Calgary vs San Jose 7 game series

Who would win 7 game series?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who cares about how well you played in the past. Its how well you are playing now that matters. Jones sucks right now and he's sucked for the past half season. I doubt he will suddenly morph into a .926 goalie after a half season of failure. But go ahead.. keep believing in sudden redemption. Its the only scenario that fits your dream.

Jones allowed only 2 goals to the Tampa Bay Lightning so I guess that’s the only thing that matters.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I feel like Calgary is the better team (today) but has greater bed-shitting potential in the playoffs. I'll go with experience and say San Jose in a tight series.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I feel like Calgary is the better team (today) but has greater bed-****ting potential in the playoffs. I'll go with experience and say San Jose in a tight series.
Before last year they used to often say that about the Sharks. Is last year now the rule or the exception?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I posted this in last night’s NHL GDT but it fits here as well:

What people don’t seem to realize is that when comparing two teams that have played roughly 45 games, it’s generally good to look at other factors, including prior performances from those teams and their players, when judging their play.

Historically, the Sharks are a lot better than the Flames. And they added Karlsson, who is historically the best defenseman of his generation. Calgary, meanwhile, is historically a pretty mediocre team. They’re currently benefitting from a lot of “out of the norm” performances from players like David Rittich, Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, and Mark Giordano. (Players like Gaudreau and Giordano are great but they’re also having career years by significant margins.)

As I mentioned in another thread, Calgary isn’t even top-10 in any of the following metrics: 5V5 GF/60, 5V5 GA/60, PP%, or PK%. The only reason they are currently winning games at the level of an elite team is because they are 1st in the NHL in power play opportunities, and they’ve had 20 more PP opportunities than penalty kills. Bill Peters is a coach with a history of strong disciplined teams, but the way that the Flames play hockey, along with the fact that they regularly play dirty players like Sam Bennett and Garnet Hathaway, leads me to believe that they probably won’t be able to sustain such good favor with the referees.

Remember, it’s still early into the season. It wasn’t very long ago that Morgan Rielly led the entire league in scoring. Let’s see where we are by season’s end.

Before last year they used to often say that about the Sharks. Is last year now the rule or the exception?

The Sharks won one fewer playoff game in 2015-2016 than Calgary has won since the (2005-2006) lockout.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009

What people don’t seem to realize is that when comparing two teams that have played roughly 45 games, it’s generally good to look at other factors, including prior performances from those teams and their players, when judging their play.

Historically, the Sharks are a lot better than the Flames. And they added Karlsson, who is historically the best defenseman of his generation. Calgary, meanwhile, is historically a pretty mediocre team. They’re currently benefitting from a lot of “out of the norm” performances from players like David Rittich, Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, and Mark Giordano. (Players like Gaudreau and Giordano are great but they’re also having career years by significant margins.)

As I mentioned in another thread, Calgary isn’t even top-10 in any of the following metrics: 5V5 GF/60, 5V5 GA/60, PP%, or PK%. The only reason they are currently winning games at the level of an elite team is because they are 1st in the NHL in power play opportunities, and they’ve had 20 more PP opportunities than penalty kills. Bill Peters is a coach with a history of strong disciplined teams, but the way that the Flames play hockey, along with the fact that they regularly play dirty players like Sam Bennett and Garnet Hathaway, leads me to believe that they probably won’t be able to sustain such good favor with the referees.

Remember, it’s still early into the season. It wasn’t very long ago that Morgan Rielly led the entire league in scoring. Let’s see where we are by season’s end.

The Sharks won one fewer playoff game in 2015-2016 than Calgary has won since the (2005-2006) lockout.
So much wrong I don’t even know where to begin.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames 28-13-4 after tonight's win over the Avs.
To be honest the Flames got lucky as they didn't really show up to play in their first game back from a four game road trip.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

This made me look at the numbers. Holy crap, how the hell does Calgary already have 14 short handed goals!??

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Your hate for the Flames knows no bounds ever since Bennett crushed your d-man with a clean hit. It is quite funny, because everything you posted is so wrong. Flames are elite because of powerplay opportunities? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

This series will probably be round 2 if the Flames don't choke in the first round (aka face the Ducks).

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Flames are a young talented team with a bright future. The Sharks are getting old and have not done much with that core. I say Flames in 6 games.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Gaudreau is playing out of his norm?

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Flames are a young talented team with a bright future. The Sharks are getting old and have not done much with that core. I say Flames in 6 games.

Actually they are getting younger. Nice try though.

Karlsson, Kane, Meier and Hertl are now part of the core.

Marleau is gone.

Couture, Burns and Pavelski having career years.

Also they made the Cup final a few years ago.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I knew that somebody would take issue with that.

Yes, the 25 year old with a career high of 88 adjusted points, who is currently on pace for 122 points, is playing out of his mind.

He won’t finish with 120. He probably will get 100 or so. He’s been career PPG and last year he paced for 100 for most of the season.

Not sure how this isn’t the norm. He dominates the game when he’s on ice. Creates scoring chances on a regular basis.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I knew that somebody would take issue with that.

Yes, the 25 year old with a career high of 88 adjusted points, who is currently on pace for 122 points, is playing out of his mind.

Perhaps the 25 year old has been steadily progressing each and every year? He's one of the best wingers in the game right now.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

One of the most subjective and overexaggerated thing I've read on here. Sharks have a ton of players not known for being clean, and Dell himself slashed Bennett and got nothing for it. Flames have more opportunities because they have great players that draw a ton of penalties. Even though Calgary isn't top 10 in the stats you've mentioned, they're top 10 in most suppression and generation categories, only a bit below par in high danger chances against.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He won’t finish with 120. He probably will get 100 or so. He’s been career PPG and last year he paced for 100 for most of the season.

Not sure how this isn’t the norm. He dominates the game when he’s on ice. Creates scoring chances on a regular basis.

Pacing for 100 most of the season means nothing when you don’t score 100. He could have been pacing for 60, the fact is that he scored 84.

Perhaps the 25 year old has been steadily progressing each and every year? He's one of the best wingers in the game right now.

Has he really been steadily progressing each and every year? Statistically speaking, ranking by point shares and adjusted points in order to adjust for last year being a higher scoring year, his best seasons are ranked as follows:

2018-2019
2015-2016
2017-2018
2014-2015
2016-2017

So, prior to this season, his worst season occurred more recently than his best one. That’s hardly “steadily progressing each and every year”.

Points and goals generally peak around ages 22-25 for forwards. I agree that Gaudreau has made some improvements on his game this season, but as you mention, he is currently one of the best wingers in the game right now. That can be defined as “out of the norm” for him. Last season, he finished 8th in points for wingers. In 2015-2016, his best season before this one, he finished 4th in scoring for wingers. Given his defensive play and general contributions outside of scoring, I reckon there are quite a few other wingers who scored fewer points than him in those seasons but were better players.

So, maybe a top-5 winger in his best year and maybe a top-10 winger last year. He’s a great player who is having a season that can best be described as a deviation from the mean. Kind of like Taylor Hall last season.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Pacing for 100 most of the season means nothing when you don’t score 100. He could have been pacing for 60, the fact is that he scored 84.

Has he really been steadily progressing each and every year? Statistically speaking, ranking by point shares and adjusted points in order to adjust for last year being a higher scoring year, his best seasons are ranked as follows:

2018-2019
2015-2016
2017-2018
2014-2015
2016-2017

So, prior to this season, his worst season occurred more recently than his best one. That’s hardly “steadily progressing each and every year”.

Points and goals generally peak around ages 22-25 for forwards. I agree that Gaudreau has made some improvements on his game this season, but as you mention, he is currently one of the best wingers in the game right now. That can be defined as “out of the norm” for him. Last season, he finished 8th in points for wingers. In 2015-2016, his best season before this one, he finished 4th in scoring for wingers. Given his defensive play and general contributions outside of scoring, I reckon there are quite a few other wingers who scored fewer points than him in those seasons but were better players.

So, maybe a top-5 winger in his best year and maybe a top-10 winger last year. He’s a great player who is having a season that can best be described as a deviation from the mean. Kind of like Taylor Hall last season.

On pace for 100 doesn’t mean anything for a player that doesn’t finish near that. Gaudreau had 84 in 80. If you look deeper into it, the Flames as a team collapsed in the last quarter (imo smith and injuries to Monahan)

Let’s say some of the above went better and he finished with 90. That’s not really that far fetched.

Not sure what the problem with finishing around 100 is? He’s that good. He’s proven haters wrong his whole career.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
On pace for 100 doesn’t mean anything for a player that doesn’t finish near that. Gaudreau had 84 in 80. If you look deeper into it, the Flames as a team collapsed in the last quarter (imo smith and injuries to Monahan)

Let’s say some of the above went better and he finished with 90. That’s not really that far fetched.

Not sure what the problem with finishing around 100 is? He’s that good. He’s proven haters wrong his whole career.

84 is 84% of 100. 16 points away. Is that really “near”? Is that really “at or to a short distance away”? By your definition, Brayden Schenn, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ricard Rakell, and Josh Bailey were all “near” Gaudreau last season. Are you making that argument as well?

I’m sure he’ll finish the season around 100. It doesn’t change that that is definitely out of his norm, which is what many posters initially took issue with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad