Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Jacques' 5v5 P/60 during that stretch was actually 1.04 with about a 1400 minute less sample size than Lucic.

edit: His numbers are wrong for Lucic too. 1.24 P/60 during that stretch.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially from someone with an obvious agenda.

Close enough. Comparing bad to bad. ANd one guy got glued to McDavid's hip for months of his sample size.

Fair enough with ones where you compare a guy with a short career that included a hot streak to a regular player. But, JFJ and Lucic is just a bad to bad comparison. Lucic's numbers could just speak for themselves. JFJ's numbers just add some humor to a sad sight of a 6M guy.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Lucic is so bad most of the time.

That last minute was him in a nutshell. The PP just enters the zone, and he goes to back pass it to Klefbom, who is only like 5 feet away from him, but misses by like 5 feet on the pass.
Oilers get the puck back, set back up, enter the zone, then the puck goes to him and he blindly rings it around the boards behind the net to the other side. Problem is, there aren't any teammates there and the puck swiftly leaves the zone.

What can you say.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lucic looking bad again. He's a offensive black-hole because literally every play dies on his stick.

I kinda hope there is a mini lockout and each team can get 2 compliance buy-outs. This team needs to rid itself of Lucic and Sekera (too bad with all his injuries).

Reactions: dawunderboy

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Lucic looking bad again. He's a offensive black-hole because literally every play dies on his stick.

I kinda hope there is a mini lockout and each team can get 2 compliance buy-outs. This team needs to rid itself of Lucic and Sekera (too bad with all his injuries).

1 buyout will be enough. Let's hope these idiots can swallow their pride and rid themselves of this awful experiment.

He is contributing nothing to this team. He can't score 5v5 for 3 years now. He can't pk. He can't play in OT. Lol he's on the pp but can't even get a puck to bounce off his ass in the net more than once every 50 games.

Guy is utterly useless. The so-called nuclear deterrent is having Kassian and jujhair fight more than he does.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He made some really good defensive plays . He also set up his linemates but they couldn't bury anything.

Other than the lines unbelievable puck luck they are playing well.

Can you believe Strome. Plays on a shut down third line. Doesn't have a single point yet is only -1. Amazing.

Reactions: ujju2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kyle Brodziak outscored his entire season tonight.

There's absolutely no reason for Lucic to only have 1 goal at this point, especially on the first PP unit.

Reactions: redgrant

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Can you believe Strome. Plays on a shut down third line. Doesn't have a single point yet is only -1. Amazing.

It's not really a shutdown line though. The Strome line is playing mostly against the other team's third and fourth lines.

space321

May 11, 2011
He made some really good defensive plays . He also set up his linemates but they couldn't bury anything.

Other than the lines unbelievable puck luck they are playing well.

Not gonna win any championships with that 9M 3rd line scoring 0 points.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It's not really a shutdown line though. The Strome line is playing mostly against the other team's third and fourth lines.
There were a few posters that pointed out that the line is playing mostly against 2nd and 1st lines.

Perhaps that has changed the last few games.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lucic looks lost out there.

If he keeps this up, he might get shipwrecked on LTIR island.

Honestly I'd be pretty happy if we could manage that. I'm skeptical we could though. The Oilers have never been league darlings like the rest of the LTIRetirement teams and Chiarelli doesn't seem like the sly/dishonest type to fudge medical reports to fix a bad decision.

Freeing up Lucic's money to make a move for players like Stone, Duchene or even a Karlsson signing next summer could be huge.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I hope Chiarelli can unload him at the trade deadline. Something. Anything. He's taking up a spot.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
After a good 1st game, it's quite clear that he's not going to have a bounce back year like we all desperately hoped.
We now have a bottom 6 winger that's over paid by $4-5 million.
What a waste of money, imagine what we could do with the extra $6M capspace. Could have gotten a top-line winger or top-3 defenceman.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I actually sympathize with Strome. He's given him some chances that a Kassian khaira or brodziak could finish but Lucic has concrete hands. Strome should have a few assists if this gorilla could actually bury a chance.

Would prefer Chiasson on pp1. At least he's earned it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He is very much a 3rd line grinder now. He looks quicker and isn’t killing the team as much defensively which is nice. He has no business on a 1st PP unit anymore though. McLellan needs to just start treating him like what he is, 3rd liner big body with limited skills with the puck. Should be making 2m for his skill set relative to where the league is today, but oh well. There is no point anymore dragging the 1st pP unit down waiting for him to be something he isn’t.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What I don't get is why doesn't he stand in front of the net? He is always like 5 feet off to the side looking for a tap in other deflection I guess? But he can't make or receive a pass so it's a weird strategy.

We all saw the abuse Smyth used to take in front of the net and dmen can't play like that anymore. So someone like Lucic should be virtually unmoveable.

If he just screened the goalie he would probably have more points just from pucks hitting him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What you see is what we’ll have to live with. I’m just happy he is playing well enough that the third line is able to tread water. I feel sorry for Puljujarvi. His left winger is a void and his center is just adequate. Putting up some points would do wonders for him. Good luck with that back there. His speed does help that line saw off the competition I think.

Reactions: Little Fury

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There were a few posters that pointed out that the line is playing mostly against 2nd and 1st lines.

Perhaps that has changed the last few games.

Looks like they have generally avoided those matchups all season.

EDM at BOS

EDM at WPG

WSH at EDM

CHI at EDM

That's four random games. Strome played against Laine in the Winnipeg game, The other 3 he generally played against 3rd and 4th lines.

So Strome's line has seen some time against other top six lines which is pretty normal, but they definitely aren't being used as a shutdown line.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
One of these days we'll talk about how Lucic is a borderline NHL player at best at this point, if even that. aside from a 1.5 month span where he scored a ton of PP goals at the end of the season in 16-17- hes been a bad player for this team. We can talk all we want about what he did in 2009-2014, how he needs to play with x player, his contract, his chances, how he is faster...bottom line is, he hasn't been getting it done, at all. He's hit David Clarkson level bad.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Lucic has looked better to start the year (visually not statistically). He was actually pretty good statistically last year to start but then fell off a cliff.

Unfortunately it just seems whatever line he gets put on, doesnt produce. He struggles to make simple plays. They really need to get him off of the PP1, he really hurts it imo. I also think he isnt creating much on the third line, which is a black hole atm.

I do think he has some value in that he controls other teams from gooning McDavid, Drai etc a bit.

I dont know what you do with the guy though. If you cant trade him, not sure what you do with him. Seems like he makes everyone around him worse.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What I don't get is why doesn't he stand in front of the net? He is always like 5 feet off to the side looking for a tap in other deflection I guess? But he can't make or receive a pass so it's a weird strategy.

We all saw the abuse Smyth used to take in front of the net and dmen can't play like that anymore. So someone like Lucic should be virtually unmoveable.

If he just screened the goalie he would probably have more points just from pucks hitting him.

This really annoys me as well. He never screens the goalie. So whats the purpose of him being on the PP and in that position? I cant imagine the coaching staff is telling him to stand off to side everytime a shot is coming through.

I wonder whos really pushing him being on the first unit PP. Coach? GM? Players? Something needs to change. Put him on PP2 where he stands infront of the net. No standing on the side.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This really annoys me as well. He never screens the goalie. So whats the purpose of him being on the PP and in that position? I cant imagine the coaching staff is telling him to stand off to side everytime a shot is coming through.

I wonder whos really pushing him being on the first unit PP. Coach? GM? Players? Something needs to change. Put him on PP2 where he stands infront of the net. No standing on the side.
Chiasson screens the goalie better than him. I don't know why Lucic would be anywhere other than right in front of the goalie. He's not a skill guy by any means.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO he has looked better, but at some point you have to put the puck in the net. Both him and Strome need to get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad