Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Carey Price deal in the first year : Age 31 10.5/79.5 13.2%
Henrik Lundqvist deal in the first year: Age 32 8.5/69 12.3%

Pretty similar deal.
Neither have won a cup and both were hugely overpaid. No matter. Carry on.

Reactions: DAChampion

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Carey Price deal in the first year : Age 31 10.5/79.5 13.2%
Henrik Lundqvist deal in the first year: Age 32 8.5/69 12.3%

Pretty similar deal.
And the Rags haven't won anything since then, have they? Now, their team is also in need of a rebuild and his numbers have tanked the past couple of seasons. A storyline that will be mirrored for the Habs, except that it already happened. Price basically is living up to a line in the song "Hotel California", which is "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave". He can't leave Montreal, but he doesn't have to give a shit anymore. The team in front of him sucks. The management got rid of a good player and a friend in P.K Subban, so why should Price work like a mule for scum like Bergevin, who basically undermined Price. The only thing Bergevin could give Price was money, and he gave it to him, and the relationship is over. Price doesn't have to give 100% anymore for him and he can see clearly that Bergevin will never give him glory. Bergevin gutted the entire defense corps in front of him.

Without an offense in front of one, a goalie is useless for winning Cups. Goalies can't score goals and hence teams with goal scoring issues are wasting their assets clinging to goalies while their forward corps suck if in a vacuum, a Cup is the only goal to strive for. Of course, there is the matter of maintaining solvency and generating money, so keeping a good goalie in that situation even though the team is not a Cup contender.

People expect the world out of them, subconciously demanding performances of .940 save percentage, 30 shutouts, and 1.50 GAA even though no such thing is possible because of human limits.

Reactions: DAChampion

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Was does this even mean?

Does Price face the same number of quality scoring chances that goalies from good teams face? It's a simple yes or no question.

If the answer is yes, it speaks volumes about your hockey knowledge, if the answer is no then obviously SV% is as much a team stat as it is a goalie stat.

Interesting enough habs were 12 in HDCA last year. And in the pre season they were 5th. So according to the stat called high danger chances against the habs were actually one of the teams that faced the fewest of those.4

Interesting enough the game against the leafs habs 16 HDCF, leafs 10 HDCF, we actually had more tracked high danger chances then the leafs in that game.

Of course you will attack the stat and say it doesn't count the quality or that every one of our HDCA's were from the best players and other teams were against scrubs or whatever.

Are the habs going to be bad on D this year, ya sure. But you don't get it, its just excuses for the guy who is supposed to be the best in the game and makes 10.5.

Its going on 4 years now. Last 3 years Price .915 and 2.53 GAA. Put it all on his team in front of him if you want, but we are far ways from his dominate 2014/15. Add in missing probably close to 50 games due to injury and its not looking good. We saw this last year too, and Nieme managed to have .929 last year with the same horrible D.

I don't want Price to drag this team to the playoffs. I know the team in front of him isn't very good, but he has to play better than last year and he can't be a .900 goalie no matter how much the team in front of him effects that. I would be more than happy for him to put up .915+ and the rest of the team isn't good enough so they get a top 5 pick.

Reactions: bsl

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's not a comparison, it's an example that even the best player in the league can't carry a bad team. Therefore the argument that because Price is paid 10.5m he should be able to carry the team.

EDIT: Did you read the post I responded too?

McDavid had 108 pts on a horrible oilers team. Even with crap line mates and a crap team he put up points.

I would love to see Price put up a .925 but go 10-25 or something so the habs can get the top pick next year and Price will have value going into Seattle expansion.

Now lets say McDavid had 50 points last year and Oilers were as horrible as they were, you don't think fans and media would be going crazy and up in arms over there 12.5 Million dollar golden boy turning into a 3rd liner?

Reactions: DAChampion and bsl

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
And this goal was that. This goal was this. You don’t think like: That is what happens in every nhl game? Against good teams? By your logic. Leafs would score 5 a game all year.

The thickness in this thread is strong.

They wont play vs a team that gives up a+ chances all year long

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It's not a comparison, it's an example that even the best player in the league can't carry a bad team. Therefore the argument that because Price is paid 10.5m he should be able to carry the team.

EDIT: Did you read the post I responded too?
On and on saying that people think price should carry the team. No one is saying that. Try something else to justify his salary and term. Waiting.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
McDavid had 108 pts on a horrible oilers team. Even with crap line mates and a crap team he put up points.

I would love to see Price put up a .925 but go 10-25 or something so the habs can get the top pick next year and Price will have value going into Seattle expansion.

Now lets say McDavid had 50 points last year and Oilers were as horrible as they were, you don't think fans and media would be going crazy and up in arms over there 12.5 Million dollar golden boy turning into a 3rd liner?
Great post.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Im sure Halak was the better choice right

Any goalie would do.

Its all about de mental.

hqdefault.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was perfectly correct. The whole point of pro goaltending is to anticipate the play well and establish the best position you can to stop a puck that is moving much faster than you. Hence the advantage of being big. Probably Half of nhl stops are made without seeing the puck.

No expects price to move as fast as the puck.

You clearly know zero about goaltending. I was trained in it and played it at a good level from 7 to 14.

You just constantly spout off in **** you know nothing about.
I know basic physics though, which is worth way more than being trained in goaltending.

Fact is, Marner faked the shot into one of the hardest pass ive seen in my life, which didnt allow Price to anticipate the move. He faked it so price was already planted ready for the save, Marner sent it the other way to one of the best goalscorer in the league

Maybe its not on Price, but its on Marner and Matthews? But what do I know.

Reactions: thewall

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I know basic physics though, which is worth way more than being trained in goaltending.

Fact is, Marner faked the shot into one of the hardest pass ive seen in my life, which didnt allow Price to anticipate the move. He faked it so price was already planted ready for the save, Marner sent it the other way to one of the best goalscorer in the league

Maybe its not on Price, but its on Marner and Matthews? But what do I know.

Then by your logic, matthews would have ar least 250 goals a year and Marner 250 assists every year. Because they do these things many times a game.

Is it too hard to admit hes no good any more?

Btw you really think its friction that prevents price from making those kind of saves?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Interesting enough habs were 12 in HDCA last year. And in the pre season they were 5th. So according to the stat called high danger chances against the habs were actually one of the teams that faced the fewest of those.4

Interesting enough the game against the leafs habs 16 HDCF, leafs 10 HDCF, we actually had more tracked high danger chances then the leafs in that game.

Of course you will attack the stat and say it doesn't count the quality or that every one of our HDCA's were from the best players and other teams were against scrubs or whatever.

Are the habs going to be bad on D this year, ya sure. But you don't get it, its just excuses for the guy who is supposed to be the best in the game and makes 10.5.

Its going on 4 years now. Last 3 years Price .915 and 2.53 GAA. Put it all on his team in front of him if you want, but we are far ways from his dominate 2014/15. Add in missing probably close to 50 games due to injury and its not looking good. We saw this last year too, and Nieme managed to have .929 last year with the same horrible D.

I don't want Price to drag this team to the playoffs. I know the team in front of him isn't very good, but he has to play better than last year and he can't be a .900 goalie no matter how much the team in front of him effects that. I would be more than happy for him to put up .915+ and the rest of the team isn't good enough so they get a top 5 pick.
Im sure Price will do his best to get this team to 27th-31st in league standing. He must be pumped at the opportunity. Like the fans are pumped for this season. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Genesis76

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Nobody’s eating price alive. We are concerned about his play as his cap hit is very high. Wow. Shocking.
"So? They are wrong. Lots of people are wrong all the time"

sound like a familiar response?

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nobody’s eating price alive. We are concerned about his play as his cap hit is very high. Wow. Shocking.
Most people are like this, but there are a few on this board, that have gone way over board. The Habs have alot of issues, and have for years, but it always seem to be the goalies that bear most of the criticism.

Reactions: thewall

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I play goalie, yes we are often asked to repair a teamates mistake but man sometime there is 0 chances of stoping a puck. Matthews goal was almost impossible to stop unless a goalie cheats and stands up facing Matthews which would leave Marner with an half open net. The Marleau goal was a give away by a habs right in front of the net where 2 Leafs players are basically left alone to make a cross pass for an uncontested shot.

Im sure all the fans complaining would have made that save right?

Price will always be the one to be blame like scherback will be blamed by RDS and like Galchenyuk prior to that.

Reactions: Peanut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad