Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We cant afford Bobrovsky, and Pickard is pretty bad. I'll go with Varlamov from these 3, but none are that great.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Pickard played a full season with a terrible team and posted an above 900 save percentage. He was thrown to the wolves after two very successful backup seasons.

He has more potential than Rittich and is a safer bet to perform at a higher level.

No he doesn't

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now, before the season starts, I'd rather the Flames stick with the status quo. Unless Treliving can make a trade for a blue chip starting goalie (and right now I don't believe there are any available that would fit within our cap structure and wouldn't destroy our future because of who we'd have to give up in a trade) or a blue chip prospect that's currently playing backup but has strong potential to be a #1. I'd rather start the season with Smith as the #1 and Rittich as the backup with Gillies in the wings ready to step in if needed. To do otherwise is to put your faith in magic beans.

member 147413

And Pickard is also currently an AHL backup.
And Kadri is currently a 3rd line center.

Rittich had bad AHL and NHL numbers last season. He hasn’t shown any consistent play game by game and no signs of being nothing more than an emergency backup.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Rittich had bad AHL and NHL numbers last season. He hasn’t shown any consistent play game by game and no signs of being nothing more than an emergency backup.
Oh quit the hyperbole, exaggeration, and misleading statements.

member 147413

Oh quit the hyperbole, exaggeration, and misleading statements.
I don’t think Pickard will ever be anything more than a back-up, but in what world has Rittich shown he’s better or has more potential than Pickard?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don’t think Pickard will ever be anything more than a back-up, but in what world has Rittich shown he’s better or has more potential than Pickard?

He was lights out as a backup last season before Smith went down.
Not saying you'd know a thing about that though, hockeydb doesn't really explain that stuff.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As Volica said, "He was lights out last season before Smith went down".
As a backup last year to Smith (before Smith got hurt), which was his rookie year too, he had a GAA of 2.20 with a Save % of 0.927 and a record of 5-1-2.
In the 2016-17 season (31 GP) in the AHL he had a 2.27 GAA and a 0.924 Save %, but you probably ignored that on Hockeydb and conveniently cherry picked his 2017-2018 12 game record in the AHL to support your argument.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Reserve: Niklas Treutle, Timo Pielmeier
Give them another chance, they are the best what the DEL has to offer.
Both did great in the World cup and at the olympics.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You can take Lundqvist for free. Just convince him that he can do his fashion thing in Calgary.
If you were the NYR GM and I was the Flames GM, I'd DEFINITELY take you up on the offer!!

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
If you were the NYR GM and I was the Flames GM, I'd DEFINITELY take you up on the offer!!

I'd even drive Lundqvist there. It's not an issue with Hank himself. This team needs to strip it down to the core and get Jack Hughes and Hank might be the only thing that stops them because he's still actually a good goaltender.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I think Pickard might be a small upgrade on Rittich, but it's definitely not worth giving up anything for. I'm not even sure it's worth making a waiver claim for. The Flames would need to make a bigger move if they really want to upgrade the position.

member 147413

He was lights out as a backup last season before Smith went down.
Not saying you'd know a thing about that though, hockeydb doesn't really explain that stuff.
Pickard was lights out as a backup too.

member 147413

As Volica said, "He was lights out last season before Smith went down".
As a backup last year to Smith (before Smith got hurt), which was his rookie year too, he had a GAA of 2.20 with a Save % of 0.927 and a record of 5-1-2.
In the 2016-17 season (31 GP) in the AHL he had a 2.27 GAA and a 0.924 Save %, but you probably ignored that on Hockeydb and conveniently cherry picked his 2017-2018 12 game record in the AHL to support your argument.
8 game sample sizes are so much more convincing than 12, you’re right.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
You're probably right about that proposal not being an ideal return for Stone. But I should have clarified that the pick would be in the 2nd-3rd round range with Pickard being in the deal to give the Flames more options for next season. But hey, I'm not that great when it comes to proposals.
Would you offer the same for Kulikov? Pritchard & a 2nd?
More a cap thing than Pickard being that desirable.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
8 game sample sizes are so much more convincing than 12, you’re right.
I assume the 12 games you are referring to are the 12 games Rittich played in the AHL in 2017-2018. The problem with your argument is that Rittich's AHL sample is actually 43 games (31 + 12) and the 8 game sample is a NHL sample as a backup goalie, before being thrown to the wolves after Smith got hurt and being forced into the #1 role which he obviously wasn't ready to assume. Rittich faltered when forced into the #1 role after Smith went down but that's not completely unexpected as a NHL rookie playing for a team that was fighting for a playoff spot, was battling key injuries at the same time, and had a coach that had implemented a system that was difficult to play at the best of times. The pressure that Rittich was experiencing, after Feb 12, must have been overwhelming.
Carry on. Keep trying to convince me that Pickard is an upgrade over Rittich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad