Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ottawa's climate is worse than Edmonton's, plus it's further away from his family on the west coast. And the team has even less hope than here. I don't see it.

Realistically it's keep him, buy him out or pray like hell Seattle takes him.

It's still easy enough to get a direct flight from Ottawa to Vancouver, it's not like Edmonton is driving distance or something.

I honestly think he would literally waive for any team, lol. Edmonton isn't the worst city in the world, but lets be honest, if you're here for hockey and the hockey is going bad ... it's a terrible place to be stuck in for the months of November/December/January/February/March in particular. And the team's travel schedule is horrid, Taylor Hall was talking about the biggest change he noticed going out East is how the travel is so much easier.

At least in Ottawa too the fam can easily go to Toronto, New York, Boston, etc. etc. In Edmonton there's uh ... cow dung Calgary nearby and uh ... yeah.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's still easy enough to get a direct flight from Ottawa to Vancouver, it's not like Edmonton is driving distance or something.

I honestly think he would literally waive for any team, lol. Edmonton isn't the worst city in the world, but lets be honest, if you're here for hockey and the hockey is going bad ... it's a terrible place to be stuck in for the months of November/December/January/February/March in particular. And the team's travel schedule is horrid, Taylor Hall was talking about the biggest change he noticed going out East is how the travel is so much easier.

It's a nice thought, but it involves way too many things breaking right for the Oilers to happen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's a nice thought, but it involves way too many things breaking right for the Oilers to happen.

A cap floor team taking a salary of $1.67 mill average isn't really that outrageous of an idea 15 months from now.

Unless his wife really, really loves West Edmonton Mall and -30 weekends in the winter and snow drifts the size of a house, I doubt the NMC issue is going to really be much of a factor (hey at least it works in our favor for a change).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A cap floor team taking a salary of $1.67 mill average isn't really that outrageous of an idea 15 months from now.

Unless his wife really, really loves West Edmonton Mall and -30 weekends in the winter, I doubt the NMC issue is going to really be much of a factor (hey at least it works in our favor for a change).

We'll see. My money is on Lucic finishing his career as an Oiler one way or another.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We'll see. My money is on Lucic finishing his career as an Oiler one way or another.

I'd take that bet easily. He will not finish his career as an Oiler. People act like "untradable" contracts never get moved, don't buy into the kool-aid just because you read it on HFBoards. David Clarkson was able to be moved.

To be honest if I could have him for 1.67 million/average salary, I'd take him even if his offensive game sucks, he is still a pain in the ass on the cycle/forecheck and there are still guys who will think twice about doing something too stupid because he's around.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd take that bet easily. He will not finish his career as an Oiler. People act like "untradable" contracts never get moved, don't buy into the kool-aid just because you read it on HFBoards. David Clarkson was able to be moved.
Trading untradeable contracts requires actual competent management.

Also Clarkson isn't a detriment on the ice.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Untradeable contracts get moved all the time. For other bad contracts (Clarkson was moved for Horton, remember) or for expensive sweeteners (Datsyuk+16th overall). They don't magically disappear.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
At this point we can only hope Reaves and Wilson victimize a bunch of teams in the playoffs and some team freaks out and acquire Looch this offseason.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At this point we can only hope Reaves and Wilson victimize a bunch of teams in the playoffs and some team freaks out and acquire Looch this offseason.

Pens get beat up, think they need a Reaves replacement, trade Lucic for Kessel.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Pens get beat up, think they need a Reaves replacement, trade Lucic for Kessel.

The pens have Gudbranson... and make no mistake about it acquiring Gudbranson was 100% because of Tom Wilson... so let's hope another team pulls that move and acquires Lucic.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Pretty much. That's what I'm hoping. Teams with huge dbag players going far just to create that image that you 'need' these types to succeed

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pretty much. That's what I'm hoping. Teams with huge dbag players going far just to create that image that you 'need' these types to succeed

Yeah but teams looking for toughness will probably have watched the last three years of Lucic and know his days as a physical force are behind him.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The pens have Gudbranson... and make no mistake about it acquiring Gudbranson was 100% because of Tom Wilson... so let's hope another team pulls that move and acquires Lucic.
Then the Oilers only hope is that a Cup favorite, like TB, gets bounced by the physical play of Pittsburgh or Washington. Even then it would have a low chance of happening.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I think we are stuck with him, at least for two more years after which his actual salary is less. While its possible to maybe entice someone to take him, I think the price would be exorbitant. Like Evan Bouchard or our 1st plus Benson/Yamamoto. We dont have the depth to take that hit yet, IMO.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
In my view, Lucic on the opening day roster next season will be a sign of incompetent management. You compound the mistake of signing him by continuing to play him. It was a mistake. Own it. Pay for it. Move on.

If he's on the roster he has to be Robidas island all year. And, if you're going to do that, you might as well buy him out.

The NHL is the best league in the world and you CANNOT win if you aren't icing the BEST PLAYERS you possibly can. There have been ample reasons to press box Lucic this season and two coaches have been unable to do it because of his contract, period. Don't give the coaches a choice and don't force them to turn Lucic into a negative influence (which he has essentially already been overall the past 2 seasons by not producing and still playing while others are held to a different standard).

He HAS to be off the club.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
^^^^ Yep he's done stick a fork in him. I bet if we invite Hemsky to training camp at 35 this fall, he will cleaning beat him for spot. Why not? He;ll likely get more than 5 goals and wont cost $6m

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In my view, Lucic on the opening day roster next season will be a sign of incompetent management. You compound the mistake of signing him by continuing to play him. It was a mistake. Own it. Pay for it. Move on.

If he's on the roster he has to be Robidas island all year. And, if you're going to do that, you might as well buy him out.

The NHL is the best league in the world and you CANNOT win if you aren't icing the BEST PLAYERS you possibly can. There have been ample reasons to press box Lucic this season and two coaches have been unable to do it because of his contract, period. Don't give the coaches a choice and don't force them to turn Lucic into a negative influence (which he has essentially already been overall the past 2 seasons by not producing and still playing while others are held to a different standard).

He HAS to be off the club.

You don't know much about the contract do you?

Its buyout proof and he can't be buried in the minors

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
How can it not be buyout proof? Every contract is possible for buy outs even if it is costly. It is trade proof, but he can waive under pressure.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
the only way we can trade Looch IMO is retaining half his salary

Probably need to add a top pick or great prospect with that still. THis guy is a literal boat anchor. 3M for a way below replacement level player is still 3M too much for any team that has any interest in winning games.

Sheesh, the only time I've really noticed Lucic (aside from being a giveaway machine) since his little goal spurt at the start of 2019 was when he gave energy to the Devils by fighting a no-name AHLer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably need to add a top pick or great prospect with that still. THis guy is a literal boat anchor. 3M for a way below replacement level player is still 3M too much for any team that has any interest in winning games.

Sheesh, the only time I've really noticed Lucic (aside from being a giveaway machine) since his little goal spurt at the start of 2019 was when he gave energy to the Devils by fighting a no-name AHLer.

It's not 3M in actual salary though, that's the thing, for a team that's not spending to the cap anyway, that number is somewhat meaningless.

The actual money being paid is what's more important to those teams, having a higher cap hit than salary is actually beneficial to those teams because they want to hit the cap floor with less actual salary paid. It saves the team money.

If they trade him this summer on or after July 1 at 50% retained his actual salary becomes $2 million/season average.

If they trade him the summer after this one on or after July 1 at 50% retained his actual salary becomes $1.67 million/season average. So basically the team taking him gets a $3 mill cap hit, but really only $1.67 million in average salary ... that will probably work well for a cap floor team.

The *good* things about his contract are that it was front loaded and on July 1 there a signing bonus that brings down his remaining actual salary substantially to make it cheaper for a team to acquire him. A smart team would take advantage of that, the "Oilers way" would be to just blindly buy him out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3