Friedman: Calgary will consider offers on Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think it's a long shot that the Flames actually trade Dougie. If they do, though, trading him for a similar age, similar ability player is ... unlikely. These trades just don't happen very often in the NHL, almost always it's "quality for quantity" type deals. Fans never like these deals, but GMs recognize the value of depth, just look at Vegas.

To reiterate, I don't think Dougie actually gets dealt. But if he does, the return will likely be something more like a 1st and two solid NHLers than a Mark Stone type.

Then no trade happens. Hamilton is an enormous trade asset right now because pretty much all team need a top pairing big 24 year old defenseman who puts up points and is decent defensively and is just getting better.

so Calgary is happy to keep him unless the offer blows their doors off. So basically an offer of two solid NHL'ers and a first gets the phone hung up because it does nothing for a Flames team, and I'm going to repeat it again because people don't get it. Want to compete now, so if Dougie is traded its to fill the top line right wing spot. So if that offer isn't there the phone goes down.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Nope, never not a chance, neither of those guys is what the Flames need, and Hamilton solves a lot of problems for the Oilers.

Outside of Draisaitl as a winger, the Oilers don't have the asset that they would need to give up to get Hamilton.
He is not something that Edmonton needs that bad. He is one of the softest dmen I have ever seen and relies on Gio to prop him up.
Gio is so underrated.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Why are they trading him if that's the case then exactly?
Flames aren't in a position where they're in a cap crunch, he's being unruly, they have people pushing his position.

The only reason you'd even consider it, and honestly, they're not considering it, is if you can get a top line player in return.
Getting a late first and two NHL players for a star player is about as bad GMing as you can do.

The Flames have an excess of d prospects and need a top line RW.

But yes, the Flames have no reason to trade Dougie, but would do it for the right offer. And the right offer is not a Phaneuf type transaction of quality for depth. The right offer would be a Jones/Johansen, Hall/Larrson, or to a lesser extent JVR/Schenn type swap. Those trades are very rare but they do happen. If Dougie does get traded, it has to be a deal that makes the Flames a better team right now and for the next 3-5 years. So that means a legit 1st line RW, or possibly C, that is a near PPG player and is relatively young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad