Can AM win the Rocket with his hot start..

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I mean, not being McDavid doesn't mean you're average. There's no doubt that he's the better goalscorer, and it's quite possible he's the best goal scorer in the NHL right now, but as a player, I do think McD is better.
I think McD is better as well, just funny how Matthews has proven he is a top player in the league and probably the top goal scorer and people just hate it and can’t give him his due. Kid has been crazy this year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think he does, he’s not go into kee shooting at 30%, I think somewhere in the late teens is realistic as to where he finishes the season at.

It may get him close to 50 but I think at least a few will hit more than 50 this season.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Yea, as good as Matthews is on his own, Nylander adds a lot to his 5-on-5 game.
Oh for sure. His transition game is one of the best in the league, and adding that element to Matthews line will make them harder to defend. I'm curious to see how much Nylander has grown as a player too so that's going to be another factor.

Hopefully Babcock is feeling comfortable enough to put Kapanen on his off-wing to take advantage of his speed and physicality.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If all the scoring leaders each keep their current goal scoring pace then Matthews will regain the scoring lead before the end of January.
It may happen earlier though with Nylander now back on his wing providing him with easy ozone entries and setups.
:naughty:

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Missed too many games but will make it close which is unreal. Best goal scorer in the league right now.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I still say he's missed too many games but boy would it be fun to watch if it came down to the wire. He needs a hat trick on Thursday in Detroit and then the fun begins

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
If he were healthy, then yeah he would be right up theire with Laine and OV as a Richard contender, but not with the games lost to injuries. He is hot right now, but it is very unlikely that he will continue anywhere near the goal-per-game pace he is currently on.

If he actually manages near 40 goals in 60-65 games that eould be awesome in and of itself.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Missed too many games but will make it close which is unreal. Best goal scorer in the league right now.

That's true. But he won't ride with that 30% shooting over the whole season. If he does that, it would be highest S% over a season ever, by far.

It's enough hard to keep it there at his career S% level of 17.2% (15.9% before this season). His this season's S% has been so high that it have had actually serious impact to his career S%, which doesn't change fast over big sample sets.

Something similar happened with Patrik, but to lesser extent (currently 20.0%, before the season 18.3%) and I expect it'll come downwards.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
That's true. But he won't ride with that 30% shooting over the whole season. If he does that, it would be highest S% over a season ever, by far.

It's enough hard to keep it there at his career S% level of 17.2% (15.9% before this season). His this season's S% has been so high that it have had actually serious impact to his career S%, which doesn't change fast over big sample sets.

Something similar happened with Patrik, but to lesser extent (currently 20.0%, before the season 18.3%) and I expect it'll come downwards.
I wonder how much of an impact the reduced size of goalie equipment is having. A few guys are having monster years so far.

Reactions: Se829ne

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I say it a lot, but I hope we get to see a full season of Matthews soon. No per 60, no pace, just a pure "look at this incredible 82 games" .

I think that's what's holding people back with "giving his due". You have to play the games and get the points.

Reactions: cmorly

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I wonder how much of an impact the reduced size of goalie equipment is having. A few guys are having monster years so far.

League scoring is up this year, and probably part of that comes from reduced size of goalie equipment, but I think there must be other aspects too. Refs take violations more strictly too, and increased PP time across the league increase also total amount of goals scored. Because of stricter reffing also more faster game has become more available option. These things combined with on average very high talent prospect and rookie pool of late years we get close...

...to a what happens in the reality currently.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
League scoring is up this year, and probably part of that comes from reduced size of goalie equipment, but I think there must be other aspects too. Refs take violations more strictly too, and increased PP time across the league increase also total amount of goals scored. Because of stricter reffing also more faster game has become more available option. These things combined with on average very high talent prospect and rookie pool of late years we get close...

...to a what happens in the reality currently.

I wish the Leafs had such opportunities :help:

Reactions: hockeeyyy

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If he were healthy, then yeah he would be right up theire with Laine and OV as a Richard contender, but not with the games lost to injuries. He is hot right now, but it is very unlikely that he will continue anywhere near the goal-per-game pace he is currently on.

If he actually manages near 40 goals in 60-65 games that eould be awesome in and of itself.

He's due to play 68 and he had 34 in 62 last season. He easily scores 45 this season IMO and could even score 50 if things go well for him.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I say it a lot, but I hope we get to see a full season of Matthews soon. No per 60, no pace, just a pure "look at this incredible 82 games" .

I think that's what's holding people back with "giving his due". You have to play the games and get the points.

Yep. Doesn't look too good for Auston. Hopefully he won't become sort of Lindros 2.0.

Whatever, his stats and numbers over his played career games doesn't justify any kind underestimations about his goal scoring abilities.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It's worth noting he will get more chances now though with Nylander back on his line.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He's due to play 68 and he had 34 in 62 last season. He easily scores 45 this season IMO and could even score 50 if things go well for him.
Assuming he misses absolutely no games he hits 68. I would say conservatively he might miss a handful just due to minor injuries (which is what I would project for most any players over a season).

Again, 50 even in a full season hasn’t been done in a couple years and no one save OV has managed it in many years (I believe Stamkos was the last guy to pull it off). If Matthews can score 40 in 65-68 games I would be pretty thrilled as a Leafs fan, 45 would have me ecstatic, but I also wouldn't bank on that as being especially likely.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I promised elsewhere that I will attach a little blue maple leafs sticker to my little tank's turret if Auston wins Rocket this season. Worth to repeat that promise here too.

No, I consider it very unlike scenario to happen I would need to make such pimp up to my little tank. You can quote me for this. :laugh:

Reactions: Subbanned

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

Oh yeah his shooting percentage will definitely come down, no doubt. He wont score above a goal per game lol...but still currently the best goal scorer while being a two-way force, good on face offs etc. I'd sell the farm to have him on my team

Reactions: Se829ne

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The toe drag before he releases the puck is some next level shit. I haven't seen anyone do that as well as he does. I have never really seen him take a slapshot what's up with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad