Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Are people whining about that Matthews goal? I swear ill calculate the velocity of that Marner pass because ive never seen a pass so hard before and a reception so clean, it was a perfect set up and Price cannot travel faster than a puck, its physics.

I dont think we have developed yet a technology where pucks can travel by them selfs. Or have we? I don't know, but they're certanly not being used in the NHL. Or are they?

Point is

His job is essentially to read DA_PLAY and position himself accordingly to DA_BEST of his ability and make himself look big. DA_PUCK, "MOVING" FASTER DEN HIM is not an issue.

If Jesus could walk on water, carey can stop the pucks. Seems logic to me.

Reactions: bsl

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Just trade him and Weber right now before all the GMs in the league realize they both have negative value.
I think it has already happened.

No one but Marc would pay a goalie 10.5 millions. No one. We're retaining salary if we want to move Price and the other GM has to be as big of a knucklehead as Marc to go after Price. Price is not Hasek and even Hasek couldn't sustain being otherworldly forever.

As for Weber, he used to have clean bills of health, but he has a long term injury and there is a legitimate fear that his injury resiliency might be going away. He will get some trade value once his actual salary becomes dirt cheap though and some cap floor team could take him in and watch him quietly end his career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I dont think we have developed yet a technology where pucks can travel by them selfs. Or have we? I don't know, but they're certanly not being used in the NHL. Or are they?

Point is

His job is essentially to read DA_PLAY and position himself accordingly to DA_BEST of his ability and make himself look big. DA_PUCK, "MOVING" FASTER DEN HIM is not an issue.

If Jesus could walk on water, carey can stop the pucks. Seems logic to me.
Great, you've made no sense, once again.

There's a limit to the speed every body can travel. It's about friction and force, the puck in the air has way less friction than Price on the ice, which equals Price being too slow on such a fast pass.

Marner is the one to blame here, not Price.

Reactions: Sorinth

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
His contract sucks but that doesn't mean he can do things that aren't humanly possible. You give up cross ice passes like candy on Halloween and you get what you got last season and this year.

Since you're a goalie, would that explain why he's crouching all the time, when the puck is in the slot area?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
A GM's main job, as well as their support staff's jobs, is to continually watch and evaluate all players in the league. Do you think that there are any GMs out there who don't already realize this?

Looking a trades history in the league and free agent signing history, yes I would say so. They are not in Gomez territory yet which we gave a lot for. When we speak of star players (or trending towards former stars) GMs are prone to overlook salary and term.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Im laughing when people say its only preseason ''chill''
Carey was absolute hot garbage last year and and this preseason dont look that good at all. Oh yeah its only pre-season and vet goalies probably dont care. But he keeps giving that bad goal everynight compared to his best years.

People will also whine that Habs D are god awful. But sorry to burst ur bubble the year that Price won those 4 awards , the Def was still absolute garbage. Price made the D look better. Now that Price plays poorly , You can tell how he was keeping that awful D-man squad looking good.

But yes his 10.5m AVG for 8 years is way 2 much. He should have been traded the year of those awards for an absolute golden return. Price wont be that good this year either. This guy is now running on multiple injuries and ''psychological'' problem he had last year.

I would not be surprised if he was getting burned from playing in Montreal. To be honest people that think we got a playoff maybe team this year , are completely lost.

This is a top 5 last material team with probably some players getting traded like Petry.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I agree with what you are saying, but at the end of the day we average it out over a season and each goalie in the league has to deal with teammates etc...

Are you honestly claiming over a full season it averages out and all goaltenders no matter which team they play for face an equal number of high quality scoring chances?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Since you're a goalie, would that explain why he's crouching all the time, when the puck is in the slot area?

Depends on what you mean, if he's crouching looking through traffic, that's simple, it's easier to look underneath to find the puck than up and over, and you're closer to covering the percentages.

If you're meaning in his stance, that's also simple. You're taught to get up and over the puck now-a-days. The puck from ice level has an upward trajectory it doesn't go up like this ( I ) it goes up like this ( / ) so if you think about it, getting over the puck and being lower, you're actually protecting more of the net than if you are upright because you're allowing more space for the puck to get to its highest point.

It's what Quick popularized in his 2012 Conn Smythe run. It was a more advanced version of the 'puck's eye view'. Cut off the angle of flight as soon as possible and you cover more net even though it appears you're covering less.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Come here in peace. Im in a keeper hockey league, but the way it is, goalies can dominate (6-6). However, I have Price and he stresses me out. I love him but he hasnt been great lately. Got offered Johnny Hockey for him, as Habs fans, would you guys do it? I dont wanna cause I know Price is elite, top 1 goalie when on, but i also dont watch enough Habs games to know if he had a bad year or toast.

Thanks! Gl this season as well.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Great, you've made no sense, once again.

There's a limit to the speed every body can travel. It's about friction and force, the puck in the air has way less friction than Price on the ice, which equals Price being too slow on such a fast pass.

Marner is the one to blame here, not Price.

Again.... Price is not racing a flying puck side by side.

He's covering a short distance. As long as hes positioned correctly and not on his belly or behind the net or at a rodeo show, he should be capable of stopping those shots.

Of course no one is expecting him to stop ALLof them. But we do expect him to save a few of them.....

Just watch Brobovsky play. Guaranteed a goalie like him is taking this team to the playoffs.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
At his massive contract,Price needs to regularly stop the shots that he has "no chance"on and has to be our best player every game. I can handle Price at 5-6 million per year but not at 10.5 for a goalie that's been very average recently and on the wrong side of 30.

Reactions: bsl and scrubadam

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We bleed chances from the slot and high danger ereas. Abysmal defensively. Price is not the best goalie in the league anymore but Jesus Christ protect the god dam slot

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Come here in peace. Im in a keeper hockey league, but the way it is, goalies can dominate (6-6). However, I have Price and he stresses me out. I love him but he hasnt been great lately. Got offered Johnny Hockey for him, as Habs fans, would you guys do it? I dont wanna cause I know Price is elite, top 1 goalie when on, but i also dont watch enough Habs games to know if he had a bad year or toast.

Thanks! Gl this season as well.

I'd trade Price for a pair of burnt Nike shoes.

Reactions: AllDay28

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
A GM's main job, as well as their support staff's jobs, is to continually watch and evaluate all players in the league. Do you think that there are any GMs out there who don't already realize this?

No it's not.

A GM's main job is to manage the team, that means hiring the right people which include Scouts, Coaches, Players, etc..., it's about creating a winning culture, it's about laying out a vision for the future and progresssing towards it.

You can trade a player one for one, get the better player and still lose the trade because you got something you don't need or doesn't fit. In fact that's been a hall mark of Bergvin, decent trades that still make everything worse.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

He's covering a short distance. As long as hes positioned correctly and not on his belly or behind the net or at a rodeo show, he should be capable of stopping those shots.

Of course no one is expecting him to stop ALLof them. But we do expect him to save a few of them.....

Just watch Brobovsky play. Guaranteed a goalie like him is taking this team to the playoffs.
At 10 million a year?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah, and what is he doing after ?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think it has already happened.

No one but Marc would pay a goalie 10.5 millions. No one. We're retaining salary if we want to move Price and the other GM has to be as big of a knucklehead as Marc to go after Price. Price is not Hasek and even Hasek couldn't sustain being otherworldly forever.

As for Weber, he used to have clean bills of health, but he has a long term injury and there is a legitimate fear that his injury resiliency might be going away. He will get some trade value once his actual salary becomes dirt cheap though and some cap floor team could take him in and watch him quietly end his career.

Carey Price deal in the first year : Age 31 10.5/79.5 13.2%
Henrik Lundqvist deal in the first year: Age 32 8.5/69 12.3%

Pretty similar deal.

Reactions: ArtPeur

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Are you honestly claiming over a full season it averages out and all goaltenders no matter which team they play for face an equal number of high quality scoring chances?

I am saying it averages out for Price.

Either way he is the NHL he is going to face the best players. Nieme put up a .929 last year in front of this crap team. He lost a lot of games but he stopped the pucks.

Just enough with the excuses. If his name was Lindgren or Nieme fine excuse away. Price is supposed to be a gamer and make the stops even if the D in front of him isn't up to snuff. I don't expect him to turn this team into a cup winner, or even drag them out of the basement(I want to lose this year), but .900 or less and he is being criticized by me.

But I said in another post, at this point with Price in nets the only way they can win is to play perfect mistake free hockey with a few shots a period that are clear shots from the point. So I guess I am with you, the team in front of Price has to be 100% perfect with zero mistakes and minimal offesensive pressure from the other team or else he will only stop 89.5% of the shots he faces or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad