Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
[Mod: last thread was over the thread post limit - continue here]

I feel like Lucic struggling this year might be very valuable for him moving forward. I feel he is going to appraoch the off-season focusing on reshaping his game...skills coach, getting lighter, getting faster. All of those things might turn Lucic into an extremely valuable player for this team moving forward. I also feel that Tmac doesn't understand how to utilize Lucic to the best of his ability and that under a new coach...if that happens, Lucic will be put in a position that suits his strengths. I don't feel he is a lost cause, but just like many others on this team, a product of the broken system overall due to the coaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I feel like Lucic struggling this year might be very valuable for him moving forward. I feel he is going to appraoch the off-season focusing on reshaping his game...skills coach, getting lighter, getting faster. All of those things might turn Lucic into an extremely valuable player for this team moving forward. I also feel that Tmac doesn't understand how to utilize Lucic to the best of his ability and that under a new coach...if that happens, Lucic will be put in a position that suits his strengths. I don't feel he is a lost cause, but just like many others on this team, a product of the broken system overall due to the coaching.

I kind of thought he was reinventing himself last off season, both physically and mentally?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I thought this was a tongue in cheek post until I caught the original date stamp and so this is not a recent post, its 9mths ago..I guess I could see somebody possibly thinking Lucic is bouncing back last spring. Nobody I see is thinking that now. I just tire of watching the player now. Could Boston even love this player again?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

space321

May 11, 2011
I like how this topic got a second thread lmao

we have people predicting he's going to score before every game, yet it never happens

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Could Boston even love this player again?

Yes.

Something in Boston, be it the media, front office or fans really neutered him as a player.

I’m sure you guys didn’t see a lot of him in Boston but he was a one man wrecking crew. Just as a prime example, look at the 4 goal comeback against the Leafs in 2013. The guy never lost a battle in the corner, was a beast in front of the net and when he first came up, one of the toughest non-goon fighters in the league. Made Montreal sign one of the toughest goons in the league to follow around a 19 year old Milan Lucic.

When he first entered into the league, prior to the entire Bruins fan base going fully soft, everyone was saying he had to fight. He did, and became a cult-like hero. His offense started to come around and all of a sudden, no one wanted him to hit anymore. Had a down year offensively and many people turned on him. When you’re not beating the life out of everyone else, then you struggle to score, he was pushed out of Boston about a decade too early.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like how this topic got a second thread lmao

we have people predicting he's going to score before every game, yet it never happens

I like how there have had about 4 Fire Chia threads, with some guys posting the exact same thing about 500 times each in each of them...lmao.....we have people predicting he's going to be fired after every game, yet it never happens.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
This thread has a second life like Lucic?
Really like to to Lucic do well but I think he's had his chance playing in all type of roles and its just not working out in Edmonton

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This thread has a second life like Lucic?
Really like to to Lucic do well but I think he's had his chance playing in all type of roles and its just not working out in Edmonton

Agreed.

Having a bad year or generally declining a bit is fine. He fell off a cliff and you can pin point it to an exact day almost.

Beyond bizarre and lends itself to thinking that a comeback here in Edmonton is unlikely.

I really like the player and if possible would give him one more year to get his groove back but if he plays this way for another full year you have to just cut bait and run.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed.

Having a bad year or generally declining a bit is fine. He fell off a cliff and you can pin point it to an exact day almost.

Beyond bizarre and lends itself to thinking that a comeback here in Edmonton is unlikely.

I really like the player and if possible would give him one more year to get his groove back but if he plays this way for another full year you have to just cut bait and run.

Kinda hard to "cut bait and run" when no one would take him. If there's a deal on the table that would be available now the Oilers would be stupid to look past it.

He's had all of the 2nd half of last year to bounce back. Nope. Then it was for sure he would bounce back this year? OK nope. Well then it was they got Hitchcock and a new coach would surely get him going. Uh nope.

They've played him on the PP, they've tied him to McDavid, they've even force fed him minutes with an empty net and he still has found ways to not score.

On top of that he probably did ask for a trade last summer, just in a more "polite" way. But I doubt very much he is happy here at all. This ain't LA where you can just go to a beach and relax after the game, it's cold winter up here and everyone in the city knows you're stinking up the joint.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Kinda hard to "cut bait and run" when no one would take him. If there's a deal on the table that would be available now the Oilers would be stupid to look past it.

He's had all of the 2nd half of last year to bounce back. Nope. Then it was for sure he would bounce back this year? OK nope. Well then it was they got Hitchcock and a new coach would surely get him going. Uh nope.

They've played him on the PP, they've tied him to McDavid, they've even force fed him minutes with an empty net and he still has found ways to not score.

On top of that he probably did ask for a trade last summer, just in a more "polite" way. But I doubt very much he is happy here at all. This ain't LA where you can just go to a beach and relax after the game, it's cold winter up here and everyone in the city knows you're stinking up the joint.

Lucic played at least decent until the second half of last year. How do you bounce back from playing well?

He technically has not even played bad for a full regular season.

And has ten? Years of good play previous.

I should have clarified. Cut bait means bench, bury, or buyout.

Trade obviously would be nice but the Oilers can not afford to give up assets to move him and even a sideways bad contract for bad contract isn't ideal imo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic played at least decent until the second half of last year. How do you bounce back from playing well?

He technically has not even played bad for a full regular season.

And has ten? Years of good play previous.

I should have clarified. Cut bait means bench, bury, or buyout.

Trade obviously would be nice but the Oilers can not afford to give up assets to move him and even a sideways bad contract for bad contract isn't ideal imo.

They knew this guy had a degenerative back condition. He's 30.

Is it really such a reach to think that condition might be beginning to impact him in earnest?

The Oilers never should've signed this guy, someone approaching his 30s with a lot of miles on him wanting a $42 million contract that has a degenerative back condition that was going to kick in at some point.

Stupid, stupid risk.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They knew this guy had a degenerative back condition. He's 30.

Is it really such a reach to think that condition might be beginning to impact him in earnest?

The Oilers never should've signed this guy, someone approaching his 30s with a lot of miles on him wanting a $42 million contract that has a degenerative back condition that was going to kick in at some point.

Stupid, stupid risk.

He was one of/the top ranked UFAs. He got an extra year or two max out of Chiarelli. No knew had him pegged to fall apart this last year already.

Common. Hindsight is 20 20.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was one of/the top ranked UFAs. He got an extra year or two max out of Chiarelli. No knew had him pegged to fall apart this last year already.

Common. Hindsight is 20 20.

Craig Simpson said on radio the day of the signing that the Oilers would regret it within 2 years. Guess he had magical hindsight vision.

There's always a "logic" to every bad move a GM has ever made. Pocklington could write a book on why it was logical to trade Wayne Gretzky.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Craig Simpson said on radio the day of the signing that the Oilers would regret it within 2 years. Guess he had magical hindsight vision.

There's always a "logic" to every bad move a GM has ever made. Pocklington could write a book on why it was logical to trade Wayne Gretzky.

Never been impressed with Craig Simpson personally, post playing speaking. I think this is more a case of a broken clock being right twice a day.

I called James Neal being immediately regretted by Calgary but I had far more information to base that off of.

At the time Lucic was signed the nhl wax very much a bigger slower league. I would even point out teams like the Caps (cup winner) and Winnipeg are still morexactly based on size than speed.

Power forwards used to last into thier 30's. Not so in today's NHL.

Brouwer, Lucic, Erikson, and Baches are all examples of power forwards that once the nhl got faster couldnt handle a top 6 role.

Neals contract with all that data in today's current environment is doomed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Never been impressed with Craig Simpson personally, post playing speaking. I think this is more a case of a broken clock being right twice a day.

I called James Neal being immediately regretted by Calgary but I had far more information to base that off of.

At the time Lucic was signed the nhl wax very much a bigger slower league. I would even point out teams like the Caps (cup winner) and Winnipeg are still morexactly based on size than speed.

Power forwards used to last into thier 30's. Not so in today's NHL.

Brouwer, Lucic, Erikson, and Baches are all examples of power forwards that once the nhl got faster couldnt handle a top 6 role.

Neals contract with all that data in today's current environment is doomed.

A lot of people said it was a bad contract to sign and Lucic would decline hard, it wasn't some opinion exclusive to Simpson. He just happened to be spot on. It was received well here because of the "oh shit we traded Hall and totally lost that trade, we better sign a winger noooooow!" type reactionary stuff.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A lot of people said it was a bad contract to sign and Lucic would decline hard, it wasn't some opinion exclusive to Simpson. He just happened to be spot on. It was received well here because of the "oh **** we traded Hall and totally lost that trade, we better sign a winger noooooow!" type reactionary stuff.

Top ufa....

Many said we gave him too much term and would regret that. Few, besides apparently the great Craig Simpson, thought we would regret it this quickly.

Let's not revise history based off of Craig Simpson.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Top ufa....

Many said we gave him too much term and would regret that. Few, besides apparently the great Craig Simpson, thought we would regret it this quickly.

Let's not revise history based off of Craig Simpson.

It's not revising history to say there were critics of the deal from day 1. And basically they've been proven right.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's not revising history to say there were critics of the deal from day 1. And basically they've been proven right.

Sure.

That's fair even if not exactly what I was responding to.

I'm off for a bit. While I don't agree with you the conversation was interesting and civil ☺

I'm sure we'll be back at it later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad