Can AM win the Rocket with his hot start..

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Bronxxx, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Yackiberg8

Yackiberg8 Registered User

I think McD is better as well, just funny how Matthews has proven he is a top player in the league and probably the top goal scorer and people just hate it and can’t give him his due. Kid has been crazy this year.

SotasicA and DANTHEMAN1967 like this.
  2. Paul4587

Paul4587 Registered User

I don’t think he does, he’s not go into kee shooting at 30%, I think somewhere in the late teens is realistic as to where he finishes the season at.

It may get him close to 50 but I think at least a few will hit more than 50 this season.

3. Battle Lin

Battle Lin Registered User

matthews has the best chance at the rocket every year for next 15 years

4. hockeeyyy

hockeeyyy Registered User

Oh for sure. His transition game is one of the best in the league, and adding that element to Matthews line will make them harder to defend. I'm curious to see how much Nylander has grown as a player too so that's going to be another factor.

Hopefully Babcock is feeling comfortable enough to put Kapanen on his off-wing to take advantage of his speed and physicality.

5. Big Cactus

Big Cactus Martin Marincin Is Playing Hockey

Nice

6. filinski77

filinski77 Registered User

Considering that most good goalscorers decline at 27-30, I highly doubt he'll be leading the rocket races from 30-36 years old

7. Loosie

Loosie The Eternal Optimist

It helps that Laine got a quarter of his total goals in one game.

8. DANTHEMAN1967

DANTHEMAN1967 Registered User

If all the scoring leaders each keep their current goal scoring pace then Matthews will regain the scoring lead before the end of January.
    It may happen earlier though with Nylander now back on his wing providing him with easy ozone entries and setups.
    :naughty:

9. Subbanned

Subbanned Registered User

Missed too many games but will make it close which is unreal. Best goal scorer in the league right now.

10. razkaz

razkaz Registered User

I still say he's missed too many games but boy would it be fun to watch if it came down to the wire. He needs a hat trick on Thursday in Detroit and then the fun begins

11. NoName

NoName Bringer of Playoffs!

If he were healthy, then yeah he would be right up theire with Laine and OV as a Richard contender, but not with the games lost to injuries. He is hot right now, but it is very unlikely that he will continue anywhere near the goal-per-game pace he is currently on.

If he actually manages near 40 goals in 60-65 games that eould be awesome in and of itself.

12. Se829ne

Se829ne Registered User

That's true. But he won't ride with that 30% shooting over the whole season. If he does that, it would be highest S% over a season ever, by far.

It's enough hard to keep it there at his career S% level of 17.2% (15.9% before this season). His this season's S% has been so high that it have had actually serious impact to his career S%, which doesn't change fast over big sample sets.

Something similar happened with Patrik, but to lesser extent (currently 20.0%, before the season 18.3%) and I expect it'll come downwards.

13. winnipegger

winnipegger Registered User

Consider me converted on Matthews. As long as he can avoid shoulder problems he's a top 5 center unquestionably. Unbelievable release on his shot. Very Sakic-esque.

14. glucker

glucker Registered User

I wonder how much of an impact the reduced size of goalie equipment is having. A few guys are having monster years so far.

Se829ne likes this.
  15. Neuf

Neuf Ehlers for PP1!

I say it a lot, but I hope we get to see a full season of Matthews soon. No per 60, no pace, just a pure "look at this incredible 82 games" .

I think that's what's holding people back with "giving his due". You have to play the games and get the points.

cmorly likes this.
  16. Se829ne

Se829ne Registered User

League scoring is up this year, and probably part of that comes from reduced size of goalie equipment, but I think there must be other aspects too. Refs take violations more strictly too, and increased PP time across the league increase also total amount of goals scored. Because of stricter reffing also more faster game has become more available option. These things combined with on average very high talent prospect and rookie pool of late years we get close...

...to a what happens in the reality currently.

17. razkaz

razkaz Registered User

I wish the Leafs had such opportunities :help:

hockeeyyy likes this.
  18. authentic

authentic Registered User

He's due to play 68 and he had 34 in 62 last season. He easily scores 45 this season IMO and could even score 50 if things go well for him.

19. Se829ne

Se829ne Registered User

Yep. Doesn't look too good for Auston. Hopefully he won't become sort of Lindros 2.0.

Whatever, his stats and numbers over his played career games doesn't justify any kind underestimations about his goal scoring abilities.

authentic likes this.
  20. authentic

authentic Registered User

It's worth noting he will get more chances now though with Nylander back on his line.

DANTHEMAN1967 likes this.
  21. DickSmehlik

DickSmehlik Registered User

I find it very unlikely that he is going to pass all 12 players currently in front of him.

22. NoName

NoName Bringer of Playoffs!

Assuming he misses absolutely no games he hits 68. I would say conservatively he might miss a handful just due to minor injuries (which is what I would project for most any players over a season).

Again, 50 even in a full season hasn’t been done in a couple years and no one save OV has managed it in many years (I believe Stamkos was the last guy to pull it off). If Matthews can score 40 in 65-68 games I would be pretty thrilled as a Leafs fan, 45 would have me ecstatic, but I also wouldn't bank on that as being especially likely.

23. Se829ne

Se829ne Registered User

I promised elsewhere that I will attach a little blue maple leafs sticker to my little tank's turret if Auston wins Rocket this season. Worth to repeat that promise here too.

No, I consider it very unlike scenario to happen I would need to make such pimp up to my little tank. You can quote me for this. :laugh:

Subbanned likes this.
  24. Subbanned

Subbanned Registered User

Oh yeah his shooting percentage will definitely come down, no doubt. He wont score above a goal per game lol...but still currently the best goal scorer while being a two-way force, good on face offs etc. I'd sell the farm to have him on my team

Se829ne likes this.
  25. winnipegger

winnipegger Registered User

The toe drag before he releases the puck is some next level ****. I haven't seen anyone do that as well as he does. I have never really seen him take a slapshot what's up with that.