Confirmed with Link: Calvert signs with Colorado l 3 years 2.8M AAV

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anyone with a BSN subscription should read this, it's pretty good.

“Penalty kill is my game,” said Calvert, 28. “I take pride in the penalty kill. I love to score short-handed goals when I get the opportunity. But I love to create offense when I can.”

Newest Avs players already comfortable with Jared Bednar – BSN Denver

Both Cole and Calvert have played under Bednar and call him "Bedsy". I think it's pretty clear now why we went after those players.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Anyone with a BSN subscription should read this, it's pretty good.

“Penalty kill is my game,” said Calvert, 28. “I take pride in the penalty kill. I love to score short-handed goals when I get the opportunity. But I love to create offense when I can.”

Newest Avs players already comfortable with Jared Bednar – BSN Denver

Both Cole and Calvert have played under Bednar and call him "Bedsy". I think it's pretty clear now why we went after those players.
Bednar has had previous success in those leagues. I don't think that is a bad thing.

Reactions: Pure and MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Indeed, I think it's a good thing. Bednar likely asked Sakic to get those guys.

I dunno about asked, but no doubt he had some input that probably helped Sakic and management ultimately go in that direction.

I think Cole and Calvert will both be solid players for us. Yeah Cole is overpaid, but I think he'll bring a strong steady game to this team and will be a good mentor for the young Dmen we have coming in the next few years.

And Calvert should help an already strong PK. Also add more of an offensive, quick transition threat from our PK that we didn't really have a lot of last year. He's speedy and can create scoring chances short handed more then the guys we had on the PK last year were capable of.

They're not the sexy moves some people were looking for on July 1st. They're not JVR, or Jeff Skinner, or David Perron. But they're good players who will play there roles very well for us and will add value to the team.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I dunno about asked, but no doubt he had some input that probably helped Sakic and management ultimately go in that direction.

I think Cole and Calvert will both be solid players for us. Yeah Cole is overpaid, but I think he'll bring a strong steady game to this team and will be a good mentor for the young Dmen we have coming in the next few years.

And Calvert should help an already strong PK. Also add more of an offensive, quick transition threat from our PK that we didn't really have a lot of last year. He's speedy and can create scoring chances short handed more then the guys we had on the PK last year were capable of.

They're not the sexy moves some people were looking for on July 1st. They're not JVR, or Jeff Skinner, or David Perron. But they're good players who will play there roles very well for us and will add value to the team.

Yeah I'm warming up to the idea of having them. The overpaid part doesn't worry me at all, we won't need that cap space in the next three years anyway.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I don't think Calvert is overpaid by any means. In fact, I think he's underpaid. Which is while his and Cole's contracts kind of cancel out. I still think Sakic makes a deal to get some help for the 2nd line with one of our current forwards included. My money is on Skinner at this point - might have to wait for the Karlsson situation to play out.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think Calvert is overpaid by any means. In fact, I think he's underpaid. Which is while his and Cole's contracts kind of cancel out. I still think Sakic makes a deal to get some help for the 2nd line with one of our current forwards included. My money is on Skinner at this point - might have to wait for the Karlsson situation to play out.
There is zero way Calvert is underpaid. 9 goals last year, 10 the year before. How is that worth 2.8 a year? He is absolutely overpaid.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is zero way Calvert is underpaid. 9 goals last year, 10 the year before. How is that worth 2.8 a year? He is absolutely overpaid.

Calvert is overpaid by $800k or so.

Roussel had 5G 17P and got $3M/year.
Komarov had 7G 19P and got $3M/year.

Weird market.

Derek Ryan if anything is the one that's underpaid of the depth forwards.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Calvert is overpaid by $800k or so.

Roussel had 5G 17P and got $3M/year.
Komarov had 7G 19P and got $3M/year.

Weird market.

Derek Ryan if anything is the one that's underpaid of the depth forwards.

Is Blake Comeau underpaid at $2.4m? 35 points and the top penalty killer on one of the top 5 PK units in the league last year. Just a question.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is Blake Comeau underpaid at $2.4m? 35 points and the top penalty killer on one of the top 5 PK units in the league last year. Just a question.

When his head is in the right place, he's easily worth that salary. He might slow down a bit at 34-35.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Roussel had a down year with his 17 points... prior to that he was always in the mid to upper 20s. I'd expect him to rebound to that level. That said he is 750k-1m overpaid. A scary part with Calvert is that his production includes a lot of 2nd line usage. His style of play is endearing to coaches and they tend to over play him. I don't think he ever produces outside that bottom 6 level, but he might get higher usage than that with regularity.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned that Calvert is a pretty good playoff performer. I'm not saying he's better offensively than Comeau, but he sure is in the playoffs. Not enough depth scoring was a big thing that stood out against the Preds.

Calvert - 10 points in 16 games
Comeau - 3 points in 17 games
Komarov - 1 point in 15 games
Nash - 3 points in 15 games
Roussel - 5 points in 19 games

He was good in the WHL too

Calvert - 36 points in 33 games
Comeau - 40 points in 72 games

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Calvert is making 2.8M. That's 3.5% of a 79.5M cap. He's 28 and signed for 3 years through his prime. In the last 3 years the cap has increased by 6.5M. If that replicates his contract will be worth even less against the cap. He contributes in many other ways than just points and was in a shutdown role for most of his career (especially last season). He will play in our middle 6 ~15min a night, be a key contributor on the penalty kill, provide speed, energy, effort every shift and perhaps even a key playoff contributor if you go by past performance. I don't see how that isn't worth at least 2.8M with today's cap.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
He wasn't the top penalty killer. He was good but never great in the first half of the season and was the worst of our regular penalty killers in the 2nd half. Well, very often he didn't play the PK because he took an unnecessary penalty and sat in the box. I really don't get the love for Comeau. He seems to be a really nice dude and he worked hard to have the best season of his career last year. I respect that. But he is not a great penalty killer and in my opinion (not a fact, just my opinion) he's not even a good third liner. (He was an okay, at times good one last year, though.)

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I for one think this is a fantastic signing. I've watched him enough over the years to say he'll be a noticeable upgrade over Comeau. A very good modern day bottom 6 forward. You need to have these types of players to win.

I guess my only hesitation is that he may be taking ice time away from kids like Greer or Compher or Kerfoot or Kamenev. We're still a rebuilding team trying to develop our prospects. But I think he does make the team better.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I like this signing significantly more than Cole at the very least. Calvert at least fits a very specific and necessary role on the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He wasn't the top penalty killer. He was good but never great in the first half of the season and was the worst of our regular penalty killers in the 2nd half. Well, very often he didn't play the PK because he took an unnecessary penalty and sat in the box. I really don't get the love for Comeau. He seems to be a really nice dude and he worked hard to have the best season of his career last year. I respect that. But he is not a great penalty killer and in my opinion (not a fact, just my opinion) he's not even a good third liner. (He was an okay, at times good one last year, though.)
16-17, sure.

But last season? I couldn't disagree with literally every word you said any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad