Calgary vs San Jose 7 game series

Who would win 7 game series?

• Total voters

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yes, has played better in the last two games... not so much in the last five.

View attachment 174897

Jones has been terribly inconsistent this year. He'll play great for a game or two and then he'll suck again. I'd wait for consistent good results before I say that "he's back".

As for playoff results, most goalies tend to have better averages in the playoffs due to the fact that teams tighten up defensively. Better defense = Better goalie stats.
Jones had very good playoff averages in the years you mentioned above.. no dispute. However he also had much better regular season averages during those years too. 2.17/.918, 2.40/.912, and 2.55/.918 respectively.

Much tougher to go from a Sv% that is barely above .900 to .923 Sv% (or higher) than it is to go from a .918 Sv% to .923 Sv% or a .915 Sv% to a .928 Sv%. The only year where his post season play improved dramatically was 2017 where he went from a season Sv% of .912 to a post season Sv% of .935... but then the sample size of 6 playoff games played is extremely small. The 2018 playoff sample size isn't that great either at 10 games.

In fact the year that he played the most playoff games (24 in 2016) his playoff Sv% (.923) wasn't much better than his regular season Sv% (.918)

I suggest not betting on a miracle to happen. Right now the Jones you used to know doesn't play for the Sharks.

So your excuse as to why Jones has better playoff numbers is that the team in front of him suddenly just tightens up defensively every April? That’s simply not true and is a lazy take coming from someone who doesn’t really watch the sharks but wants to come off as an expert.

If team defense is so indicative of a goalie’s stat line you’d know that this season the sharks as a team were playing their worse defensive hockey they ever have under Deboer and led to a large portion of the fan base calling for his head. They have always played the same 1-2-2 system but had too many players pinching on the cycle leading to a lot of odd man rushes the other way every game.

As a result Dell and Jones were left hanging out to dry for the first few months of this season and it reflects in both of their stats. Analyze the numbers as you will but I’ll bet on Jones come April-June.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looking forward to the rubber match on Feb 7. Two equally good teams but I feel that having Rittich in goal gives Calgary a slight edge.... maybe 51% to 49% in favour of the Flames. I definitely expect it to be a great game though... probably a battle through to the final second in which either team could win.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Vegas scares me more than the Sharks do tbh. Although not by much, SJ has a very good roster. Not a lot separates those 3 teams, might come down to who has home ice advantage.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Vegas scares me more than the Sharks do tbh. Although not by much, SJ has a very good roster. Not a lot separates those 3 teams, might come down to who has home ice advantage.
Or whoever has the hotter goalie at that particular moment. We've all seen games where a team can't score for love nor money because the opposing goalie is stopping EVERYTHING.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In his last 16 starts, Jones is 12-2-1 with a 2.30 GAA and a .920 SV%.

He’s not quite as good as those numbers, but those numbers are a lot closer to who he really is than the numbers from his poor start.

Reactions: WSS11

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Did the homers angrily present their spreadsheets all over the thread?

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
You’re the one making outlandish hot take statements like “Aaron Dell is a career AHLer” and then providing absolutely nothing to back them up. Go ahead and start a poll, or just wait until the end of next season. I promise you that you’ll be proven wrong as Dell will be a solid NHL backup like he always has been.

The Wild were on pace for 116 points on January 12, 2017.

They’re both slightly above average teams that have been historically mediocre and are playing at a level they won’t sustain. I don’t think their rosters are built comparably.

You say they have been a historically mediocre team, which is accurate, but the easy counter argument to that is that in the off season they added 8 new players in Lindholm, Hanifin, Dube, Ryan, Neal, Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson while also switching starting goalies and bringing in an entirely new coaching staff. Not to mention a lot of their core are young players in their early 20's that have shown progression. Historically what they have done doesn't really matter. This is a completley different team than past seasons.

You wouldn't argue that Chicago or LA will turn it around in the second half because historically, they have been Stanley Cup contenders. Teams evolve and change over time.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You say they have been a historically mediocre team, which is accurate, but the easy counter argument to that is that in the off season they added 8 new players in Lindholm, Hanifin, Dube, Ryan, Neal, Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson while also switching starting goalies and bringing in an entirely new coaching staff. Not to mention a lot of their core are young players in their early 20's that have shown progression. Historically what they have done doesn't really matter. This is a completley different team than past seasons.

You wouldn't argue that Chicago or LA will turn it around in the second half because historically, they have been Stanley Cup contenders. Teams evolve and change over time.

“Historically” doesn’t refer to 2015 and before when Chicago and Los Angeles we’re still winning playoff rounds. It refers to 2016 and beyond when Calgary has won 0 playoff games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
“Historically” doesn’t refer to 2015 and before when Chicago and Los Angeles we’re still winning playoff rounds. It refers to 2016 and beyond when Calgary has won 0 playoff games.
I love it when you make dogmatic announcements.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The dude lost a fight to Vlasic. Even Danny Briere hugged out a draw with him back in the day.

Sharks aren't concerned with your draft bust.

LMAO.

I love it when you make dogmatic announcements.

I’m telling him what I mean when I use the term “historically”. That I’m not referring to 2015 and before, when the Flames have actually won a playoff game, but rather 2016 and onward, when they haven’t.

In the past 3 seasons, the Sharks win 1.33 playoff series per year. In that same time frame, the Flames win 0 playoff games per year.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
You're ignoring the point. What the Flames were two seasons ago doesn't matter.

19 players that played games for the Flames in 2016-2017 are no longer in the organization. Not mention an entirely new coaching staff. The 2018-2019 Flames are a completely different team than the 2016-2017 Flames. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

Hamilton, Versteeg, Ferland, Brouwer, Chiasson, Stajan, Wideman, Engelland, Bouma, Jokipakka, Kulak, F.Hamilton, Vey, Grossman, Bartkowski, Johnson, Elliot all gone

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I wish there was a way to view the votes in this poll on a timeline. The first I saw it was 60-40 in favor of Calgary, now it is a slight edge to the Sharks. Clearly the Sharks recent win streak is influencing the vote. I'm curious about how many people would change their vote if they could.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The dude lost a fight to Vlasic. Even Danny Briere hugged out a draw with him back in the day.

Sharks aren't concerned with your draft bust.

Wasn’t even a fight. But good try. Bennett tunes up some bigger guys in the past.

We love our ‘bust’ by the way.

Is Vlasic in the league anymore anyways?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wasn’t even a fight. But good try. Bennett tunes up some bigger guys in the past.

We love our ‘bust’ by the way.

Is Vlasic in the league anymore anyways?
It was, and Bennett lost. Video don't lie.

Vlasic is a 2-time Olympian champ. You throwing shade at him to pump up your 4th overall, .3 ppg bust is comical. You guys like to talk shit about Evander Kane, but he's twice the player now that Bennett will ever be.

Thanks for the draft pick that ended up being Vlasic, btw. Is Kipper in the league anymore anyways?...

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
It was, and Bennett lost. Video don't lie.

Vlasic is a 2-time Olympian champ. You throwing shade at him to pump up your 4th overall, .3 ppg bust is comical. You guys like to talk **** about Evander Kane, but he's twice the player now that Bennett will ever be.

Thanks for the draft pick that ended up being Vlasic, btw. Is Kipper in the league anymore anyways?...
Are you seriously dissing the kipper trade??? Vezina winner vs playing bottom pairing for the best hockey country, Which is more impressive? Arent people wishing vlasic off the team like 2 weeks ago too?? Hahaha you should just stop. Also cool kane is twice the player bennett is, but we aint paying bennett 3.5mill so enjoy kane at 7.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Are you seriously dissing the kipper trade??? Vezina winner vs playing bottom pairing for the best hockey country, Which is more impressive? Arent people wishing vlasic off the team like 2 weeks ago too?? Hahaha you should just stop. Also cool kane is twice the player bennett is, but we aint paying bennett 3.5mill so enjoy kane at 7.
Kipper>vlasic and it’s not even in the same universe. That 7 million dollar contract not looking too hot coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You're ignoring the point. What the Flames were two seasons ago doesn't matter.

19 players that played games for the Flames in 2016-2017 are no longer in the organization. Not mention an entirely new coaching staff. The 2018-2019 Flames are a completely different team than the 2016-2017 Flames. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

Hamilton, Versteeg, Ferland, Brouwer, Chiasson, Stajan, Wideman, Engelland, Bouma, Jokipakka, Kulak, F.Hamilton, Vey, Grossman, Bartkowski, Johnson, Elliot all gone

Historically, the Flames have won a Stanley Cup, while the Sharks have not. Leads me to believe they are much more likely to win another than SJ.

Besides Hamilton, Elliott, and Ferland, none of those players matter at all. That’s just shuffling of depth players that most teams do.

The core of Giordano, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Brodie, and Monahan is one that has historically produced very mediocre results. That’s what I mean when I say historically.

Obviously I don’t care about what happened whether or not the Flames won a Cup before the Sharks were even in the league.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Kipper would be 42 this season... That trade was a win-win for both clubs even if Kipper retired a little early. There's plenty of other stuff to say (even if homer), but this statement is a bizarre one.

EDIT: Those slagging Vlasic aren't much better. Both guys were excellent for their clubs.

Besides Hamilton, Elliott, and Ferland, none of those players matter at all. That’s just shuffling of depth players that most teams do.

The core of Giordano, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Brodie, and Monahan is one that has historically produced very mediocre results. That’s what I mean when I say historically.

Obviously I don’t care about what happened whether or not the Flames won a Cup before the Sharks were even in the league.

Man, your sarcasm detector must be off on that Flames cup comment.

If you admit that moving on from TMac helped recent performance of the Sharks, then you'd have to admit the same for the Flames who are no longer playing under Gulutzan. The two are under completely different identities and the sharks have been under the current one for longer than the Flames.

The Flames are finally unshackled from a poor fit of a coach (Gully is a cycle styled coach vs Peters is a rush styled coach) and the supporting cast to the core was overhauled this off season. As some other posters have stated, Flames are doing better now, but have higher risk of collapsing in the playoffs. I agree with that statement. I think that the two teams in a playoff series go to 5 or 6 games, but the winner will take it by extremely thin margins (ie: close OT losses, weird bounce = GWG etc.)

I'm not going to vote on this one, but I'd probably say that a Sharks/Flames series would be a hell of a series and an emotional roller coaster for both sides.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Vlasic played shutdown minutes with Doughty, and was good enough to be selected to the best team in the world twice.

People overreacting to Vlasic's play this year doesn't matter. He shut down the lines of Kopitar, Forsberg, Tarasenko, Crosby and McDavid in the playoffs between 16-17. I know flames fans weren't watching hockey then, but get off the farm and try to keep up.

Reactions: Bowie22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad