Calgary vs San Jose 7 game series

Who would win 7 game series?

• Total voters

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
FWIW I'd rather face Vegas than you guys. That is why I really want us to take the #1 seed. If it's us two in #2 and #3 seed, it's going to be a bloodbath. And, I don't want to see EK65 completely tear us up.
No way. I'd much rather play the Sharks in the playoffs than Vegas. Fleury can win a playoff series all by himself. Who have San Jose got in goal that can do that? The Sharks are still living in the past of 2016 and still believe that Jones is the same player and Reimer is still on the team. And Dell is... well Dell is Dell. A career AHL goalie which again this year he's proving to be. Sharks won't go far when their #1 goalie has a .901 Sv%
Having terrible goaltending is ok when you're playing teams that can't score and you can... unfortunately the Flames don't fit into that scenario as they're 2nd in league scoring with 166 GF.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
No way. I'd much rather play the Sharks in the playoffs than Vegas. Fleury can win a playoff series all by himself. Who have San Jose got in goal that can do that? The Sharks are still living in the past of 2016 and still believe that Jones is the same player and Reimer is still on the team. And Dell is... well Dell is Dell. A career AHL goalie which again this year he's proving to be. Sharks won't go far when their #1 goalie has a .901 Sv%
Having terrible goaltending is ok when you're playing teams that can't score and you can... unfortunately the Flames don't fit into that scenario as they're 2nd in league scoring with 166 GF.

Except much like Quick, Jones is mediocre during the regular season and money in the playoffs. He also has been much better as of late which coincidentally the team defense has been as well. Dell is definitely one of the better backups in the league. We’ll see about Rittich.

Jones playoff numbers:

2016- GAA: 2.16 SV%: .923

2017- GAA: 1.75. SV%: .935

2018- GAA: 2.26 SV%: .928

My God, the regression!

Reactions: RockyMTNShark

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pretty much this.

San Jose is having a great season but Calgary seems like they are playing with destiny this season.

They’re more like any other team who was on pace for ~105-110 points after ~half a season before crumbling down to what they really are: mediocre.

Think 2016-2017 Minnesota Wild.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Aaron Dell a career AHL goalie, which again this year he’s proving to be? When did he prove it last? Was it 2017-2018, when his save percentage was 1% higher than David Rittich’s? Or was it 2016-2017, when he had a .931 SV% - 0.8% higher than any Calgary goaltender has had since the lockout?

On top of that, Jones being better than Gibson was the biggest reason we swept Anaheim in the first round, which happened in 2018. Ask Anaheim fans if you don’t believe me. James Reimer is entirely irrelevant and was in 2016 when he didn’t start a single game in the playoffs.

Have you ever heard of Pavlov’s dog? All I need to do is see the dog in your profile picture, and I roll my eyes in response to the nonsense I’m about to read. You should seriously change your profile picture out of respect to that animal.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, has played better in the last two games... not so much in the last five.

Capture.JPG

Jones has been terribly inconsistent this year. He'll play great for a game or two and then he'll suck again. I'd wait for consistent good results before I say that "he's back".

As for playoff results, most goalies tend to have better averages in the playoffs due to the fact that teams tighten up defensively. Better defense = Better goalie stats.
Jones had very good playoff averages in the years you mentioned above.. no dispute. However he also had much better regular season averages during those years too. 2.17/.918, 2.40/.912, and 2.55/.918 respectively.

Much tougher to go from a Sv% that is barely above .900 to .923 Sv% (or higher) than it is to go from a .918 Sv% to .923 Sv% or a .915 Sv% to a .928 Sv%. The only year where his post season play improved dramatically was 2017 where he went from a season Sv% of .912 to a post season Sv% of .935... but then the sample size of 6 playoff games played is extremely small. The 2018 playoff sample size isn't that great either at 10 games.

In fact the year that he played the most playoff games (24 in 2016) his playoff Sv% (.923) wasn't much better than his regular season Sv% (.918)

I suggest not betting on a miracle to happen. Right now the Jones you used to know doesn't play for the Sharks.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
All this talk about Gaudreau playing out his mind ignores the addition of Lindholm and Peters. Up until now, he'd been playing with Alex Chiasson and Micheal Ferland in a system that didn't allow any support from the Dmen in attack.

Now that the opposition has to respect Giordano, Brodie AND Lindholm we are finally seeing what Gaudreau is fully capable of. This season isn't a flash in the pan for Gaudreau - he's that good

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Aaron Dell a career AHL goalie, which again this year he’s proving to be? When did he prove it last? Was it 2017-2018, when his save percentage was 1% higher than David Rittich’s? Or was it 2016-2017, when he had a .931 SV% - 0.8% higher than any Calgary goaltender has had since the lockout?

On top of that, Jones being better than Gibson was the biggest reason we swept Anaheim in the first round, which happened in 2018. Ask Anaheim fans if you don’t believe me. James Reimer is entirely irrelevant and was in 2016 when he didn’t start a single game in the playoffs.

Have you ever heard of Pavlov’s dog? All I need to do is see the dog in your profile picture, and I roll my eyes in response to the nonsense I’m about to read. You should seriously change your profile picture out of respect to that animal.

LOL. Perhaps if the truth upsets you so much you shouldn't read it. You should think about putting me on ignore.
Also LOL about the Pavlov dog comment. I like your pic too. Fitting.

As to Aaron Dell... a 29 year old goalie with 64 NHL games under his belt and a current GAA of 3.02 and Sv% .891

Need I say more?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
LOL. Perhaps if the truth upsets you so much you shouldn't read it. You should think about putting me on ignore.
Also LOL about the Pavlov dog comment. I like your pic too. Fitting.

As to Aaron Dell... a 29 year old goalie with 64 NHL games under his belt and a current GAA of 3.02 and Sv% .891

Need I say more?

64 NHL games and a career GAA of 2.53 and SV% of .914.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
64 NHL games and a career GAA of 2.53 and SV% of .914.
Mike Smith: Career 532 NHL GP, 2.71 GAA, .912 Sv%

See, I can play that game too. What you've done in the past has f*** all to do with how you're playing in the present, and my sample size is a hell of a lot bigger than yours.
Right now, Mike Smith sucks and so does Aaron Dell. The difference being that Smith was a NHL goalie for most of his career. Aaron Dell? Not.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Mike Smith: Career 532 NHL GP, 2.71 GAA, .912 Sv%

See, I can play that game too. What you've done in the past has **** all to do with how you're playing in the present, and my sample size is a hell of a lot bigger than yours.
Right now, Mike Smith sucks and so does Aaron Dell. The difference being that Smith was a NHL goalie for most of his career. Aaron Dell? Not.

How was Mike Smith an NHL goalie for most of his career, and Dell not, when Dell still has the higher career SV%?

How you’ve done in the past is a great indicator of how you’re going to do in the future. But you really don’t seem to have a grasp of that. I’m guessing you were also one of the people who was certain that Erik Karlsson was done after he only recorded 7 points in his first 18 games. :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How was Mike Smith an NHL goalie for most of his career, and Dell not, when Dell still has the higher career SV%?

How you’ve done in the past is a great indicator of how you’re going to do in the future. But you really don’t seem to have a grasp of that. I’m guessing you were also one of the people who was certain that Erik Karlsson was done after he only recorded 7 points in his first 18 games. :laugh:
Is that the best you can do? :biglaugh:
You're struggling son... you're struggling. Give it up. You've lost.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They’re more like any other team who was on pace for ~105-110 points after ~half a season before crumbling down to what they really are: mediocre.

Think 2016-2017 Minnesota Wild.

Well they are on pace for 113 points how many do you think they end up with?

16-17 wild ended up with 106 points so I'm not sure of the reference there.

Like I said I'm not sure why the comp to the 16-17 wild, both teams are constructed quite differently.

I mean the Granlund led the Wild in points with 69 and Gradreau has 67 right now.

Reactions: Ducksauce

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Is that the best you can do? :biglaugh:
You're struggling son... you're struggling. Give it up. You've lost.

You’re the one making outlandish hot take statements like “Aaron Dell is a career AHLer” and then providing absolutely nothing to back them up. Go ahead and start a poll, or just wait until the end of next season. I promise you that you’ll be proven wrong as Dell will be a solid NHL backup like he always has been.

Well they are on pace for 113 points how many do you think they end up with?

16-17 wild ended up with 106 points so I'm not sure of the reference there.

Like I said I'm not sure why the comp to the 16-17 wild, both teams are constructed quite differently.

I mean the Granlund led the Wild in points with 69 and Gradreau has 67 right now.

The Wild were on pace for 116 points on January 12, 2017.

They’re both slightly above average teams that have been historically mediocre and are playing at a level they won’t sustain. I don’t think their rosters are built comparably.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You’re the one making outlandish hot take statements like “Aaron Dell is a career AHLer” and then providing absolutely nothing to back them up. Go ahead and start a poll, or just wait until the end of next season. I promise you that you’ll be proven wrong as Dell will be a solid NHL backup like he always has been.

They’re both slightly above average teams that have been historically mediocre and are playing at a level they won’t sustain. I don’t think their rosters are built comparably.
Sorry. You're wong. :facepalm:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry. You're wong. :facepalm:

You’re the one who said Aaron Dell, whose .931 SV% in 2016-2017 was .008 higher than any Calgary Flames goaltender since the lockout, was a career AHLer.

That’s where the actual facepalms belong. You’re merely backed into a corner because you tried to defend a ridiculous statement that you know deep down isn’t true.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You’re the one who said Aaron Dell, whose .931 SV% in 2016-2017 was .008 higher than any Calgary Flames goaltender since the lockout, was a career AHLer.

That’s where the actual facepalms belong. You’re merely backed into a corner because you tried to defend a ridiculous statement that you know deep down isn’t true.
Again.. when just one FP isn't enough. :facepalm::facepalm:

Bye. Done here. You just don't get it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Well the Wild dropped 10 points off their pace then, I don't see that happening with the flames who are on pace for 113 right now.

I think that the additions of a new coach and Lindholm and Hanifin are helping the Flames immensely as is the emergence of Mathew Tkachuk as an elite forward in the NHL.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well the Wild dropped 10 points off their pace then, I don't see that happening with the flames who are on pace for 113 right now.

I think that the additions of a new coach and Lindholm and Hanifin are helping the Flames immensely as is the emergence of Mathew Tkachuk as an elite forward in the NHL.

I think the Flames finishing with 103 points is very realistic, but we’ll see.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think the Flames finishing with 103 points is very realistic, but we’ll see.

That would be only 41 points in their last 36 games.

I don't see them dropping down to that level, even when Mike Smith is in net with his .886 save % the Flames are still 12-9-1

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Much as my playoff hope for San Jose is always either a full sweep or a 7 game reverse sweep, my pick would be the Sharks here.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
All this talk of the goalies making the difference between these two seems like it's missing the point.

They are both high powered offenses so it will be commitment to team D that will be the difference. While that hasn't been solid all season for the sharks, they are trending in the right direction, where as the flames have been allowing more goals against / game recently. If that continues they will both finish in roughly the same place in GF/GA.

It will be a tough series but I think the sharks experience can pull it out.

Reactions: Bando

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
All this talk of the goalies making the difference between these two seems like it's missing the point.

They are both high powered offenses so it will be commitment to team D that will be the difference. While that hasn't been solid all season for the sharks, they are trending in the right direction, where as the flames have been allowing more goals against / game recently. If that continues they will both finish in roughly the same place in GF/GA.

It will be a tough series but I think the sharks experience can pull it out.
Finally some actual reasonable discussion instead of rubi and rooster playing a game of bad hot takes.

I agree completely with this, the flames have actually been looking pretty bad in the last 3-4 games. If they can tighten up defensively again id have more confidence over a pretty deep sharks team.

Reactions: RockyMTNShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad