Confirmed with Link: Calvert signs with Colorado l 3 years 2.8M AAV

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ehhhhhh...seems kinda silly to me to bring in a younger version of Comeau who isn’t as big, not as physical, not as offensively capable, and only (as I understand it) only marginally better defensively. I can only hope he’s better in terms of hockey sense, which was Blake’s biggest weakness.

But then again, I thought the Avs were stupid to protect him in the expansion draft and he ended up being a solid player for them in their resurgence. Maybe Calvert will surprise me too.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The salaries for bottom six forwards have been very high this off-season. Don't know what caused this shift.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Love this signing. Have always been a big Calvert fan. Will be interesting to see where he slots into the lineup but he is one of those guys that can play up and down the lineup. I think we see him get a shot next to Jost pending a trade (which I think is in the works). He will be a fan favourite in no time.

Reactions: shadow1

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Am I missing something with so many people claiming he's an upgrade on Comeau? I'm genuinely curious, a lot of CBJ fans love him but his stats and numbers seem to point to more of a Gabe Bourque than a Comeau. Is it the speed that is the big difference?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Am I missing something with so many people claiming he's an upgrade on Comeau? I'm genuinely curious, a lot of CBJ fans love him but his stats and numbers seem to point to more of a Gabe Bourque than a Comeau. Is it the speed that is the big difference?

Basically Calvert is more reliable night in night out... he doesn't have the brain farts that Comeau does. Beyond that though, I think Comeau is the superior player especially in a top 9 role (though I'd probably give a slight PK edge to Calvert).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Basically Calvert is more reliable night in night out... he doesn't have the brain farts that Comeau does. Beyond that though, I think Comeau is the superior player especially in a top 9 role (though I'd probably give a slight PK edge to Calvert).
The difference (to me) between this deal and bringing back Comeau is that Calvert will likely be effective for all three years of his deal, and Comeau won't. Given the contracts both got I would rather have Calvert hands down.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not a guarantee that Comeau will be better than Calvert at his age either. They very well could put up similar 25 point seasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The difference (to me) between this deal and bringing back Comeau is that Calvert will likely be effective for all three years of his deal, and Comeau won't. Given the contracts both got I would rather have Calvert hands down.

I'd rather have Comeau because he can give you a solid 3rd liner presence for a year or two, then move the 4th. Calvert might be effective through the whole deal, but he will play at a fringe 3rd/4th line leve through it all. Riley Nash would have been a superior signing to either.

Reactions: madman

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Calvert is a fine player, but the term and money are too much on this deal... at best he is a 3rd liner and if that happens this deal is just okay. The normal projection would be that of a very good 4th liner that is able to have spurts of 3rd line play... in that case he is a solid million to 1.5m overpaid per season. Not a back breaking deal, but this is a stinker.

Yeah, but I think it’s ok to occasionally overpay some guys. It’d be a nightmare to have a bunch of $3m players in the bottom six. Right now we’ve got 6 forwards making over $1m and two of those are MacKinnon and Landeskog. The only guy due a big raise is Rantanen and Wilson falls off the books next year. It is what it is. Not everybody can be great value.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'd rather have Comeau because he can give you a solid 3rd liner presence for a year or two, then move the 4th. Calvert might be effective through the whole deal, but he will play at a fringe 3rd/4th line leve through it all. Riley Nash would have been a superior signing to either.

Nash is a center which just isn't a position the Avs needed to fill and honestly last season Comeau was carried by Soderberg and was never going to put up the same performance as a year ago. This year we need to give Carl more skilled linemates like Kamanev, Ghetto and Compher.

Adding more speed to the 4th line, a great leader for the kids and a great PK guy to fill Blakes spot is a solid replacement. Calvert will give an upgrade to G Bourque and Kamanev will likely be the Comeau replacement.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nash is a center which just isn't a position the Avs needed to fill and honestly last season Comeau was carried by Soderberg and was never going to put up the same performance as a year ago. This year we need to give Carl more skilled linemates like Kamanev, Ghetto and Compher.

Adding more speed to the 4th line, a great leader for the kids and a great PK guy to fill Blakes spot is a solid replacement. Calvert will give an upgrade to G Bourque and Kamanev will likely be the Comeau replacement.

We will wholeheartedly disagree that the Avs don't need to address center, but Nash can play center and right wing. He would have added positional versatility, more scoring punch, and been cheaper. Calvert is a solid player and will be a good player to have in the bottom 6... 2.8m is just an ugly amount for it.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We will wholeheartedly disagree that the Avs don't need to address center, but Nash can play center and right wing. He would have added positional versatility, more scoring punch, and been cheaper. Calvert is a solid player and will be a good player to have in the bottom 6... 2.8m is just an ugly amount for it.

Avs definitely need a 2c, which Nash isn't. Also while Nash is incredible defensively (I'm a huge fan) he puts up no offense what so ever. Calvert is a better scoring option than Nash. Nash just wasn't a fit for what this team was looking for, even if is a solid player who signed a good deal.

The Avs will never get close to the cap ceiling in the next 3 years so the extra 1m is completely irrelevant.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
For real though, this guy is going to play on the 4th line... right?

2010-11: 11 goals
2011-12: 0 goals
2012-13: 9 goals
2013-14: 9 goals
2014-15: 13 goals
2015-16: 11 goals
2016-17: 10 goals
2017-18: 9 goals

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Avs definitely need a 2c, which Nash isn't. Also while Nash is incredible defensively (I'm a huge fan) he puts up no offense what so ever. Calvert is a better scoring option than Nash. Nash just wasn't a fit for what this team was looking for, even if is a solid player who signed a good deal.

The Avs will never get close to the cap ceiling in the next 3 years so the extra 1m is completely irrelevant.

Wait your saying Calvert is a better scoring option even though historically they score about the same and Nash’s career high obliterates Calverts?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For real though, this guy is going to play on the 4th line... right?

2010-11: 11 goals
2011-12: 0 goals
2012-13: 9 goals
2013-14: 9 goals
2014-15: 13 goals
2015-16: 11 goals
2016-17: 10 goals
2017-18: 9 goals

Maybe but I could see a Calvert-Soderberg-Compher third line as well. It's really not much different than before since Comeau and Nieto have been in the same range over the last few years.

Last four years:

Comeau: 49 goals in 298 games.
Calvert: 43 goals in 263 games.
Nieto: 40 goals in 272 games.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This can't be right. Comeau is so much better. I refuse to be mislead by cherry picked numbers!

In case anyone wants to read the reactions of when Comeau signed in Colorado.

5th post in, by me...

Waiting to see term, but I like it. There's the 3rd line right shot. Good for 15-20 goals, imo.

...a few posts later...

Harsh comments here. He is a good player.

Thanks, didn’t even remember how his thread went.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
5th post in, by me:

Thanks, didn’t even remember how his thread went.
You were definitely one of the very few who were positive about him right from the start.

Hopefully Calvert can win the fanbase over too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00