Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly he isn’t good enough for the NHL but you could have him as your 7th sure.

So

Carey Price at 8.5 mil
Paul Byron
Jordie Benn

For

2019 1st
2020 2nd
Mike Smith
Mike Frolik
Mike Stone

Do we have an official deal here? All we need is a handshake.. *extends hand*
I'm down.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
To me it sounds rather desperate for the Flames try to force a trade and find a saviour in goal. Just don't think there are any available. Wouldn't it be more prudent for the Flames to ride out Smith in his final year, and see if any of their other young goalies can be trusted to be NHL goalies long term.
Make an more analytical decision next spring/summer.

Seems like that's what they're doing. Kicking tires on guys they like but not searching in desperation

Reactions: Rockmorton

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
We have a legit starter. You know, the guy that was a ****ing all-star for us last year until he got injured.

Smith is 36 and has been suffering from injuries in the last few years. How long are you projecting him to hold up? My point is, they can't just keep rolling with band aids like they've been doing ever since Kipper retired.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the insight When I was reading some of the posts, I though the Flames were "going all in" for a goalie this year.

Some definitely seem to have taken it that way. To me it definitely looks to me like they're looking for a guy to take over after Smith if one of their prospects don't look quite ready. Not to make a deal right his second but kicking tires on future options.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith is 36 and has been suffering from injuries in the last few years. How long are you projecting him to hold up? My point is, they can't just keep rolling with band aids like they've been doing ever since Kipper retired.
Of course they have to find someone to replace Smith, but I am not worried this year and I'm not worried next year if he signs an extension. Treliving has been in on plenty of goalies and will get one eventually.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don’t think it’s easy to win Vezinas, he has 1 and has been a finalist for others, he could still win more, I don’t understand what you are disputing here. Is he worth 10.5 million? No. Is he worth 8.5? Yes, to many teams he would be.

My argument is more of a disagreement based more on how I feel than the facts; I don't agree he's worth 8.5. As it stands, I believe he's worth around 5-7m max over the course of his current contract. With EIGHT years left on his contract (including this upcoming year) at 10.5, the only way I can forsee them moving him is if they retained 50% and that's 42 Million Dollars the Habs are eating. To make it worse, if Price regresses (I don't see it happening but netminders are funny, bi-polar-like creatures), that instantly becomes a bad contract @ 5m a year for EIGHT years. No one's taking Price at 25% retained. If Price's main objective was to win a Cup or three, he absolutely screwed himself over by signing that contract.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Smith is the first legit starter the Flames have had since Kip. Unlike many on here, I think the Flames have their solution, if not two potential solutions, within the organization. I'd extend Smith as a stopgap at worst to give the kids a chance to settle in and take the reins.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Smith is the first legit starter the Flames have had since Kip. Unlike many on here, I think the Flames have their solution, if not two potential solutions, within the organization. I'd extend Smith as a stopgap at worst to give the kids a chance to settle in and take the reins.

This is what many in here are failing to see. Calgary's goalie prospects are just as good as guys like Pickard. Calgary let out the rumour that they are looking for a goalie to kick the tires on higher end potential starters. They aren't desperate for anything. They most certainly are not trading guys like Tkachuk or Gaudreau for a goalie.

Reactions: CF84 and GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This is what many in here are failing to see. Calgary's goalie prospects are just as good as guys like Pickard. Calgary let out the rumour that they are looking for a goalie to kick the tires on higher end potential starters. They aren't desperate for anything. They most certainly are not trading guys like Tkachuk or Gaudreau for a goalie.

Facts

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, exactly.

Preach brother, preach

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Based on quality/amount of shots Carey Price faced last year he had #8 highest expected sv%, right after Bishop who played behind defensive sound Dallas team. His actual sv% was lower, so he was in negatives, GSAA also negative, he allowed 25 more goals than average goalie would.Hhigh danger sv% was second worst, only Scott Darling is behind him. "****ty team" exuse doesn't work with those stats. Say he had a down year because of injuries, personal reasons, this is more accurate.

Every good player will have a down year but I don't think Carey Price is on the decline, he is going to waste his career in Montreal though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad