Friedman: Calgary will consider offers on Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Sorry, I didn't see Bennett's name in the title. It was my offer for Hamilton.

That offer could get you a Bennett and a Michael Stone. Hamilton costs a LOT more. Marner or Nylander+ is the likely ask from Toronto for Hamilton. I don't know if Leafs would do that, but I can't see the Flames taking less for him.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
I’d do it. I think Rielly and Hamilton would mesh super well together.

Agreed as would Nylander and Gaudreau, the skill would be filthy.

Im actually someone who doesn't want to trade Nylander, but Hamilton is one of the few D-Men i'd trade him for

Subban, Hamilton or Jones are really the only ones I would consider packaging up Nylander for

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Im actually someone who doesn't want to trade Nylander, but Hamilton is one of the few D-Men i'd trade him for

Subban, Hamilton or Jones are really the only ones I would consider packaging up Nylander for
I for one appreciate you being reasonable

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The unreasonable ones probably have never watched a Calgary game realistically.

Hamilton is getting underrated big time here
I think it's also a case where people didn't read the article and have this misconception the Flames are shopping him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The unreasonable ones probably have never watched a Calgary game realistically.

Hamilton is getting underrated big time here
The best part about Hamilton being in Toronto is he’d probably re-sign for another 8 years because he’s close to home. So, that’s essentially 11 years of Hamilton. I can’t predict the future, but that’s my opinion.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Omg...thats two apples and an orange, bud.

Reactions: Devonator

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the idea of exploring a Dougie Hamilton trade is a smart one. He'll have some value in his well established ability to produce points from the blueline, but he's probably the most replaceable within the Flames system and would free up substantial cap space.

You've got a guy like Rasmus Andersson who you're hoping can be that RH PP guy at least. Plus you've got Valimaki coming, maybe sooner rather than later...who can produce offense as well, and could end up a better all-around defender. You've gotta do something with that defence in Calgary. Too much invested in it, for a unit that hasn't really worked out the way people expect on paper.

You're not moving Giordano. Brodie has nice versatility in that he's shown he can be part of a quality top-pairing with Giordano, or he can play either side on a 2nd pairing, on a good contract. Plus, would probably be selling at a low value-wise. He can be better than he was last year. And Hamonic is the guy you just invested significantly in and wouldn't see that same return if you flipped him immediately, but seemed to be finally settling in later in the year and also comes with that sweetheart contract.

Which pretty much leads to moving Hamilton. And letting your young defencemen start to filter in to replace him.

With Bennett...if you can dangle him and get a team to pay a premium because they see some of that initial "upside" still locked in there, and think a change of scenery will rattle it loose...by all means deal him. But it could just as easily be one of those scenarios where the potential of him finally "getting it" is worth more to the Flames than other teams are going to be willing to wager. Especially when you're looking at a new coach that might rattle something loose with a quasi change of scenery in Calgary anyway.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I think the idea of exploring a Dougie Hamilton trade is a smart one. He'll have some value in his well established ability to produce points from the blueline, but he's probably the most replaceable within the Flames system and would free up substantial cap space.

You've got a guy like Rasmus Andersson who you're hoping can be that RH PP guy at least. Plus you've got Valimaki coming, maybe sooner rather than later...who can produce offense as well, and could end up a better all-around defender. You've gotta do something with that defence in Calgary. Too much invested in it, for a unit that hasn't really worked out the way people expect on paper.

You're not moving Giordano. Brodie has nice versatility in that he's shown he can be part of a quality top-pairing with Giordano, or he can play either side on a 2nd pairing, on a good contract. Plus, would probably be selling at a low value-wise. He can be better than he was last year. And Hamonic is the guy you just invested significantly in and wouldn't see that same return if you flipped him immediately, but seemed to be finally settling in later in the year and also comes with that sweetheart contract.

Which pretty much leads to moving Hamilton. And letting your young defencemen start to filter in to replace him.

With Bennett...if you can dangle him and get a team to pay a premium because they see some of that initial "upside" still locked in there, and think a change of scenery will rattle it loose...by all means deal him. But it could just as easily be one of those scenarios where the potential of him finally "getting it" is worth more to the Flames than other teams are going to be willing to wager. Especially when you're looking at a new coach that might rattle something loose with a quasi change of scenery in Calgary anyway.
How do Flames fans feel about a deal around Kessel for Hamilton?

Maybe Kessel+Maatta for Hamilton+Bennett?

I know Calgary is in the market for a top line RW and Pitt really needs a D upgrade.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I know Calgary is in the market for a top line RW and Pitt really needs a D upgrade.

I am a bit hesitant on this due to Kessel's age and the extra cap hit here. Short term, this definitely makes the Flames better especially since Kessel has shown he doesn't need a 1C to produce (would like to pair him with Janko-Bennett). With Maatta playing the left side you can now put Brodie back with Gio.

This is a tough one. Short term gain, but might bite the Flames down the road.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009

Flames should have traded for Kessel 3 years ago. They needed a high end RW back then too. That was highway robbery by the Pens.

I remember suggesting trading for him back then and plenty of Flames fans saying it was too risky, he's not that good, his cap hits too high, and other such nonsense. Probably the same dummies that would be mad if the Flames traded big assets to acquire Erik Karlsson, or signed Tavares as a UFA for $10-12 million per year.

When elite players are available, in their prime, you gotta get on that right away.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hamilton is a 24 year old top pairing defenceman with proven production under contract for another 3 years at an AAV under 6 million.

He's not getting traded for Kevin LaBanc. Seriously doubt he's getting traded at all. Bennett on the other hand, maybe he gets moved for another forward in a similar position. Or they keep him and see how he does under another coach. Wouldn't be surprised at either.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
How about Kevin LaBanc+2018 1st+2019 1st for Dougie Hamilton?

No thanks, again, Calgary is not rebuilding, if they're trading Hamilton its for a top 6 right winger that fits into their age window. So while LeBanc fits i age wise, he's not going to be a top 6 guy playing professional hockey, and while the picks are nice, this trade would be throwing Hamilton away.

Pass.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No thanks, again, Calgary is not rebuilding, if they're trading Hamilton its for a top 6 right winger that fits into their age window. So while LeBanc fits i age wise, he's not going to be a top 6 guy playing professional hockey, and while the picks are nice, this trade would be throwing Hamilton away.

Pass.

LaBanc had 40 points this year, how is he not going to be a top-6 guy playing professional hockey?

Plus, the speculation was that Calgary wants to get back into the first round this year. This trade gives them a top-6 RW along with a 1st in 2018 and another asset to help the value.

But then again, this is just Friedman’s baseless speculation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad