a solid 2 or 3 years.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
can we?......yes......we SHOULD BE!

like i have been saying all summer, this season will be a repeat of last season for price, he isnt getting younger, he isnt getting better, he isnt majically reverting to his vezina form.....what you see is what you are going to get all season long

CAREY LOVES YOU, when we're all cheering for this team and the one goalie who stands before them, by all means, please continue with your post after post of hate for him.

This goalie is on the verge of breaking an historical record playing behind some of the worst offensively challenged teams in Canadiens history and fans like you refuse to support him but that's OK because when he and the team are winning he 's doing it for them, and US, not the 1% who spend all they waking hours trying convince the world he sucks. No one's listening little one, but it sure is entertaining.

THE FIRST STAR...…….NUMBER 31...…….CAAAAAAREY PRIIIIIIICE

Oh and that 14-15 season where Price set even more records. That team and it's over 20 2-1 victories was a last place team. They were no where near elite or at the top of their game. Gionta night after night apologizing for the play, and thanking Price was epic.

"Price wouldn't be Price without Waite's expert coaching" Does that work both ways too?

LETS GO CAREY, GO HABS GO, LETS GO CAREY, GO HABS GO

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Guess what Price plays in the NHL and every team he faces is going to have the best players in the world. So if you are saying Price isn't good enough to face NHL players then let him play in the AHL where he can face easier competition.

The guy used to stop Crosby and Ovie and Malkin and Stamkos etc... But saying he faces elite players doesn't cut it because the NHL is full of elite forwards and as a starting goalie he is going to face those players all season long.
Killing post. Says it all.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Ummm, Price could be worth an 8-year, 10.5 million dollar contract, if he were still the elite player that he once was.

Bergevin likes paying people based off their past performance rather than their future performance. Price will be making 10.5 million in 2026 because he had a strong regular season in 2014, it's ludicrous.

I agree, I think you misunderstood my post. No doubt Price was worth 10.5m at one point in his career, hell he was the best player in the world for a period of a time...but you can't pay a goalie based on a generational season that we may never see again. Bergevin was shortsighted, it's like he just ignored every other one of his seasons.

That type of money is reserved strictly for #1Ds or #1Cs imo, I don't think goalies can keep up their play as well as elite centers/defensemen.

Reactions: DAChampion

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The difference is that teammates have a much smaller impact on a forwards points then on a goalies SV%.

If goalie A faces 10 shots coming from two on ones and 20 shots from the outside and let's in 3 goals and goalie B faces 4 shots coming from two on ones and 26 shots from the outside and let's in 2 goals. Which was the better goalie,
Goalie A with a 3.00 GAA and a .900 SV%
or
Goalie B with a 2.00 GAA and a .928 SV%

One looks like barely an NHL level goalie by the stats, the other looks like an allstar, but what really happened was one played well but was left out to dry by terrible defence, and the other was average but played in front of good defence.
Isn’t the difference in cap supposed to mitigate this?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

NO ONE is saying price should carry the team. Please just stop.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Listen, he still got an excellent trade value in NHL 19.... that must mean something.

cut.jpg

Are you really trying to tell me that this guy is not worth 10.5 mils a year?
Lobs ball over net. Yeah pretty much.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Are people whining about that Matthews goal? I swear ill calculate the velocity of that Marner pass because ive never seen a pass so hard before and a reception so clean, it was a perfect set up and Price cannot travel faster than a puck, its physics.
No. No one has whined about that goal.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
At this point I just want him to become an above average goalie again (.915+ SV%). He’s been below average for a long time now.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
On one side, when 3 of his 6 defensemen last year were Benn, Alzner and Petry they aren't exactly reliable. But I also see the argument that his numbers are declining, which reflects in his play which isn't All-World. I don't put a lot of faith in pre-season and I sure hope his play improves in the regular season. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon because if we can see this decline, pretty much every other GM and scout will as well. He may very well be untradeable until after the start of Yr.#4 of this deal where about 63% of the money will be paid out. Better get used to it.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Price was great for 3 seasons. Best goalie in the league. Best player in the league in 015. However the team in front of him stunk. They were either going to get better and join him, or he was going to get worse and join them. Looks like the latter won out.

Carey peaked . He will never have another season like 015. But he could win a cup.......with a great team. He will never win anything in Montreal under MBs watch. But neither would Holtby, Murray, Crawford, Quick, or any other Stanley Cup winning goalie.

Blaming Price for Habs lowly standing is like blaming Coyotes goalie, Sens goalie, Sabres goalie or Canucks goalie for there recent sad sack seasons.
No one is blaming price for Habs low standing. No one.

Reactions: scrubadam

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Great, you've made no sense, once again.

There's a limit to the speed every body can travel. It's about friction and force, the puck in the air has way less friction than Price on the ice, which equals Price being too slow on such a fast pass.

Marner is the one to blame here, not Price.
He was perfectly correct. The whole point of pro goaltending is to anticipate the play well and establish the best position you can to stop a puck that is moving much faster than you. Hence the advantage of being big. Probably Half of nhl stops are made without seeing the puck.

No expects price to move as fast as the puck.

You clearly know zero about goaltending. I was trained in it and played it at a good level from 7 to 14.

You just constantly spout off in shit you know nothing about.

Reactions: Genesis76

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Save percentage. No matter how tough the shot. 10.5 mill.

There's very little a goalie can do when the team who gives up the slot as consistently as we do. SV% is highly dependent on how good a team is at keeping the opponent to the outside.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Responding to the very worst posts (which may actually have not been meant literally) is a poor discussion tactic. It's close to strawmannirg.

It is indeed not fair to expect Price to carry a garbage team and turn it into a contender.

However, it will be a disaster for the Habs if Price is a subpar goalie moving forward. It means that it will be virtually impossible for the Habs to compete, even if they tank for a solid 2 or 3 years.

It will certainly be bad, yet Chicago won the cup despite being saddled with Huet's and Campbell's contract. A terrible contract (If that's what it becomes) is not the end of the world.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Isn’t the difference in cap supposed to mitigate this?

To a certain extent sure. But look at who played the most minutes on D for us last year for us. Alzner was #2 and Benn was #3. No one can mitigate that much.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Its remarkable, the season is literally days away and not only does this thread exist already, its at 6 pages and counting

we couldnt even wait a couple weeks into the season lol, we really are the worst
So what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad