Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Of the 289 forwards who have played more than 10 games this season, Lucic is 250th in shots. He's managing roughly 10 shot attempts per hour at 5v5, which is even worse than last season.

I'm really curious where this idea that the dam is ready to break with him is coming from.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
That's a hell of an assumption there. I understand there's only 72 games left for him to put some points up which isn't much time, but there's definitely a chance he and many others on the team get hot.
He had 34 points last season, mainly thanks to being on PP1. I doubt he stays on the powerplay for much longer this season given how useless he is.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He had 34 points last season, mainly thanks to being on PP1. I doubt he stays on the powerplay for much longer this season given how useless he is.
Last season was also historically bad not only for Looch but the entire team as well. It seems quite disengenious to use a sample size of 36 games instead of a consistent ten year career as a measuring stick for this year. After only 10 games to boot.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Last season was also historically bad not only for Looch but the entire team as well. It seems quite disengenious to use a sample size of 36 games instead of a consistent ten year career as a measuring stick for this year. After only 10 games to boot.

Lucic's 5v5 production last year was better than the year before. So we're now talking about a 175 game sample where the guy isn't scoring at 5v5 which seems a lot more relevant than what he did 10 years ago.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Sorry, but you think that his performance 10 years ago is more relevant than his last two seasons? This is his third straight season now of abysmal 5v5 output.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
McLellan is clinging to some outrageous fantasy that Lucic will score a goal tomorrow and a dozen will follow that in short order.

The reality is Lucic might have a puck bounce off him on the pp tomorrow and then will go another 27 games without a goal.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
McLellan is clinging to some outrageous fantasy that Lucic will score a goal tomorrow and a dozen will follow that in short order.

The reality is Lucic might have a puck bounce off him on the pp tomorrow and then will go another 27 games without a goal.

I'd say McClellan isn't pleased having to play Lucic at all. Lucic may cost him his job and he knows it for sure.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I'd say McClellan isn't pleased having to play Lucic at all. Lucic may cost him his job and he knows it for sure.

Disagree....he may have no choice to play him.. He certainly isn't being forced to give him pp1 time.

I'd say the opposite is true for Jesse. Management wants him as part of the solution but McLellan won't use him.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Disagree....he may have no choice to play him.. He certainly isn't being forced to give him pp1 time.

I'd say the opposite is true for Jesse. Management wants him as part of the solution but McLellan won't use him.

I really have a hard tome believing that Chia isn't making TM play Lucic. I mean who really knows, but I just can't imagine TM would. It makes him look bad. It seems clear Chia is forcing him to play him to save face on a horrible contract and over all for the Hall trade.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really have a hard tome believing that Chia isn't making TM play Lucic. I mean who really knows, but I just can't imagine TM would. It makes him look bad. It seems clear Chia is forcing him to play him to save face on a horrible contract and over all for the Hall trade.

Hard to say. I really do think Chiarelli would rather JP play but TM doesn’t trust him, so JP doesn’t play. I don’t think Chiarelli would pay Koskinen 2.5 mil to play as little as he does. It seems to me that for the most part, Chiarelli lets TM coach and play who he wants. We don’t know for sure but I think theres some evidence to support the claim.

I get the impression that the players like Lucic being out there. He’s probably a comforting presence out there for them. Lucic should be playing third line with pp2 minutes. He can be a bit more effective in that role while hurting the team less. Its taken awhile for them to finally put him on the third line. One more step to put him on the second power play.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Chia should be fired for 3 major mistakes that set the team back years. 1. Trading the draft pick for Reinhardt. 2. Lucic FA signing 3. Hall for Larsson. If he is forcing TM to play Lucic then he should be fired immediately! Lucic is the worst Oiler for the value. Barely a fourth liner on a top 6 contract. His salary and roster spot prevents the term from having a great player at 6 mil. The team indirectly lost Marroon because of this stupid signing with a NMC for 7 years. The team could have a Radulov or some great other FA instead. I hope somehow some way they get rid of him for the betterment of the team going forward else they will never win the SC. I'm going to keep repeating this when someone think Lucic is actually useful and Chia is a great GM.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's definitely lighter and quicker. But, his stick skills remain terrible. He stuck his nose up last season at the idea of getting a skills coach (too many voices in his head I believe was his counter argument). That's a shame. Hopefully he changes his mind about that soon. This guy needs to try everything he can to stay relevant in this league. Everything that he thinks worked for him before is being left in the dust by the rest of the league. Every year players are getting better at stick checking. No one cares about Lucic's size when they can just poke the puck away from him with minimal effort.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Looch has looked significant better or at least more confident ever since he went to the third line. Skating better. More engaged and confident. Even his stick and "skills" look better albeit still very meh for NHL stds. But relative to his 2017-18 form it's decent. I'd like to see him off the 1st PP but he's looked slightly better on the pp two games ago.

He needs to accept that he's a third, maybe 4th line player now that is not guaranteed any pp time. If he accepts this he will be a useful player for this team. Ego check. I think he feels more confident playing with fellow "plugs" like Strome or rookies rather than try to keep up with Connor or Drai.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Looch has looked significant better or at least more confident ever since he went to the third line. Skating better. More engaged and confident. Even his stick and "skills" look better albeit still very meh for NHL stds. But relative to his 2017-18 form it's decent. I'd like to see him off the 1st PP but he's looked slightly better on the pp two games ago.

He needs to accept that he's a third, maybe 4th line player now that is not guaranteed any pp time. If he accepts this he will be a useful player for this team. Ego check. I think he feels more confident playing with fellow "plugs" like Strome or rookies rather than try to keep up with Connor or Drai.

From my observations last year I thought Lucic really sewered right after being tried with McDavid and failing. His confidence took a hit because of that because it definately wasn’t the first time he’s been tried with McDavid and failed. Before that he was having a “good” year with Nuge as we all remember. He was promoted to McDavids line, couldn’t get anything done, and it just snowballed from there.

It’d do this team and Lucic a lot of good if he accepted a 3rd line role and just killed it in that role. Being an elite 3rd liner is a lot better than being a bad top 6 player.

Reactions: HK97

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Jacques' 5v5 P/60 during that stretch was actually 1.04 with about a 1400 minute less sample size than Lucic.

edit: His numbers are wrong for Lucic too. 1.24 P/60 during that stretch.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially from someone with an obvious agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
At 5v5. 2016 to present:

0.74 G/60
2.16 P/60
1.92 hits/60

1.61 G/60
2.02 P/60
13.92 hits/60

One is Draisaitl. The other is Tyler Pitlick.

(Hint: Pitlick is the second one.)

See how pointless that is?

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

space321

May 11, 2011
At 5v5. 2016 to present:

0.74 G/60
2.16 P/60
1.92 hits/60

1.61 G/60
2.02 P/60
13.92 hits/60

One is Draisaitl. The other is Tyler Pitlick.

(Hint: Pitlick is the second one.)

See how pointless that is?

I mean, we definitely could use a Pitlick type player on our 3rd line over Lucic lol

space321

May 11, 2011
Damn. I knew I should have used the one that showed that 2008-2010 Gilbert Brule was better than 2016-present Draisaitl.

Either that or one that showed 2008-2010 MAP and Ryan Potulny were better than 2016-present Eberle.

Sure, go for it.

I don't think Lucic is on JF Jacques level of bad, but from your other posts you don't seem to think Lucic is a problem at all. I guess you have really low standards on a 7x6M AAV player. Just by watching him you can tell he handles the puck like a hot potato, and takes stupid penalties in an attempt to hit everything that moves. Idk about you, but 6M for 1 EV point through 11 games is just atrocious.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure, go for it.

I don't think Lucic is on JF Jacques level of bad, but from your other posts you don't seem to think Lucic is a problem at all. I guess you have really low standards on a 7x6M AAV player. Just by watching him you can tell he handles the puck like a hot potato, and takes stupid penalties in an attempt to hit everything that moves. Idk about you, but 6M for 1 EV point through 11 games is just atrocious.

I'm not a huge Lucic fan. I'd say I'm about neutral and trending down on him right now.

I just really don't like illogical arguments.

Reactions: Aerrol

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
oh sweet Jesus. This just hurts.

dude, advanced stats is garbage without context and if not used in concert with eyeball test. mainly used by people with agendas picking out bs stats out of their butts or lazy fans with lack of real hockey knowledge.

space321

May 11, 2011
dude, advanced stats is garbage without context and if not used in concert with eyeball test. mainly used by people with agendas picking out bs stats out of their butts or lazy fans with lack of real hockey knowledge.

or used by people wanting to believe strome is a good hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad