Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

space321

May 11, 2011
Lucic scored in the 1st game and added an assist and has been riding that high for the past 9 games. Add in some physical play and all of a sudden he's a good player apparently lol.

Truth is he still sucks at everything that involves skating, passing, carrying the puck, so like 90% of the game.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lucic scored in the 1st game and added an assist and has been riding that high for the past 9 games. Add in some physical play and all of a sudden he's a good player apparently lol.

Truth is he still sucks at everything that involves skating, passing, carrying the puck, so like 90% of the game.
He's been a good player for the entirety of his career. The only way you could call him a bad hockey player is if the only hockey youever watched was 36 games from last year.

Truth is, you have no idea what you're trying to talk about.

Reactions: nabob

space321

May 11, 2011
He's been a good player for the entirety of his career. The only way you could call him a bad hockey player is if the only hockey youever watched was 36 games from last year.

Truth is, you have no idea what you're trying to talk about.

Did I say he was always bad? Why would I care what he did 5 years ago and what relevance does that have to this team now and in the future?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Did I say he was always bad? Why would I care what he did 5 years ago and what relevance does that have to this team now and in the future?
Because you said "he's good all of a sudden apparently".
He's always been good, he just hit a slump last year coupled with depression.

Even the best players in every sport slump. Problem is HF only has a what have you done for me lately mindset, and people like to forget about what guys have done consistently over 10 years in favor of what someone did for a small sample size over half of one season without taking into account any sort of extenuating circumstances. Like, oh I don't know, the entire team playing like absolute trash all year, not just 36 games?

space321

May 11, 2011
Because you said "he's good all of a sudden apparently".
He's always been good, he just hit a slump last year coupled with depression.

Even the best players in every sport slump. Problem is HF only has a what have you done for me lately mindset, and people like to forget about what guys have done consistently over 10 years in favor of what someone did for a small sample size over half of one season.

I was in fact comparing him to his play last season. You have some reading comprehension problems.

Again, please tell me how his 30g season in Boston 8 years ago would help this team now? Also can you please go look at the thread title? We're talking about whether he can/has bounced back, aka the thread implies his play was bad last season and now we're comparing it with his play this season. My opinion is that he hasn't improved very much, only being physical doesn't cut it.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I have been one of the biggest critics of Lucic,but this season he is playing great , the points might not be there but defensively we're seeing a side of Lucic that at least I never knew exsisted in him . He is skating harder than ever as an Oiler

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know that some people hate him on the PP, but he has contributed on some big PP goals for our team. I think that soon the offense will get going at ES for Looch and Strome.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I find it funny people are saying he has bounced back? He is on pace for about 30 points and 10 goals. He is hitting which is good, but he still is doing very poorly for his ice time.

I felt Lucic at the end of last year was border line not an NHL. He has worked his way back to be solid enough bottom 6 guy. But that isnt' bouncing back. It is still an eyesore of a contract. He is maybe worth 3 mill at this point. Maybe.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I was in fact comparing him to his play last season. You have some reading comprehension problems.

Again, please tell me how his 30g season in Boston 8 years ago would help this team now? Also can you please go look at the thread title? We're talking about whether he can/has bounced back, aka the thread implies his play was bad last season and now we're comparing it with his play this season. My opinion is that he hasn't improved very much, only being physical doesn't cut it.
His play 8 years ago is relevant because it was the same every year since that, with the sole exception being 36 games to end last year. Even before Christmas last hlyear he was on Pace to do the exact same thing he did 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years ago. It's completely relevent.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I find it funny people are saying he has bounced back? He is on pace for about 30 points and 10 goals. He is hitting which is good, but he still is doing very poorly for his ice time.

I felt Lucic at the end of last year was border line not an NHL. He has worked his way back to be solid enough bottom 6 guy. But that isnt' bouncing back. It is still an eyesore of a contract. He is maybe worth 3 mill at this point. Maybe.
well offensively, he's on pace for 30 points but he's at least looking engaged and getting chances

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Scoring is not winning games. And hitting is only an "intangible" for people who have never been hit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I havent seen a single post suggesting that Lucic is playing a complete game. The offence isnt there yet but he is getting offensive chances...the offence should come especially on the PP.

I have been happy with Stromes game for the most part but as an offensive centre he is lacking and that is likely playing a role with Lucic as well.

For now Lucic is doing a lot of little things including managing the puck a lot better. These things matter.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lucic has been as good as Lucic can be so far this season. I think we should accept he's not going to be a 60+ point player, but his game is not about that. If he can chip in at a 0.5 PPG pace while smashing people and protecting our star players we should be happy. Does this means he's a 6M player? No, but it does mean he's helping our team win.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I havent seen a single post suggesting that Lucic is playing a complete game. The offence isnt there yet but he is getting offensive chances...the offence should come especially on the PP.

I have been happy with Stromes game for the most part but as an offensive centre he is lacking and that is likely playing a role with Lucic as well.

For now Lucic is doing a lot of little things including managing the puck a lot better. These things matter.

I'm not expecting a ton of offense from those two, but I think there's some bad luck happening there.

They're generating more scoring chances than the rest of the team as a whole(27.41 SCF/60 vs. 25.09) as well as more high danger chances(14.69 HDCF/60 vs. 9.96).

The problem is they have a 0% onSH%.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not expecting a ton of offense from those two, but I think there's some bad luck happening there.

They're generating more scoring chances than the rest of the team as a whole(27.41 SCF/60 vs. 25.09) as well as more high danger chances(14.69 HDCF/60 vs. 9.96).

The problem is they have a 0% onSH%.

That is enlightening..thanks for posting it.
It certainly does suggest that more offence is on the way.

Not only good news for the players but the team has been winning despite the lack of offence form the 3rd line. Once they are able to contribute thats yet another source of secondary offence .

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Lucic, Strome, and Caggiula were pumped in the possession game at 5x5 last night. And they were all exposed either on our weak PP or horrible PK.

Lucic specifically is starting to drift back to last year territory in terms of struggles...

JSlick

Oct 17, 2016
Edmonton
Lucic should never touch the puck on the ice unless he's within a 2 meter radius of the opposing teams net. Jesus christ, how can a professional hockey player be so unskilled with the puck

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Lucic has 1 5v5 goal in his last 70 games. You'd be hard pressed to find any player in the last 5 years who matches this record, let alone one who plays over 13 minutes a night at even strength. Seriously, even defensive dmen score more than 1 5v5 goal in 70 games. Zach f***ing Stortini was scoring around 5 goals a season at 5v5 when he was here. This isn't a slump, he's just terrible.

He's being gifted PP1 minutes with Connor McDavid and he's not even going to break 30 points this season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lucic has 1 5v5 goal in his last 70 games. You'd be hard pressed to find any player in the last 5 years who matches this record, let alone one who plays over 13 minutes a night at even strength. Seriously, even defensive dmen score more than 1 5v5 goal in 70 games. Zach ****ing Stortini was scoring around 5 goals a season at 5v5 when he was here. This isn't a slump, he's just terrible.

He's being gifted PP1 minutes with Connor McDavid and he's not even going to break 30 points this season.

Everyone knows that he was shit on a stick in the second half of last season so adding those stats to this season doesn't add anything that we don't know. It's clear that bottom 6 scoring has been an issue and it doesn't help that one of our most skilled wingers has had a birds eye view of the ice for 4 games in a row. Put Jesse or Yamo on that line and they should at least chip in the odd goal.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Everyone knows that he was **** on a stick in the second half of last season so adding those stats to this season doesn't add anything that we don't know. It's clear that bottom 6 scoring has been an issue and it doesn't help that one of our most skilled wingers has had a birds eye view of the ice for 4 games in a row. Put Jesse or Yamo on that line and they should at least chip in the odd goal.
Lucic is one of the biggest reasons why our bottom 6 scoring is a disaster. His 5v5 scoring has been awful ever since he signed here, and the only reason his numbers look half decent in 2016-2017 is because of a career year on the powerplay. People keep calling this a slump, but slumps don't last for 2 years.

I honestly don't think he'll score more 5v5 goals this year than JF Jacques did in 2009-2010. That's how bad he is.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lucic is one of the biggest reasons why our bottom 6 scoring is a disaster. His 5v5 scoring has been awful ever since he signed here, and the only reason his numbers look half decent in 2016-2017 is because of a career year on the powerplay. People keep calling this a slump, but slumps don't last for 2 years.

I honestly don't think he'll score more 5v5 goals this year than JF Jacques did in 2009-2010. That's how bad he is.

Things will turn around for him and Strome at some point. How many did JFJ have back then?

space321

May 11, 2011
Things will turn around for him and Strome at some point. How many did JFJ have back then?

I sure hope so. I think McDavid could drag this team into the playoffs (with some help from RNH, Drai) but we seriously need more depth scoring if we are ever going to think about contending. Look at how a guy like Eller can be so valuable to a championship calibre team. Then look at our 3C that we traded our only scoring RW for... disappointment is all I see.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Strome for sure. I don't think things will turn around for Lucic. He's been brutal since the beginning of last season, and the season prior he was awful at 5v5.

Jacques had 4 goals that year, playing like 5 minutes a night probably. Just based off of Lucic's last 82 games, he won't hit that mark.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

That's a hell of an assumption there. I understand there's only 72 games left for him to put some points up which isn't much time, but there's definitely a chance he and many others on the team get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad