Confirmed with Link: Calvert signs with Colorado l 3 years 2.8M AAV

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I disagree on that notion. Comeau had a monster year last year but I dont think that's the norm that should be expected from him and I think the Avs saw that and decided to move in a different direction.

Calvert is a better player. This was a small upgrade for the Avs but an upgrade nevertheless.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
True, but Comeau is better defensively and on the PK.

And he only managed to net a career high 24 points? Dear god you're not helping your own case.
Not sure I agree that Comeau is better defencively. I mean maybe he is, but it's very close between the two. Comeau is more physical and that might help on the PK, but Calvert is faster and might get to loose pucks and point shots faster than Blake would've been able to. Calvert has a better all-around game though as Pierce mentioned above.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not sure I agree that Comeau is better defencively. I mean maybe he is, but it's very close between the two. Comeau is more physical and that might help on the PK, but Calvert is faster and might get to loose pucks and point shots faster than Blake would've been able to. Calvert has a better all-around game though as Pierce mentioned above.
I’m not going to jump down your throat like everyone is doing about every comment made today, but I have to ask because I’m genuinely curious, how is he a better all round player? The only thing he does better than Comeau is skate and Comeau is a really good skater himself.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’m not going to jump down your throat like everyone is doing about every comment made today, but I have to ask because I’m genuinely curious, how is he a better all round player? The only thing he does better than Comeau is skate and Comeau is a really good skater himself.
Sure...I think he's much smarter of a player than Comeau and as I said in my original post he see's the ice better. Comeau was more of a north to south bulldog that had solid scoring instincts and good two-way game. Calvert is like a 3rd line version of Matt Duchene; underrated as he's gritty in the corners, better playmaker, and is a much more shiftier player along with a solid two-way game as well (plus he's not a stupid penalty taker either). Comeau was inconsistent and suffered from some blinder vision while Calvert knows more of his limitations in his skill set. Those are my two cents.

PS: Trust me, this isn't a huge upgrade by any means because Blake wasn't a bad player, but I argue that Matt is slightly better and will fit our team identity.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sure...I think he's much smarter of a player than Comeau and as I said in my original post he see's the ice better. Comeau was more of a north to south bulldog that had solid scoring instincts and good two-way game. Calvert is like a 3rd line version of Matt Duchene; underrated as he's gritty in the corners, better playmaker, and is a much more shiftier player along with a solid two-way game as well (plus he's not a stupid penalty taker either). Comeau was inconsistent and suffered from some blinder vision while Calvert knows more of his limitations in his skill set. Those are my two cents.

PS: Trust me, this isn't a huge upgrade by any means because Blake wasn't a bad player, but I argue that Matt is slightly better and will fit our team identity.

I second all of this

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have my reservations about Blake repeating last season. As for PK, Calvert is one of the best players in the league at it.
Better than Blake? I know team stats don’t mean everything but at a quick glance Calvert was the most played forward on the 27th best PK in the NHL. Blake Comeau was the most played forward on the 4th bet PK in the NHL.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I really like Calvert. This was a good signing and Jackets fans have voiced that themselves. He's a well liked guy who works his ass off. Will fit in well.

The thing is... I get what Sakic was trying to do when he brought Cole in, I get what he's putting together on the Defense and I think he's on the right track.

But with our forwards I'm kind of at a loss. Calvert makes sense as a Comeau replacement. But what on earth are we doing about our 2nd line. There's no way we're honestly expecting to go into next season with the same group of misfits strewn together in hopes of something working, are we? That just seems like a recipe for disaster not only this year with our playoff hopes, but long term as well it could have implications on the development of guys like Jost, Kamenev, and Compher.

I hope we have plans to address the 2nd line via trade or free agency still but it doesn't really seem likely at this point. I could also see the Ottawa 2019 1st kind of throwing a wrench in plans a bit right now as well. With the real possibility of that being Top 5 next year and essentially adding a free Top 6 forward to our team next year while still on his ELC... Maybe Sakic has just decided to be patient for now and see what kind of a start Ottawa gets off to next year before making moves. The hole we have in our 2nd line could be filled on its own by this time next year if the Sens suck again.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I hope we have plans to address the 2nd line via trade or free agency still but it doesn't really seem likely at this point. I could also see the Ottawa 2019 1st kind of throwing a wrench in plans a bit right now as well. With the real possibility of that being Top 5 next year and essentially adding a free Top 6 forward to our team next year while still on his ELC... Maybe Sakic has just decided to be patient for now and see what kind of a start Ottawa gets off to next year before making moves. The hole we have in our 2nd line could be filled on its own by this time next year if the Sens suck again.
Doesn't sound like Sakic imo.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Doesn't sound like Sakic imo.

I dunno, I think it fits Sakics mentality almost perfectly. He's preached patience and youth for the last 18 months now. Sitting tight and not making a drastic move to fix the team now and instead opting to wait and see how next season plays out would fit that idea perfectly.

There's a real chance we A) Make the playoffs next season again just with the same lineup we have now, and B) Select Top 3 in the draft with a chance to draft A Turcotte/Hughes/Newhook/Kakko elite forward prospect from the draft that fills the secondary scoring need on its own.

Reactions: New Scotlander

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Too bad hockey isnt just about goals.

And Calvert skated on the 2nd line for Columbus.

Do some research before you have a hissy fit online.
If you think that’s a hissy fit than you are awfully sheltered. You act like Comeau was only here for goals. He did a heck of a lot more than that.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I dunno, I think it fits Sakics mentality almost perfectly. He's preached patience and youth for the last 18 months now. Sitting tight and not making a drastic move to fix the team now and instead opting to wait and see how next season plays out would fit that idea perfectly.

There's a real chance we A) Make the playoffs next season again just with the same lineup we have now, and B) Select Top 3 in the draft with a chance to draft A Turcotte/Hughes/Newhook/Kakko elite forward prospect from the draft that fills the secondary scoring need on its own.
He is patient but I don't think he would let his actions be influenced by the performance of the Senators.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't get the Calvert hate at all. He's a real team player who does the dirty, unglamorous, invisible jobs that help teams win. He's not going to score a lot of goals but he is a glue guy.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm surprised so many people were fooled by Comeau's season last year. It was clearly a contract year performance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play like he did in 2015-16 or worse for the rest of his career and then hang em up.

Great team guy, and naturally better offensively than Calvert, but there are lots of signs that Comeau's on his last legs. Calvert gives them a low maintenance bottom six checker that can play at the speed Bednar wants, and still fill some of the intangibles and penalty killing that Comeau did.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm surprised so many people were fooled by Comeau's season last year. It was clearly a contract year performance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play like he did in 2015-16 or worse for the rest of his career and then hang em up.

Great team guy, and naturally better offensively than Calvert, but there are lots of signs that Comeau's on his last legs. Calvert gives them a low maintenance bottom six checker that can play at the speed Bednar wants, and still fill some of the intangibles and penalty killing that Comeau did.

That's just as silly as the people who think Comeau of last year is the Comeau to expect going forward.

He had a career year last year with his overall play. He wont repeat it. But he also had a career worse year in 16/17, a year infinitely worse then what he was before that.

The reality is he'll likely fall between the two seasons going forward. He's a solid bottom 6 forward who probably should be a 4th liner at this point but can play on the 3rd line and do so fairly well. Can chip in offensively, can kill penalties, responsible defensively(Though I think this is where he's getting overrated by people the most right now), and a decent skater.

Calvert is younger and should be effective for longer. I also think Calvert is a much better PKer, has more offensive upside, and is a better skater. At even strength Comeau might be a tad better defensively and physically, but Calvert is quite the pest on the forecheck for his size.

I think it's a small upgrade for the Avs. And I also think $2.8M was very solid value. Especially when you look at what the other bottom 6 forwards in free agency just got. Beagle(3M), Komarkov(3M), Roussel(3M), Ryan(3M), Reaves(2.775M).

I'd say we did a solid job with Calvert at 2.8M. Better value then the majority of thsoe guys, the only one I'd probably prefer to Calvert is Ryan at 3M.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's just as silly as the people who think Comeau of last year is the Comeau to expect going forward.

He had a career year last year with his overall play. He wont repeat it. But he also had a career worse year in 16/17, a year infinitely worse then what he was before that.

The reality is he'll likely fall between the two seasons going forward. He's a solid bottom 6 forward who probably should be a 4th liner at this point but can play on the 3rd line and do so fairly well. Can chip in offensively, can kill penalties, responsible defensively(Though I think this is where he's getting overrated by people the most right now), and a decent skater.

Calvert is younger and should be effective for longer. I also think Calvert is a much better PKer, has more offensive upside, and is a better skater. At even strength Comeau might be a tad better defensively and physically, but Calvert is quite the pest on the forecheck for his size.

I think it's a small upgrade for the Avs. And I also think $2.8M was very solid value. Especially when you look at what the other bottom 6 forwards in free agency just got. Beagle(3M), Komarkov(3M), Roussel(3M), Ryan(3M), Reaves(2.775M).

I'd say we did a solid job with Calvert at 2.8M. Better value then the majority of thsoe guys, the only one I'd probably prefer to Calvert is Ryan at 3M.

I think that's a false equivalence. Comeau's 32 and his legs are getting slower every day. He's much more likely to play like 2016-17 (meant this season the first time) Comeau that didn't need a contract, than the 2017-18 Comeau who did.

If I had to guess, I'd say he has a very similar first year and tenure with Dallas that he did here. Starts out strong the first month, but then falls back down to earth for the next 1.5 years or so. Except he'll be too old to have another contract year performance IMO.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Replacing Comeau with Calvert is a smart move. Who knows how many more years Comeau can play his hard nosed game for before he breaks down. If Comeau wanted another three years letting him go was extremely wise, and Calvert will fill the same role for another three years without having to worry that he'll get old before the contract is up.

Reactions: MarkT

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Better than Blake? I know team stats don’t mean everything but at a quick glance Calvert was the most played forward on the 27th best PK in the NHL. Blake Comeau was the most played forward on the 4th bet PK in the NHL.
Yes, I beleive he is. Truth be told I think the forwards are far less important on the PK than anyone else, few can make a difference and Calvert is one of them. The bulk of work on the Avs PK was done by goalies and the D.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Have you just started learning to read?

I commented on defensive play in which Calvert also isn't as good as Comeau. I commented on special teams where Comeau is better. Comeau is also more physical.
Do you remember how bad Comeau was 2 years ago ? No one wanted him on the Avs

Reactions: AvsGuy

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Calvert is a fine player, but the term and money are too much on this deal... at best he is a 3rd liner and if that happens this deal is just okay. The normal projection would be that of a very good 4th liner that is able to have spurts of 3rd line play... in that case he is a solid million to 1.5m overpaid per season. Not a back breaking deal, but this is a stinker.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00