Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The deal I would make is:

Price at 8.5 million

For

2019 1st , 2020 2nd, Mike Smith, what ever cap dumps you desire.

He is exactly what the Flames need, you will love him, no reason he will not last as long as Luongo.
He can bring you guys a cup if you have offence to score.

Shake my hand?

As much as I love Price that is still an easy pass.

Flames can't afford him even at $8.5 million and we can't give up even more picks when we already have a shallow prospect pool and have given up so many picks.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would trade for Price if there is a reasonable deal. He should solve the Flames goalie problem for the next 5 yrs.

Not sure if there is a reasonable deal that make both teams happy though

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Price at 8.5 million

For

He is exactly what the Flames need, you will love him, no reason he will not last as long as Luongo.

Shake my hand?

Cap dump is Frolik to make the cap work for this season at least (with Smith and Fro Flames actually gain cap space).

Still though, I don't Flames can't fit him in with Tkachuk's raise the next season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Pickard hasn't been able to really to prove himself. I think "waiver wire reject" is a bit harsh.

It's not when Leafs fans are pushing this guy on the Flames like he is a solution to their problem. He is not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pickard hasn't been able to really to prove himself. I think "waiver wire reject" is a bit harsh.
He cleared waivers last year, he's been less than impressive for 2 years now. We already have similar options to Pickard, he literally makes zero sense for the Flames if anyone took even a second to put rational thought into the suggestion.

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
Bobrovsky is not coming to Calgary, he is a UFA and will likely demand north of $8 Million, I don't think the Flames can tie up that much in a goalie.

Currently they cannot, and not with Hanafin and Tkachuk needing contracts (in respective years). But we do have some people that could be trimmed from the roster that do open up cap space.

If you can find trade partners for Frolik and/or Stone in the season that already puts you in a decent space. Not considering what you would get back in return cap wise.

Next season you have Murphy's and Bouma's buyouts off the books. Kulak, Hathaway and Lazar are off their contracts, and although they'll be RFA's they could be waived or traded in season as well. Those contracts alone free up another ~3.6M. Prout's contract is gone and Smith's, there's another 5.25M. There is some wiggle room, but that doesn't leave much left over for upgrading guys like Jankowski, Bennett (depending on what happens), Valimaki, Andersson when the time comes.

It might take some wizardry, but it isn't impossible. I don't know what value Bob places on a cup compared to donuts. Could be he doesn't charge full price???? (optimistically)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Price at 8.5 million

For

Shake my hand?
I am coming back to this because it is actually a pretty reasonable proposal. But since our cap dumps are guys with actual value (Frolik & Stone), will be important depth players for us (both are regular PKers for us, Frolik especially is key) and you can get more for them when you flip them, I would want to make a couple slight changes because we'd need to replace them somewhat.

To Calgary:
- Carey Price ($8,500,000)
- Paul Byron ($1,166,667)
- Jordie Benn ($1,100,000)
To Montreal:
- 1st in 2019 (Flames can make it 2020 if we miss playoffs in 2018-19)
- 2nd in 2020
- Mike Smith ($4,250,000)
- Michael Frolik ($4,300,000) - you should be able to flip him for a 2nd
- Michael Stone ($3,500,000) - he does have a limited NTC, so a 3rd team may need to be involved here (would probably result in a 3rd in 2019 going to the Habs)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Carey Price is not on the decline, he just plays in front of a ****ty team and he also has a contract that a lot of teams can’t afford. Health wise I can’t say much but Montreal fans can fill in on that.
Based on quality/amount of shots Carey Price faced last year he had #8 highest expected sv%, right after Bishop who played behind defensive sound Dallas team. His actual sv% was lower, so he was in negatives, GSAA also negative, he allowed 25 more goals than average goalie would.Hhigh danger sv% was second worst, only Scott Darling is behind him. "Shitty team" exuse doesn't work with those stats. Say he had a down year because of injuries, personal reasons, this is more accurate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on quality/amount of shots Carey Price faced last year he had #8 highest expected sv%, right after Bishop who played behind defensive sound Dallas team. His actual sv% was lower, so he was in negatives, GSAA also negative, he allowed 25 more goals than average goalie would.Hhigh danger sv% was second worst, only Scott Darling is behind him. "****ty team" exuse doesn't work with those stats. Say he had a down year because of injuries, personal reasons, this is more accurate.
Can you explain to me how "expected" save percentage works, is it as f***ing terrible as how advance stats judge high quality scoring chances? My assumption is it is not entirely accurate due to the fact you can't judge a quality scoring chance solely on where the shot was taken.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Can you explain to me how "expected" save percentage works, is it as ****ing terrible as how advance stats judge high quality scoring chances? My assumption is it is not entirely accurate due to the fact you can't judge a quality scoring chance solely on where the shot was taken.

It's not only shot location. I will quote you InGoalmag is that ok?

"Corsica Hockey offers something more – an expected save percentage statistic that incorporates shot location, but also several other variables, such as whether the shot was a rebound, taken off the rush, an odd-man rush (separating breakaways, 2-on-1s), taken by a forward or defensemen, team strength (5-on-5, shorthanded) and so on."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's not only shot location. I will quote you InGoalmag is that ok?

"Corsica Hockey offers something more – an expected save percentage statistic that incorporates shot location, but also several other variables, such as whether the shot was a rebound, taken off the rush, an odd-man rush (separating breakaways, 2-on-1s), taken by a forward or defensemen, team strength (5-on-5, shorthanded) and so on."
So what you are saying is no one has any idea how it is actually calculated, but still take it as gospel.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So what you are saying is no one has any idea how it is actually calculated, but still take it as gospel.
Heat maps from hockeyviz confirms that too, Cam Talbot had one of the lowest expected sv% last year. And you don't even have to reach for adv stats. Antti Niemi played behind the same team last year.

mcek1t.jpg
2mpmoly.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat maps from hockeyviz confirms that too, Cam Talbot had one of the lowest expected sv% last year. And you don't even have to reach for adv stats. Antti Niemi played behind the same team last year.

mcek1t.jpg
2mpmoly.jpg
I bet you are one of those guys that post those stupid carts fro skaters too. You can't even explain how the stat is calculated but expect others to take it seriously. I'm sorry, but unless I know how a stat is calculated, it's about as valuable as a $3 bill

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I bet you are one of those guys that post those stupid carts fro skaters too. You can't even explain how the stat is calculated but expect others to take it seriously. I'm sorry, but unless I know how a stat is calculated, it's about as valuable as a $3 bill
So you have nothing to offer to disprove those stats so you go for personal attack. Have a nice day.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So you have nothing to offer to disprove those stats so you go for personal attack. Have a nice day.
How can someone disprove something when they don't know how they are formed? You're the one providing the stats, it's on you to prove they are legit, which you can't do. At least with garbage like Corsi, I know it's +/- for shots. And where was the personal attack? I literally attacked the stats.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
To me it sounds rather desperate for the Flames try to force a trade and find a saviour in goal. Just don't think there are any available. Wouldn't it be more prudent for the Flames to ride out Smith in his final year, and see if any of their other young goalies can be trusted to be NHL goalies long term.
Make an more analytical decision next spring/summer.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I am coming back to this because it is actually a pretty reasonable proposal. But since our cap dumps are guys with actual value (Frolik & Stone), will be important depth players for us (both are regular PKers for us, Frolik especially is key) and you can get more for them when you flip them, I would want to make a couple slight changes because we'd need to replace them somewhat.

To Calgary:
- Carey Price ($8,500,000)
- Paul Byron ($1,166,667)
- Jordie Benn ($1,100,000)
To Montreal:
- 1st in 2019 (Flames can make it 2020 if we miss playoffs in 2018-19)
- 2nd in 2020
- Mike Smith ($4,250,000)
- Michael Frolik ($4,300,000) - you should be able to flip him for a 2nd
- Michael Stone ($3,500,000) - he does have a limited NTC, so a 3rd team may need to be involved here (would probably result in a 3rd in 2019 going to the Habs)
Benn is garbage and handles the puck like a grenade, trust me you don’t want him. Byron is a great little player, fast as they come, if Frolik and Stone can truly fetch us a 2nd and a 3rd than we have a deal good sir.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Benn is garbage and handles the puck like a grenade, trust me you don’t want him. Byron is a great little player, fast as they come, if Frolik and Stone can truly fetch us a 2nd and a 3rd than we have a deal good sir.
My thoughts on the players adds were Byron can replace Frolik on the PK and be a guy that moves up and down the lineup depending on how healthy we are. Benn, is more insurance, a #7. If we move Stone, we have to run with a Kulak-Andersson third pairing, Benn as the #7 would still give us an NHL caliber defenseman on the 3rd pairing should something go wrong.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Just sign Steve Mason for free.
If he bounces back, he is fine #1b option in a tandem. If not, not much harm done.

How many times does Calgary need to do this before they realize they need a legit starter instead of some 1B tweener?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
My thoughts on the players adds were Byron can replace Frolik on the PK and be a guy that moves up and down the lineup depending on how healthy we are. Benn, is more insurance, a #7. If we move Stone, we have to run with a Kulak-Andersson third pairing, Benn as the #7 would still give us an NHL caliber defenseman on the 3rd pairing should something go wrong.
Honestly he isn’t good enough for the NHL but you could have him as your 7th sure.

So

Carey Price at 8.5 mil
Paul Byron
Jordie Benn

For

2019 1st
2020 2nd
Mike Smith
Mike Frolik
Mike Stone

Do we have an official deal here? All we need is a handshake.. *extends hand*

Reactions: TychoFan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How many times does Calgary need to do this before they realize they need a legit starter instead of some 1B tweener?
We have a legit starter. You know, the guy that was a f***ing all-star for us last year until he got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad