Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

member 147413

I assume the 12 games you are referring to are the 12 games Rittich played in the AHL in 2017-2018. The problem with your argument is that Rittich's AHL sample is actually 43 games (31 + 12) and the 8 game sample is a NHL sample as a backup goalie, before being thrown to the wolves after Smith got hurt and being forced into the #1 role which he obviously wasn't ready to assume. Rittich faltered when forced into the #1 role after Smith went down but that's not completely unexpected as a NHL rookie playing for a team that was fighting for a playoff spot, was battling key injuries at the same time, and had a coach that had implemented a system that was difficult to play at the best of times. The pressure that Rittich was experiencing, after Feb 12, must have been overwhelming.
Carry on. Keep trying to convince me that Pickard is an upgrade over Rittich.
You’re trying to argue that 8 successful NHL games as a backup and 31 successful AHL games is evidence that Rittich is a better and higher potential goaltender than a goalie who has 36 successful NHL games as a backup and over 100 successful AHL games. Both goalie are only 3 months apart.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You’re trying to argue that 8 successful NHL games as a backup and 31 successful AHL games is evidence that Rittich is a better and higher potential goaltender than a goalie who has 36 successful NHL games as a backup and over 100 successful AHL games. Both goalie are only 3 months apart.
No. What I'm trying to argue is that there isn't much difference between the two goalies so Pickard isn't an upgrade over Rittich.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
What would be the cost to get Varlamov from Colorado? He's on an expiring contract and is seemingly being usurped by Grubauer.

member 147413

No. What I'm trying to argue is that there isn't much difference between the two goalies so Pickard isn't an upgrade over Rittich.
So it’s a difference of opinion then. There is not much difference between the two, I agree. I’m arguing that Pickard is an upgrade and has more statistical evidence backing that up. Even if a small upgrade, it’s an upgrade. All things considered, I think it would be nonsensical for Calgary to acquire Pickard.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Right now, before the season starts, I'd rather the Flames stick with the status quo. Unless Treliving can make a trade for a blue chip starting goalie (and right now I don't believe there are any available that would fit within our cap structure and wouldn't destroy our future because of who we'd have to give up in a trade) or a blue chip prospect that's currently playing backup but has strong potential to be a #1. I'd rather start the season with Smith as the #1 and Rittich as the backup with Gillies in the wings ready to step in if needed. To do otherwise is to put your faith in magic beans.

A few weeks ago I would have agreed with this but with Noah Hanifin not signed yet makes me believe that the Flames are working on a trade(Hanifin can be signed easily now with Brouwer bought out), the reason that he is not signed yet, I think something is going on.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So it’s a difference of opinion then. There is not much difference between the two, I agree. I’m arguing that Pickard is an upgrade and has more statistical evidence backing that up. Even if a small upgrade, it’s an upgrade. All things considered, I think it would be nonsensical for Calgary to acquire Pickard.
We agree.

Reactions: FishManSam

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A few weeks ago I would have agreed with this but with Noah Hanifin not signed yet makes me believe that the Flames are working on a trade(Hanifin can be signed easily now with Brouwer bought out), the reason that he is not signed yet, I think something is going on.
I think Trelivings just playing hardball with Hanifin's agent. Remember Sean Monahan? Monahan didn't sign until Aug 19. And then there was Gaudreau. It took until Oct 10 to agree to a deal.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think Trelivings just playing hardball with Hanifin's agent. Remember Sean Monahan? Monahan didn't sign until Aug 19. And then there was Gaudreau. It took until Oct 10 to agree to a deal.

Fair enough, for the goalies, what about Joonas Korpisalo?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Will.the Blue Jackets not sign Bobrovsky to a extension.
It all depends on Brobrovsky I guess. At the right price they would be smart to. It all comes down to what Columbus offers and what Brobrovsky wants. Free agency can be very enticing to an elite goaltender. Rare birds and all that. Until they know whether Brobrovsky is staying or leaving I would think that they will want to hold on to Korpisalo.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It all depends on Brobrovsky I guess. At the right price they would be smart to. It all comes down to what Columbus offers and what Brobrovsky wants. Free agency can be very enticing to an elite goaltender. Rare birds and all that. Until they know whether Brobrovsky is staying or leaving I would think that they will want to hold on to Korpisalo.

I think Bob will sign with the Blue Jackets, I think Korpisalo is ready to be the number 1 guy, he was on par with Saros a year ago, I think Saros takes over soon and Korpisalo will need the the 1A/1B situation, which is perfect for the Flames.

I don't know how much faith the Flames management has in Rittch and Gillies but if Smith goes down, than all the moves they have made will go out the window.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And Kadri is currently a 3rd line center.

Rittich had bad AHL and NHL numbers last season. He hasn’t shown any consistent play game by game and no signs of being nothing more than an emergency backup.
Before Rittich was thrust into starting, which he wasn't ready for, his numbers in the NHL were very good actually. But please continue.

member 147413

Before Rittich was thrust into starting, which he wasn't ready for, his numbers in the NHL were very good actually. But please continue.
Please, that’s an 8 game sample size. That same narrative can be used for Pickard’s first 36 games.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im not so sure a Bobrovsky deal gets done anymore. Last negotiation was apparently a harder deal than Johansen' except everyone was more of an adult through it and kept it behind closed doors. Bob has a unique case of 2 Vezina's and you know the team is a lottle nervous on playoff numbers (although clearly not completely on Bob) and probably just commiting the dollars he wants to a goalie in general. Will be an interesting year in Columbus and will be even moreso if they start out slow

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Please, that’s an 8 game sample size. That same narrative can be used for Pickard’s first 36 games.
If Pickard was half as good as you think, he wouldn't have cleared waivers last year. At best he'd be a lateral move. You keep your shitty goalies and we'll keep ours

member 147413

If Pickard was half as good as you think, he wouldn't have cleared waivers last year. At best he'd be a lateral move. You keep your ****ty goalies and we'll keep ours
Lots of good players clear waivers. All I’m suggesting is Pickard is better than Rittich.

Calgary has made a lot of good moves this off-season and opposed to many, I like Hanifin+Lindholm a lot more than Dougie. Adding Neal helps depth scoring. That said, their goaltending is a story (not a good one) waiting to happen. Pickard doesn’t address those issues, he’s not good enough, but suggesting Rittich is a definite better option is false. They’re both bad options and Calgary shouldn’t waste assets trying to acquire Pickard.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lots of good players clear waivers. All I’m suggesting is Pickard is better than Rittich.

Calgary has made a lot of good moves this off-season and opposed to many, I like Hanifin+Lindholm a lot more than Dougie. Adding Neal helps depth scoring. That said, their goaltending is a story (not a good one) waiting to happen. Pickard doesn’t address those issues, he’s not good enough, but suggesting Rittich is a definite better option is false. They’re both bad options and Calgary shouldn’t waste assets trying to acquire Pickard.
Did you even read my f***ing post? I never said he'd definitely better, but he showed enough good last year where a guy like Pickard simply isn't worth the cost, and I don't even mean just in assets, the Flames are maxed out in available goaltending slots. If the Flames make a move, it needs to be a clear cut upgrade, which Pickard is far from.

This thread is based on the rumor that the Flames inquired about Saros, based on the fact the Flames were in on Jones, Talbot, Andersen, Darling.... Etc when they were moved, itsi no shock that they'd look into Saros too. But it's clear that Treliving is looking at good young backups that are potential starters.

After the past two years, that is just not Pickard anymore, he's just as much of a gamble as Rittich or Gillies at this point in time.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I like Stone but would still do that as a Flames fan. You got yourself a deal

Yeah no thanks, don’t have any need for Stone. Not sure if the poster was an Avs fan or not, but I don’t think a good starter (when healthy) is worth a bottom pair dman who is getting over paid. I get Varly has injury worries, but even with those he averages 50-55 games with a mostly above 91.4 save percentage.

Not sure how you value Bennet, but if you’re willing to part with him and a backup goalie I would do that. Understand if it’s still to early to give up on him as well though.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Yeah no thanks, don’t have any need for Stone. Not sure if the poster was an Avs fan or not, but I don’t think a good starter (when healthy) is worth a bottom pair dman who is getting over paid. I get Varly has injury worries, but even with those he averages 50-55 games with a mostly above 91.4 save percentage.

Not sure how you value Bennet, but if you’re willing to part with him and a backup goalie I would do that. Understand if it’s still to early to give up on him as well though.

If he was signed for longer I'd say that's pretty fair value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad