Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I expect you'll get some hate for asking this, but I agree, at least he looks significantly more like himself last year than he looks like himself 2,3 seasons back.

I'm a big fan of Price, Love that he's a native BC boy who loves to hunt and fish, love that he's a goalie (my position) on my favourite team. - BUT

The pundits and the fans all seem to be supremely confident that he'll be fine. You heard it all last year that he'd get his game back, but I'm starting to believe he's not going to. At least not completely.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I thought this was going to be about Kotkaniemi, because not sending him back is the only elephant in the room I can see.

I don't watch exhibition hockey anymore, threads like this are a reason why.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's extremely hard being a goalie when you have to plan for every possible breakdown.

Petry is inconsistent.
Benn and Alzner are two of the worst defenceman in the league.
Mete and Juulsen need AHL time.
The rest are just journeyman.
Sorry WTK, you know I got nothing but respect for you as a poster.

But if you still think based on this preseason, and especially after last night, that Mete & Juulsen need AHL time, at this point.

Then I don't think you're watching them at all, you've made your mind up and no matter what they do, you think they should be in the AHL.

There are definitely some Dmen on the Habs right now who look like they need AHL time...

Mete & Juulsen are about the only ones who don't.

As for Price...he does look like he's moving too much, needs to quiet his game down a bit.

But that's what preseason is for.

CHILL OUT!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Everyone will blame the D in front of him and there is some merit to that, but Andersson had a D just as bad giving the puck away like candy and he still stopped 33 of 36 shots.

Price has to give the team a .920. If he is going sub .900% each game its not good enough and he is part of the problem.

Last night I don't care how or why but he should of stopped at least 24 of the 26 shots he face. chose one of them, if he is supposed to be an elite goalie he stops the puck.

Scorers are expected to score. Dmen are expected to play D, a goalie stops the puck, and an elite one doesn't just stop the easy shots they find a way to make the tough saves, the 2 on 1's the giveaways etc...

He can't face 26 shots and only stop 21 no matter how bad the D is in front of him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Price looks completely out of whack so far this pre-season ; what the heck is going on with him ?
Changed his stance
Lateral movements uncontrolled
Slow as f^€÷¢
Can we expect a repeat of last season ?

In this preseason so far:

Hellebuyck: 3,00/92.1%
Vasilevski: 3,53/88.9%
Varlamov: 3,67/88.2%
Quick: 4,15/85.7%
Rinne: 4,15/87.7%
Holtby: 4.35/87.7%
Brobovsky: 4.57/83.7%
Lundqvist: 4.72/86.3%

If you want to talk about how preseason is the worst time for a goalie cause half the plays in front of you won't going to happen once the season starts so a goalie can't expect and control them, yes we can talk about that.

But if you want to talk about how Price should start to steal games and look awesome in the preseason, then i don't think it's important at all and there's no elephant in room.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sorry WTK, you know I got nothing but respect for you as a poster.

But if you still think based on this preseason, and especially after last night, that Mete & Juulsen need AHL time, at this point.

Then I don't think you're watching them at all, you've made your mind up and no matter what they do, you think they should be in the AHL.

There are definitely some Dmen on the Habs right now who look like they need AHL time...

Mete & Juulsen are about the only ones who don't.

As for Price...he does look like he's moving too much, needs to quiet his game down a bit.

But that's what preseason is for.

CHILL OUT!

I missed the first but what I did see, especially in the third, were two players who were over matched by the pace of the game.

Juulsen got lost up the ice a few times which has been a consistent theme for him since his call up last year. Mete managed to get back but was very erratic and got caught biting too much on every pass. I believe it was the Marleau goal where you see him absolutely fishing.

Wasn't a great night from either of them.

Reactions: Andrei79

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think we need to coach our guys to get there sticks to prevent the cross ice passes more. Outside of the freakish turnovers (2 by Petry and 1 by Gallagher), that was the issue defensively last night. If we can limit the turnovers and use our sticks to limit cross ice passes, I think we can have a respectable defensive hockey team. At that point, we can really evaluate Price, but to me his lateral mobility is miles behind where it was just a couple of seasons ago.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's extremely hard being a goalie when you have to plan for every possible breakdown.

Petry is inconsistent.
Benn and Alzner are two of the worst defenceman in the league.
Mete and Juulsen need AHL time.
The rest are just journeyman.

Those are excuses. Excuses that don't explain him losing sight of the puck a number of times last night, him not being out far enough, him being really slow in his movements.

Maybe it's just a question of working out the kinks and we should be patient. But what was wrong with Price last night had nothing to do with the defence because I'm not talking about the goals, well except for the Kadri goal. That was an example of him not coming out.

Reactions: DAChampion

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I missed the first but what I did see, especially in the third, were two players who were over matched by the pace of the game.

Juulsen got lost up the ice a few times which has been a consistent theme for him since his call up last year. Mete managed to get back but was very erratic and got caught biting too much on every pass. I believe it was the Marleau goal where you see him absolutely fishing.

Wasn't a great night from either of them.

When reporters asked Julien about Mete-Juulsen (and Kotkaniemi), he repeated on a couple occasions that decisions were to be made whether they stay on the team or not.

I don't mind it at all if they begin the season in Montreal, but I'm also one of those who want to see both Ds in Laval, at least to begin the season, with Bouchard, and Kotkaniemi in Finland.

Posters here who are adamant they'll begin the season in Montreal should actually chill out, nothing's set in stone yet, and there's no hurry in their cases.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Those are excuses. Excuses that don't explain him losing sight of the puck a number of times last night, him not being out far enough, him being really slow in his movements.

Maybe it's just a question of working out the kinks and we should be patient. But what was wrong with Price last night had nothing to do with the defence because I'm not talking about the goals, well except for the Kadri goal. That was an example of him not coming out.

I didn't really see anything to be super concerned about. As a goalie that's some normal adjustments when trying to get back into form. If it continues then I'll wonder if that chronic fatigue issue isn't fully fixed.

Reactions: Fixxer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad