Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure how you value Bennet, but if you’re willing to part with him and a backup goalie I would do that. Understand if it’s still to early to give up on him as well though.
Zero chance of that happening. The goalie market isn't that good and there won't be many takers for Varlamov mid-season, the Avs will take when they can get at the deadline.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Yeah no thanks, don’t have any need for Stone. Not sure if the poster was an Avs fan or not, but I don’t think a good starter (when healthy) is worth a bottom pair dman who is getting over paid. I get Varly has injury worries, but even with those he averages 50-55 games with a mostly above 91.4 save percentage.

Not sure how you value Bennet, but if you’re willing to part with him and a backup goalie I would do that. Understand if it’s still to early to give up on him as well though.

I personally wouldn't move Bennet for one year of Varlie, it doesn't make much sense, and I doubt in that time frame that he would be all that much better then Smith.

I'm not saying I don't like him as a goalie, but I am saying that its way too soon to give up on Bennet.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Cal Pickard is apparently available if Calgary wants. He is at least a credible NHL backup and likely wouldn't cost the Flames more than a late pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Cal Pickard is apparently available if Calgary wants. He is at least a credible NHL backup and likely wouldn't cost the Flames more than a late pick.

I prefer him over Rittich or Gillies so for a 5th or 6th I would be ok with it.

I am not sure what the Flames would do with Rittich/Gillies/Parsons at the AHL, although to be honest I am not too keen on having two of them there anyways.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I prefer him over Rittich or Gillies so for a 5th or 6th I would be ok with it.
With Sparks pushing his way into the NHL after that Calder Cup run and McElhinney playing great as a backup the last two seasons I would have little doubt that a 5th would get it done. Toronto just has too many NHL ready goaltenders right now to possibly use.

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
Unless CGY can get a true #1 or high prospect goalie (like Saros) prior to season openning, there's no reason for them to do anything. You don't pick up a backup that won't take over as #1 if that means backing up Gillies and Rittich even more. As great as Smith is, he is the guy that you look the replace, not the backups. Come Deadline, yeah you look at getting a more experienced guy like Pickard or Varlamov, but CGY also isn't in the position to give up many futures for short term gain.

My dream scenario is that we pick up Saros for Smith + (salary retained, mid pick, Kylington????). Nashville makes their all-in push for the cup, and CGY gets the guy they need.

Or, we make a push for Bobrovsky, whether that be at deadline for what it takes, provided there is an agreement to resign. Or, we hunt him down in FA in the summer.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It is but not anymore than trying to trade Price with that price tag for something usable.
Anything over a 2 million dollar retention would be completely unrealistic, he is worth 8.5 mil, that’s what Lundqvist makes. In the real world multiple teams would want him at 8.5 mil if he was available. But HF is a funny place with funny people.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Unless CGY can get a true #1 or high prospect goalie (like Saros) prior to season openning, there's no reason for them to do anything. You don't pick up a backup that won't take over as #1 if that means backing up Gillies and Rittich even more. As great as Smith is, he is the guy that you look the replace, not the backups. Come Deadline, yeah you look at getting a more experienced guy like Pickard or Varlamov, but CGY also isn't in the position to give up many futures for short term gain.

My dream scenario is that we pick up Saros for Smith + (salary retained, mid pick, Kylington????). Nashville makes their all-in push for the cup, and CGY gets the guy they need.

Or, we make a push for Bobrovsky, whether that be at deadline for what it takes, provided there is an agreement to resign. Or, we hunt him down in FA in the summer.

Bobrovsky is not coming to Calgary, he is a UFA and will likely demand north of $8 Million, I don't think the Flames can tie up that much in a goalie.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgary cannot take Price at the full cap hit and Calgary does not have the assets if there salary retained on Price, which means that Carey Price is not coming to Calgary.

On top of that, why give up that much for a goalie that is on the decline and may not be healthy consistently? No thanks.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Anything over a 2 million dollar retention would be completely unrealistic, he is worth 8.5 mil, that’s what Lundqvist makes. In the real world multiple teams would want him at 8.5 mil if he was available. But HF is a funny place with funny people.

Yes funny people think team will give up that much in order to pay 8.5M for a goalie that had a worse year than Robin Lehner

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The whole team was horrible. You could only dream of having a goalie that good.

So what about buffalo or the islanders? Terrible defensive teams that had better goal tending. Give it up, price just looked terrible out there. Anyway, don't want a starter who has a down year every second year and is getting almost 11 million for 8 more years.

Reactions: No Draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad