OT - NO POLITICS Calm down & step back - (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nothing like the smoke detector right outside your room going off for no reason at 5am go really get the blood flowing.

And of course my husband had just left for work so I had to shit a brick solo

Dying battery or spider?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did anyone else watch that situation in Brockton as it was happening last night? We were riveted to the tv and can't believe it didn't get out of hand worse than it did. Very scary stuff.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Dying battery or spider?

I don't know. It's happened once before, so luckily I wasn't completely flipped out, just slightly.

We had the cleaning lady come in yesterday, so I'm sure that stirred up a lot of dust and pollen since the windows have been open. It was also pretty humid last night.

The battery seems to be fine, but who knows. I took it out when I could finally get the freaking thing off the ceiling and threw it on the bed in the guest room for my husband to deal with when he gets home. I've been debating upgrading to the Nest alarms, but it's pretty low on the priority list.

The kicker is where this alarm is, it's the highest point of the ceiling in my house. There's a landing at the top of the stairs, and a low railing that we have a storage bench pushed against. The only way I can get to the ceiling is to stand on the bench, which is scary AF since there's no real protection if I lose my balance and fall forward - I'd fall down to the first floor. Anywho, I'm standing on the bench, holding on to the wall for balance, and reach up to the ceiling to try and take the damn thing down, completely forgetting the ceiling fan is on full blast and is in the path to the smoke detector. I now have a nice cut on my hand from the blades because dumb Katie at 5am reached right through the fan to get to the detector.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Did anyone else watch that situation in Brockton as it was happening last night? We were riveted to the tv and can't believe it didn't get out of hand worse than it did. Very scary stuff.

I did. I went to bed shortly after 10, it was mostly peaceful at that point.

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hobbling into bed last night around midnight, and as i move the top blanket i notice at the last second it feels heavy. There’s a 15lb weighted blanket sometimes so i ignore it. Then i hear a huge crash at my feet.

it was a 10 lb weight. If that had hit my foot on the way down i think I’d be in a walking boot today.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There was a wasp circling my wife in the driveway a few days ago (she is allergic to them...), and when I finally knocked it down with a stick (yes, I keep a goalie stick in the bed of my truck) to the ground I killed it and then went full Lizzie Borden on it, pummeling until there was literally nothing left of it.

I know I have been on edge lately, but I was actually concerned about my reaction...

Hate wasp, hornets, yellow jackets, all of them. I'm good with bees that help pollinate, but the rest of the d-bags I take them out ASAP.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I did and it was very scary. Things were very peaceful and all of a sudden it erupted in violence.

What struck me was that there was a lack of leadership from the community and from the organizer. The Brockton protest was organized by one young woman and she had no one else with her to support her. I strongly believe if she had others standing behind her, they would have been able to keep things peaceful

Last night in Boston, they had several local officials walking and talking to the groups of protesters. When things started to slide the organizers policed the crowd and quickly reprimanded those who tried to throw bottles at the officers. Former city councilor Tito Jackson also got in the center of the group a few times and started talking to them and listened to them express their concerns. He did this during the march at Franklin Park and again when things got a bit spicy at Police Headquarters.

In addition to community leaders, Boston police engaged with protesters in a positive manner. They talked with them, shook hands, listened and many also took a knee multiple times when asked.

I hope other towns look at what happened last night in Brockton and Boston and learn from each event.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

i was somewhat surprised it wasn’t worst. I have my opinions on the crowd control but I’ll leave that out of here.

There was some action in New Bedford recently, luckily nothing went south in the area where I’m staying.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't know. It's happened once before, so luckily I wasn't completely flipped out, just slightly.

We had the cleaning lady come in yesterday, so I'm sure that stirred up a lot of dust and pollen since the windows have been open. It was also pretty humid last night.

The battery seems to be fine, but who knows. I took it out when I could finally get the freaking thing off the ceiling and threw it on the bed in the guest room for my husband to deal with when he gets home. I've been debating upgrading to the Nest alarms, but it's pretty low on the priority list.

The kicker is where this alarm is, it's the highest point of the ceiling in my house. There's a landing at the top of the stairs, and a low railing that we have a storage bench pushed against. The only way I can get to the ceiling is to stand on the bench, which is scary AF since there's no real protection if I lose my balance and fall forward - I'd fall down to the first floor. Anywho, I'm standing on the bench, holding on to the wall for balance, and reach up to the ceiling to try and take the damn thing down, completely forgetting the ceiling fan is on full blast and is in the path to the smoke detector. I now have a nice cut on my hand from the blades because dumb Katie at 5am reached right through the fan to get to the detector.

HA! That's always the way it happens. It's never one that's easy to get to and you always almost end up killing yourself.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I did and it was very scary. Things were very peaceful and all of a sudden it erupted in violence.

What struck me was that there was a lack of leadership from the community and from the organizer. The Brockton protest was organized by one young woman and she had no one else with her to support her. I strongly believe if she had others standing behind her, they would have been able to keep things peaceful

Last night in Boston, they had several local officials walking and talking to the groups of protesters. When things started to slide the organizers policed the crowd and quickly reprimanded those who tried to throw bottles at the officers. Former city councilor Tito Jackson also got in the center of the group a few times and started talking to them and listened to them express their concerns. He did this during the march at Franklin Park and again when things got a bit spicy at Police Headquarters.

In addition to community leaders, Boston police engaged with protesters in a positive manner. They talked with them, shook hands, listened and many also took a knee multiple times when asked.

I hope other towns look at what happened last night in Brockton and Boston and learn from each event.
We had a protest in our town last night. It started off with a lot of screaming and profanity but then the mayor and the police chief came out. There were two leaders of the protest, one male and one female, who told the crowd to be quiet and let the mayor and chief talk. It seemed to be productive. Everyone who spoke was reasonable, on both sides. And it dispersed peacefully. No looting, no riots, no silliness. More of that and maybe this country can get somewhere.

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It was an odd thing to watch. Boston was filled with people but they were mostly just having their say and being decent human beings. And then Brockton was one match away from going up in smoke. Seeing that play out on TV was really tense. Like who's going to be the idiot that does something dumb and touches this off? Because that's what it felt like. All it needed to go bad was one little spark.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I will say that, to me, the only real cookie is one that has chocolate chips in it. Anything else is a trick. Maaaaaybe oatmeal raisin in a pinch (I don't know what a cookie pinch is) is acceptable.

The worst is dry Italian cookies, or sugar cookies. Butter cookies I don't like either.

I don't think it would be right if Italian cookies and dessert were the best. They already kill it in dinner so it would be unfair.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Detectors have a life-span, there should be a date stamped or on a sticker somewhere, if you're past that date (or even within a couple months) it's time to replace it.

But yeah sometimes they just like to freak you out

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Reese’s dominated Twix in the finals of our candy bracket for anyone that followed my posts last night. Next bracket subject is TBD.

Ugh. I will take broccoli over Reese's any day. The peanut butter stuff doesn't taste like actual creamy peanut butter, and I'm not a big fan of sweet with peanut butter anyway. I take my peanut butter sandwiches sans jelly, and I don't mind peanuts in main dishes like Pad Thai.

That said, I also don't mind a Snickers...I guess the whole peanuts make all the difference versus the granular, sugary "peanut butter filling" of a Reese's. The GOAT top four are Nestle Crunch, Twix, Kit Kat, and Snickers. A good, fancy dark chocolate bar will also work.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ugh. I will take broccoli over Reese's any day. The peanut butter stuff doesn't taste like actual creamy peanut butter, and I'm not a big fan of sweet with peanut butter anyway. I take my peanut butter sandwiches sans jelly, and I don't mind peanuts in main dishes like Pad Thai.

That said, I also don't mind a Snickers...I guess the whole peanuts make all the difference versus the granular, sugary "peanut butter filling" of a Reese's. The GOAT top four are Nestle Crunch, Twix, Kit Kat, and Snickers. A good, fancy dark chocolate bar will also work.

You're dead to me. :laugh:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

If you thought the COVID threads turned into a shitshow, let me at someone who doesn't like Reeses.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR RIGHT MIND, MAN?!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

fascist!

Broccoli does have iron tho

Reactions: talkinaway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad