Confirmed with Link: Calvert signs with Colorado l 3 years 2.8M AAV

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Kerfoot almost got as many points as Skinner last season mate. Completely under rated. Needs to be on lines 2 or 3. He'll get 50+ points on the top 2 lines (20 goals).

Good point

Landeskog- Mack- Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Andrighetto
Nieto- Soderberg- Calvert
Kamanev- Compher- Wilson
Bourque

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Andrighetto - Jost - Calvert
Nieto - Soderberg - Compher
Kerfoot - Kamenev - Wilson

Zadorov - Johnson / ZJ
Cole - Barrie / Barrie Cole’ts
Girard - Nemeth / Nemethod Man the G

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Top Line
Keefoot-Jost-Andrighetto
Calvert-Soda-Nieto
Wilson-Kamanev-Compher

Z-EJ
Cole-Barrie
Nemeth-Girard

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot/Andrighetto - Jost - NOT ON ROSTER
Calvert - Soderberg - Nieto
Wilson - Compher - Bourque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Anybody penciling in Kamenev for a top-6 role should strongly temper expectations.
I like Kamenev, but second liner is the tip top of what we can expect in his prime. Middle six is more likely, and as a rookie... I'm hoping for a third liner type of season out of next year and I'd call that a win. He's not going to be really settled in for at least a year or two.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unless two of Jost/Kerfoot/'Ghetto improve significantly... that 2nd line isn't going to cut it, no matter what combination it is.

member 116861

Unless two of Jost/Kerfoot/'Ghetto improve significantly... that 2nd line isn't going to cut it, no matter what combination it is.

Still want Stastny or a 2nd liner but I'm confident those two will improve a decent amount.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pretty obvvious how much obtaining one legit second line “vet” would improve the situation. The top line is so beastly and the bottom six with the Soda-anchored was third line is pretty darn solid. You pair Jost and Kerfoot/Ghetto/Compher with a veteran scoring threat and it may not be a world beater but it can at least contribute.

Really worried as it is, the Soda checking line will continue to be the defacto second line - if not in name and role at least in minutes played with him and Calvert and Nieto getting 17+ minutes a game. And thats when players of that ilk turn from lovable checking line heart and soul guys into stone-handed, over their heads whipping posts.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like a lot of the negative reaction to this signing was because people wanted a second liner and Calvert isn't that. We *did* need more forward depth unless you want Bourque and Wilson to have guaranteed spots on the roster all season long. Calvert is a perfect 4th liner who can play 3rd line as needed, kill penalties, and not hurt the team when he's on the ice. Every team needs multiple guys like that. I don't care about the salary much because that's what the market was.

And as long as we're posting lines, I have no idea why everyone is putting Jost as 2C. Have you guys seen something I haven't that proves he ready for that role? Personally I'd go:

Landy - Mac - Rants
Jost - Soderberg - Ghetto
Wilson - Kerfoot - Compher
Calvert - Kamenev - Nieto
Bourque

It'd be a little rough setting defensive assignments, but I don't know how anyone can argue that Soderberg isn't one of our 6 best forwards if he plays like he did last season, and now he won't be saddled with Comeau, who I liked, but whiffed on way too many scoring chances last season.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I feel like a lot of the negative reaction to this signing was because people wanted a second liner and Calvert isn't that. We *did* need more forward depth unless you want Bourque and Wilson to have guaranteed spots on the roster all season long. Calvert is a perfect 4th liner who can play 3rd line as needed, kill penalties, and not hurt the team when he's on the ice. Every team needs multiple guys like that. I don't care about the salary much because that's what the market was.

And as long as we're posting lines, I have no idea why everyone is putting Jost as 2C. Have you guys seen something I haven't that proves he ready for that role? Personally I'd go:

Landy - Mac - Rants
Jost - Soderberg - Ghetto
Wilson - Kerfoot - Compher
Calvert - Kamenev - Nieto
Bourque

It'd be a little rough setting defensive assignments, but I don't know how anyone can argue that Soderberg isn't one of our 6 best forwards if he plays like he did last season, and now he won't be saddled with Comeau, who I liked, but whiffed on way too many scoring chances last season.
From a talent standpoint that is not bad, but we also kinda need a line that is more defensive.
Soderberg is preferably played with a player that is a solid defensive winger and maybe a bigger offensive threat who is not bad defensively.
The problem is we do not really have any of the 2nd kind, unless you put Jost on the wing there, but then that becomes the shutdown line and the 2nd line, and you would have Calvert or Nieto playing a bigger role.
The players we have on the roster regarding our forwards have no good combination from the 2nd line down.

I believe we kinda have to run with Soda line as the defensive checking line and then run two more offensive lines with some kinda defense and hope that they work. At home it should be alright, but on the road it will provide huge problems regarding matchups.

Id put Calvert on Sodas wing and hope either him or Nieto can play right wing too.

Wilson-Jost-Andrighetto
Calvert-Soda-Nieto
Bourque/Kamenev-Kerfoot-Compher

I do not like Wilson on the 2nd, but I mean, the options are quite limited.
Kerfoot fits as 4th C + 2nd PP and Compher should play on the right wing as one of the only two righties up front.

Anyway, this is the Calvert thread, so I believe he fits straight as the Comeau replacement.
As long as he or Nieto/Compher can transition to right wing.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
From a talent standpoint that is not bad, but we also kinda need a line that is more defensive.
Soderberg is preferably played with a player that is a solid defensive winger and maybe a bigger offensive threat who is not bad defensively.
The problem is we do not really have any of the 2nd kind, unless you put Jost on the wing there, but then that becomes the shutdown line and the 2nd line, and you would have Calvert or Nieto playing a bigger role.
The players we have on the roster regarding our forwards have no good combination from the 2nd line down.

I believe we kinda have to run with Soda line as the defensive checking line and then run two more offensive lines with some kinda defense and hope that they work. At home it should be alright, but on the road it will provide huge problems regarding matchups.

Id put Calvert on Sodas wing and hope either him or Nieto can play right wing too.

Wilson-Jost-Andrighetto
Calvert-Soda-Nieto
Bourque/Kamenev-Kerfoot-Compher

I do not like Wilson on the 2nd, but I mean, the options are quite limited.
Kerfoot fits as 4th C + 2nd PP and Compher should play on the right wing as one of the only two righties up front.

Anyway, this is the Calvert thread, so I believe he fits straight as the Comeau replacement.
As long as he or Nieto/Compher can transition to right wing.

For what it's worth Nieto is listed as a LW/RW on some sites, so I think he could manage.

I see what you're saying, but I'll explain a little more about the logic of my lines.

First off, I strongly believe Kerfoot especially does not belong on a 4th line as he seems to be a guy who needs to play with offensively talented players and would benefit from sheltered offensive zone starts.

Basically, my idea is that the 4th line with Nieto and Calvert (and Kamenev or maybe Toninato) get most of the defensive zone starts, though I'd have MacKinnon go head to head with the other team's top line. Soderberg's line with Jost and Ghetto would get both offensive and defensive zone starts, and the Kerfoot line with Wilson and Compher would get the sheltered minutes, but hopefully wouldn't get dominated too much.

I know Soderberg is probably doomed to be the defensive center on this team and probably just play with Calvert and Nieto, but I honestly think that's a waste of offensive talent, which we can hardly afford to do on a team desperate for secondary scoring.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011

That moment when skille looked like ovechkin.... I liked him alot too, enjoyed his wheels!

Long time lurker, first time poster, lifelong avs fan.

Those were the good old days...

Mcleod - Grigs - Skille

Holden - Barrie

this team has sure changed over 3 years

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Compher’s skills are wasted if we put him on the 4th line, i think he is perfect to replace Comeau. Nieto would be more appropriate on ththe 4th line, and probably dominate.

Reactions: Avs_19

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Compher’s skills are wasted if we put him on the 4th line, i think he is perfect to replace Comeau. Nieto would be more appropriate on ththe 4th line, and probably dominate.
Compher has to prove he can be as defensively reliable as Comeau before being given that spot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Agreed. Putting Compher on the 4th line would be stupid.

Compher has to prove he can be as defensively reliable as Comeau before being given that spot.

Calvert can replace the Comeau role on that line and then you have Compher as the other winger. He had bad luck and some wasted opportunities that were all on him but still scored 13 goals. I'd bet on him scoring 15+ next season and I doubt Nieto can repeat his season where he shot 18%. Nieto isn't the most defensively reliable guy either.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Calvert can replace the Comeau role on that line and then you have Compher as the other winger. He had bad luck and some wasted opportunities that were all on him but still scored 13 goals. I'd bet on him scoring 15+ next season and I doubt Nieto can repeat his season where he shot 18%. Nieto isn't the most defensively reliable guy either.
Nieto is good at being fast and being from Long Beach.

Reactions: Avs_19

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

No disagreements there, but Compher wasn't good defensively last season whatsoever. I hope he can improve for next season. He has it in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->