Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I'd still like to see him work on screening the goalies vision a bit more. It shouldn't be too hard since he's a wide body. Beyond that he's bringing energy, physicality and the points should strat coming for him and his line.
Perfect 3rd line player, not sure I want to see him on the 1rst PP anymore. I think people really underestimate what he does to opposing teams with his hits and fear. I wished he had a 4 mil contract :)

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Perfect 3rd line player, not sure I want to see him on the 1rst PP anymore. I think people really underestimate what he does to opposing teams with his hits and fear. I wished he had a 4 mil contract :)

He needs to screen the goalie better to keep that spot long term IMO. That said yeah he definitely makes some players nervous out there.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
He needs to screen the goalie better to keep that spot long term IMO. That said yeah he definitely makes some players nervous out there.
Generally when you have a guy like Lucic or even a Smyth in front of the net on the PP its because its a point shot heavy PP. We do not run a PP that concentrates on point shots. I would love to see Bouchard get a shot at a few 1rst string PP.

With this current PP, I would sooner like to see a bumper/shooter 6 feet out from the goalie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Generally when you have a guy like Lucic or even a Smyth in front of the net on the PP its because its a point shot heavy PP. We do not run a PP that concentrates on point shots. I would love to see Bouchard get a shot at a few 1rst string PP.

With this current PP, I would sooner like to see a bumper/shooter 6 feet out from the goalie.

Klef is the only point shot out there and he has yet to net one this season. If Bouchard is to stay beyond 9 games he needs to get a trial on the top PP unit unless Klefbom catches fire there.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
My hope is that Lucic plays well enough that we'll be above to move him for a low pick or expiring contract. I think he is playing well and the role that he fills has value but there is just so much risk involved with this player and time is only going to increase that risk.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
My hope is that Lucic plays well enough that we'll be above to move him for a low pick or expiring contract. I think he is playing well and the role that he fills has value but there is just so much risk involved with this player and time is only going to increase that risk.

he wont' be traded for two reason. 1 Chia won't do it. 2. no one wants him.

My hope is that he either plays well enough to earn part of his contract, if he could be a 3 million dollar player at this point I would be happy. That or he gets hurt and rides out his contract on the LTIR. I think those are really the only two options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If he keeps playing like this I'd keep him and shed salary from the blueline instead (Sekera and Russell) and use their cap on younger defensemen that have more size and offense to their games.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lucic is playing how he was when he first entered the league... very physical and making an impact... just not directly on the scoresheet. I'd take it over what he was last year.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Mostly liking what I am seeing from him this year. Really noticing how much better he is with the puck when he is already moving forward than when he is standing still (the reason I don't like when he get used on zone entries on the PP).

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Edmonton Oilers Notebook: Draisaitl catching fire, so is Caggiula

HARD LINE

It doesn’t show up on a stats sheet and it’s impossible for the numbers crunchers to quantify, but Milan Lucic’s physical presence had a major impact in Saturday’s game.
Nashville tried several times to get at the likes of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Drake Caggiula after the whistle, but Lucic was having none of it. He’d roll in and start cuffing Predators around, begging somebody to deal with him if they had a problem, and the threat was over.
When your skilled players don’t have to look over their shoulders they are much more effective.
On top of that, he assisted on Edmonton’s second goal of the game, setting Draisaitl up for a sitter in front of the net.
“He’s probably been the bounce back player of the year for us,” said McLellan. “He’s playing in straight lines, his feet are moving, he’s very aware of where the puck is, making good, strong plays and there’s a physicality to his game every shift.
“He polices a little bit, but also has a knack to recover pucks and do things that are making him an effective player.”

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Anyone else see Ekholm trying to get tough with RNH and then completely *****ing out when Looch came in? Ekholm wouldn't even look Lucic in the eye he was so scared ****less of him.

It's too bad we don't have a short video of him kicking some last night.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Edmonton Oilers Notebook: Draisaitl catching fire, so is Caggiula

HARD LINE

It doesn’t show up on a stats sheet and it’s impossible for the numbers crunchers to quantify, but Milan Lucic’s physical presence had a major impact in Saturday’s game.
Nashville tried several times to get at the likes of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Drake Caggiula after the whistle, but Lucic was having none of it. He’d roll in and start cuffing Predators around, begging somebody to deal with him if they had a problem, and the threat was over.
When your skilled players don’t have to look over their shoulders they are much more effective.
On top of that, he assisted on Edmonton’s second goal of the game, setting Draisaitl up for a sitter in front of the net.
“He’s probably been the bounce back player of the year for us,” said McLellan. “He’s playing in straight lines, his feet are moving, he’s very aware of where the puck is, making good, strong plays and there’s a physicality to his game every shift.
“He polices a little bit, but also has a knack to recover pucks and do things that are making him an effective player.”

Good points pal. I hated years ago when we had everyone but McJesus and anyone could bully us. It was embarrassing because I’m lucky enough to be old enough to see the 80’s dynasty. If you did that crap back then, you had a few Oilers pounding on ya.
Know a days, do you want a Tom Wilson type player taking few whacks at RNH, Drai, and god forbid, McDavid. I love having Lucic, Nurse, and a Kassian or Khaira for that bs

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Good points pal. I hated years ago when we had everyone but McJesus and anyone could bully us. It was embarrassing because I’m lucky enough to be old enough to see the 80’s dynasty. If you did that crap back then, you had a few Oilers pounding on ya.
Know a days, do you want a Tom Wilson type player taking few whacks at RNH, Drai, and god forbid, McDavid. I love having Lucic, Nurse, and a Kassian or Khaira for that bs
I could not agree more. It seems people forget when after a whistle Hall, Eberle, and Nuge would be getting face washed and Petry would be 10 ft away slowly skating in a circle hoping the refs would figure it out.

One of Calgary’s biggest issues right now are the liberties being taken with zero response. Lucic was well worth the money Saturday night.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I remember Glencross bullying Nuge specifically. When a guy like that is allowed to get in your then franchise center's grill repeatedly with no answer, something is seriously wrong. Hall, Ebs and Schultz all got that treatment.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Anyone else see Ekholm trying to get tough with RNH and then completely *****ing out when Looch came in? Ekholm wouldn't even look Lucic in the eye he was so scared ****less of him.
This is the biggest difference from last year. He is never going to be Jagr with the puck, he is an inefficient skater, but he can be a smart player and still intimidate.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I could not agree more. It seems people forget when after a whistle Hall, Eberle, and Nuge would be getting face washed and Petry would be 10 ft away slowly skating in a circle hoping the refs would figure it out.

One of Calgary’s biggest issues right now are the liberties being taken with zero response. Lucic was well worth the money Saturday night.
there used to be a meme here of oilers players at the bus stop watching their teammates get bullied

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know. I'm not seeing what everyone else is here. Certainly he's trying harder but he's still an offensive black hole and didn't even hit anyone yesterday according to the statsheet.

You can't be paying this guy 6 million for zero ES goals, even if he's not in the top 6 (which he shouldn't be).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't know. I'm not seeing what everyone else is here. Certainly he's trying harder but he's still an offensive black hole and didn't even hit anyone yesterday according to the statsheet.

You can't be paying this guy 6 million for zero ES goals, even if he's not in the top 6 (which he shouldn't be).

The bar is so low after his half season of nothing that the fact he's actually moving his feet is cause for celebration.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The bar is so low after his half season of nothing that the fact he's actually moving his feet is cause for celebration.
He definitely looks better than last season but the fact he's contributing nothing offensively is still a concern. For the amount he makes, just hitting guys isn't enough.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He definitely looks better than last season but the fact he's contributing nothing offensively is still a concern. For the amount he makes, just hitting guys isn't enough.

They've been better at moving the puck the right way and Lucic's had at least one great chance that he's failed to cash in each of the last couple of games. They keep that up, it's good for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese