Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
How can it not be buyout proof? Every contract is possible for buy outs even if it is costly. It is trade proof, but he can waive under pressure.
It can be bought out, but given that it is comprised largely of signing bonuses there are very little savings to be had. The exact savings figure has been discussed here several times, and it is somewhere around maybe $400k per year, if I remember correctly. It has been referred to as “buyout proof” because, no matter what, the player will receive the vast majority of the contract amount, not because of any magical clause exempting it from CBA rules. Chiarelli was a bonehead. Period.

Reactions: MikeYEG

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's not 3M in actual salary though, that's the thing, for a team that's not spending to the cap anyway, that number is somewhat meaningless.

The actual money being paid is what's more important to those teams, having a higher cap hit than salary is actually beneficial to those teams because they want to hit the cap floor with less actual salary paid. It saves the team money.

If they trade him this summer on or after July 1 at 50% retained his actual salary becomes $2 million/season average.

If they trade him the summer after this one on or after July 1 at 50% retained his actual salary becomes $1.67 million/season average. So basically the team taking him gets a $3 mill cap hit, but really only $1.67 million in average salary ... that will probably work well for a cap floor team.

The *good* things about his contract are that it was front loaded and on July 1 there a signing bonus that brings down his remaining actual salary substantially to make it cheaper for a team to acquire him. A smart team would take advantage of that, the "Oilers way" would be to just blindly buy him out.

Agree there are some nice things there in terms of salary vs cap hit, but I think you exhaust all other possible options before taking on Lucic though. I can't find the article about these kinds of deals, but someone did an analysis of guys that are retired, injured and/or have deals with backdiving structure that makes their cap hit attractive vs salary. I think the list is still pretty long. Long enough that Lucic would be seen as a very late last ditch kind of option only if you're extremely desperate to hit the floor.

The hardest part to swallow with him would be how many years you would have to commit to, and how he is going to want to play out his deal (no chance at LTIR IMO with him, he's doing an extra good job lately of keeping his body safe), and he is already a splatter at the bottom of the cliff, he fell completely off a year and a half ago. Guy is just a drag on his team now.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agree there are some nice things there in terms of salary vs cap hit, but I think you exhaust all other possible options before taking on Lucic though. I can't find the article about these kinds of deals, but someone did an analysis of guys that are retired, injured and/or have deals with backdiving structure that makes their cap hit attractive vs salary. I think the list is still pretty long. Long enough that Lucic would be seen as a very late last ditch kind of option only if you're extremely desperate to hit the floor.

The hardest part to swallow with him would be how many years you would have to commit to, and how he is going to want to play, and he is already a splatter at the bottom of the cliff, he fell completely off a year and a half ago. Guy is just a drag on his team now.

If you're a rebuilding team that needs draft picks, getting a 2nd for a 1.67 million average salary player that helps you hit the cap floor for less actual money is a win-win.

To be honest he still keeps some opposing teams honest. Nobody in the last three years has really done anything crazy/over the line to any of our players, part of that I think is because not many players in the league want to go home with their face dented in.

Teams play McDavid tough, which you would expect, but the crazy shit that used to happen to Hall and Hemsky, that's really toned down.

At 50% retained I'd have interest if I was Vancouver. Some of the abuse I've seen Petterson take is really ridiculous. They need to get someone who will make teams think twice about doing that kind of stuff.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you're a rebuilding team that needs draft picks, getting a 2nd for a 1.67 million average salary player that helps you hit the cap floor for less actual money is a win-win.

We'll see if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't know if teams are that desperate these days to hit the floor to take junk players that aren't easy to pop on LTIR or retired. Think there are better options than taking on 4 years of Lucic, at any cost really.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We'll see if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't know if teams are that desperate these days to hit the floor to take junk players that aren't easy to pop on LTIR or retired. Think there are better options than taking on 4 years of Lucic, at any cost really.

It would be 3 years since that would have to summer 2020 in that scenario.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If there’s a silver lining in this crap season maybe it’s that Lucic has seen enough that he waives his NMC so they can trade him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It would be 3 years since that would have to summer 2020 in that scenario.

Ahh, yeah, more time we put into watching this bum, I guess it should get a little easier each year to find a way to move him. Hope we don't have to wait until the last 2 years.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If there’s a silver lining in this crap season maybe it’s that Lucic has seen enough that he waives his NMC so they can trade him.

Generously expands his list from Boston and LA to Boston, LA, Vegas, Vancouver and San Jose?

If I was him, the #1 goal would be the buyout. His agent got all that sweet bonus money for a reason. If things went bad and the Oilers wanted out, they barely lose any money in the buyout situation.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
8dp09q39q3s21.jpg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You'd have to think that he wants to be far, far away from here just as much as management wants him far, far away from here.

Yeah, you gotta feel for the guy. He's been ripped left right and center for almost 2 straight years. I get that he isn't playing well, and that he's overpaid, but jeez.... everybody is still a person. That tweet by Sportsnet is pretty bush league though. 500 points is a pretty good milestone, and for it to happen just a few days before the road game goal, well, I don't exactly blame him for giving them crap about the tweet.

Wonder if that is him in the picture or not? Looks like him from behind, but who knows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, you gotta feel for the guy. He's been ripped left right and center for almost 2 straight years. I get that he isn't playing well, and that he's overpaid, but jeez.... everybody is still a person. That tweet by Sportsnet is pretty bush league though. 500 points is a pretty good milestone, and for it to happen just a few days before the road game goal, well, I don't exactly blame him for giving them crap about the tweet.

Wonder if that is him in the picture or not? Looks like him from behind, but who knows.
Rishaug says it's him. Has very little details

Edmonton Oilers forward Milan Lucic suffered a lower-body injury and is currently in a cast according to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug.
“Not sure on timeline at this point or how the injury happened,” Rishaug added on Twitter.

Duder54

Edmonton Oilers forward Milan Lucic suffered a lower-body injury and is currently in a cast according to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug.
“Not sure on timeline at this point or how the injury happened,” Rishaug added on Twitter.

Don't worry, I'm sure we can count of the Oilers organization to keep the fanbase up to date on what's happening with their favorite team and it's players... you know, because "transparency."

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Hoping for 4 year recovery....

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I’m thinking TB wishes they had Lucic. They have no answer for the physical game Columbus is playing. I’ll bet he has a few 35-40 point seasons left in him. But, he doesn’t know his role in Edmonton. And it’s been pointed out, travel in the east is easier

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
There was a rumour 5 days ago on facebook about the cast, had to do with a off ice incident in a bar, that could result in Lucic and legal action.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was a rumour 5 days ago on facebook about the cast, had to do with a off ice incident in a bar, that could result in Lucic and legal action.
Oh so the Oilers were smart and hired some goons to get on Lucic's nerves and start a fight?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Can lucic's contract get terminated for getting in fights in bars? Some sort of morality clause?

Also what is a married guy with kids doing hanging out in bars?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad