Player Discussion Calen Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For 2 years they've been pointing him to watch Spurgeon.
This was supposed to be his "motivated year" due to lack of getting into games last year. The spot was his out of camp and he literally played himself out of it, and now a better d-man has already come up behind and far surpassed him.

Time to cut bait before we can't even give him away.
He's still very young, though, and has a skillset that we need. Also inexpensive, another thing we need. It doesn't make any sense to me to toss him away so soon. We've got plenty of D help coming (hopefully) in the next 2-4 years, but they aren't here yet, AND, the ones coming up soonest are more of the defensive variety. With just a bit of improvement. Addison can be sheltered on the 3rd pairing while running the PP, where he is an asset.

I don't think Klingberg is a long term, or even a short term solution. He is similar flaws to Addison, and i doubt that he will sign for anything like the amount Addison will. With our cap situation, we can't afford it, nor should we want to.... Klingberg scares the crap out of me defensively, also. Very reckless.

Reactions: 63firebird

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
He's still very young, though, and has a skillset that we need. Also inexpensive, another thing we need. It doesn't make any sense to me to toss him away so soon. We've got plenty of D help coming (hopefully) in the next 2-4 years, but they aren't here yet, AND, the ones coming up soonest are more of the defensive variety. With just a bit of improvement. Addison can be sheltered on the 3rd pairing while running the PP, where he is an asset.

I don't think Klingberg is a long term, or even a short term solution. He is similar flaws to Addison, and i doubt that he will sign for anything like the amount Addison will. With our cap situation, we can't afford it, nor should we want to.... Klingberg scares the crap out of me defensively, also. Very reckless.
Agree with all this

Reactions: 63firebird

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
Maybe I've missed it, but when did/does he go to arbitration? Coming off his ELC that had around $900,000 cap hit and with the team (this year) at only $1.6M in cap space of this thread, does he walk?

If so, who fills in the spot for him? Per CapFriendly, we only have 6 D signed to the MN squad.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe I've missed it, but when did/does he go to arbitration? Coming off his ELC that had around $900,000 cap hit and with the team (this year) at only $1.6M in cap space of this thread, does he walk?

If so, who fills in the spot for him? Per CapFriendly, we only have 6 D signed to the MN squad.
Well, he doesn't have arbitration rights, so his only option is to hold out, which, in his position, wouldn't be wise. That would just give others the chance to take his spot, while he sits at home losing practice time, money, and the regard of his coach/GM.

I think that Dean/BG have hopes for him going forward if he can get better at a few things, or he would've been moved before the draft.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think they want a cap cushion so they're holding him to his QO or nothing. If he holds out, Goligoski plays and they call up Mermis.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm wondering how much of an option the KHL is for Addison?

Never say never, but I'm not even sure why he'd consider it an option unless his goal was to just not play for this organization anymore ASAP.

-The money won't be any better
-He has no ties to Russia as far as I know
-He'll still have to go through Minnesota if he wants to come back (but presumably Guerin would just trade him like he did with Menell)

He's an NHL player and he should get an NHL contract at some point before October. Might be something he keeps in his back pocket though if he holds out and Guerin doesn't work with him before December 1.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Never say never, but I'm not even sure why he'd consider it an option unless his goal was to just not play for this organization anymore ASAP.

-The money won't be any better
-He has no ties to Russia as far as I know
-He'll still have to go through Minnesota if he wants to come back (but presumably Guerin would just trade him like he did with Menell)

He's an NHL player and he should get an NHL contract at some point before October. Might be something he keeps in his back pocket though if he holds out and Guerin doesn't work with him before December 1.

That's just it. He might do it just to get away from the GM/coach. I don't even think Addison would wait until Dec 1. It would be a preseason thing.

I think Addison could force a trade just by saying that he was going to the KHL. I mean would GMBG really want Addison talking to Marat K or Yurov about his time with the Wild?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's just it. He might do it just to get away from the GM/coach. I don't even think Addison would wait until Dec 1. It would be a preseason thing.

I think Addison could force a trade just by saying that he was going to the KHL. I mean would GMBG really want Addison talking to Marat K or Yurov about his time with the Wild?

I'd like to believe we're not quite there yet. I think this season is gonna be the make or break year for that.

I also feel like Bill Guerin isn't the kind of guy to worry about those kinds of things. I think Guerin believes he's 100% correct in the way he does things. I would guess from Guerin's POV, if Addison has a problem with the way he's been handled/treated here, that would be an Addison problem, not a Guerin problem. The alternative I guess is that Guerin being worried about Addison speaking to those guys means Guerin knows he's doing something wrong, and he should probably change that.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Should’ve moved him at the deadline. He had some decent #s the first half of the season and I think you can get something back. He’s a better fit elsewhere IMO - hard to hide him when you a 5’9 RHD ahead of him on the depth chart. Blueline becomes too small and easy to play against.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is an excellent defender...who cares how big he is if he gets the job done?

Addison going to the KHL makes absolutely no sense for him, and what's more, wouldn't force them to do anything, as MN would still own his NHL rights.

The fact that Addison wasn't traded means that they still see a spot for him on the team, likely as a 3rd pairing/PP Dman. All that's going on now is that Addison is trying to get as much $$ as possible on his next contract, while BG is trying to pay him as little as possible. Since Addison has no arbitration rights, he pretty well has to take what is offered, or sit out, which means sitting at home with no pay. It smells like a situation where both sides have dug in their heels, probably over less than 500K. Maybe a low rent version of the Fiala situation circa the summer of 2021? Not sure that it will end well, but I sure think that it would be in the best interests of both parties to compromise and get him into camp on time. I would far rather have Addison than a 2nd, which is what he is probably worth on the trade market.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Should've moved him? Maybe there are no buyers...

Addison's stats as a defenseman aren't exactly good, and his lack of size doesn't help either. Then you have this possible attitude problem, Russo mentioned that he ran his mouth towards the coaching staff when he was a healthy scratch. Not a path for success. Maybe he just isn't a legit NHL player.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Spurgeon is an excellent defender...who cares how big he is if he gets the job done?
Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Merrill / Goligoski / Addison

There is one guy there with any physicality. If you’re top two defenders don’t play the body, you are going to need depth guys who can pick up the slack. Maybe can get away with it during the regular season but that blueline gets exposed in the playoffs quickly

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Merrill / Goligoski / Addison

There is one guy there with any physicality. If you’re top two defenders don’t play the body, you are going to need depth guys who can pick up the slack. Maybe can get away with it during the regular season but that blueline gets exposed in the playoffs quickly
That's fine, there's nothing they can really do about it and I'm actually hoping they miss the playoffs entirely this year. This will probably be their worst year for the next few seasons, so they'd might as well get a decent draft position out of it.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
That's fine, there's nothing they can really do about it and I'm actually hoping they miss the playoffs entirely this year. This will probably be their worst year for the next few seasons, so they'd might as well get a decent draft position out of it.

Wild missing the playoffs would be good for our future, but I can't see it happening with how weak Central is.

Avs and Dallas are probably locks, but I don't see which 1 to 3 other Central teams would finish with more points than Wild.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Worst year? D will be fine. They need to finally put Ek between Kap and Zucc, that's a dangerous top line. They need to stop thinking that Ek must play on the 2nd line to help Boldy. But with a price tag of 7M+ Boldy should be able to drive his line...

Or Boldy as 1RW, and let Zucc take care of the kids. If that's okay with Kap, I'd like to see him play with others anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: MNRube

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wild missing the playoffs would be good for our future, but I can't see it happening with how weak Central is.

Avs and Dallas are probably locks, but I don't see which 1 to 3 other Central teams would finish with more points than Wild.

CHI is the only team I can see for sure finishing with less points than MN.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I could see Wild finishing 4th in the division and Pacific taking both wild card spots.

Without too much going wrong I can see MN falling to 6th in the Division. Really all it takes is Gus playing as a NHL average goalie, Rossi struggling, and Faber being a normal rookie. The compacted schedule due to the Sweden trip will cost them some standings points too.

I do think the yearly Brodin/Spurgeon injuries that cost them a combined 20+ games is really going to hurt this season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Funny how the math works. Wild have $1.643M in cap space right now. If they wanted to leave enough room to call up Walker and his $855k cap hit (if necessary), then that means that they can only give Addison $788k. His qualifying offer is $787,500.

Reactions: Slotski

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Is he gonna sign before training camp?

I could see Guerin just leaving it at the qualifying offer. If he doesn’t sign, they’ll just play Merrill-Goligoski or call someone up. Addison has zero leverage at the current moment.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is he gonna sign before training camp?

I could see Guerin just leaving it at the qualifying offer. If he doesn’t sign, they’ll just play Merrill-Goligoski or call someone up. Addison has zero leverage at the current moment.
He could leave it up to the last moment before the season starts, but that would be cutting off his nose to spite his face. His best move would be to sign for one year, go to camp on time, have a good year, then revisit this next year when he has more leverage.

Maybe they are fighting over term, and BG wants to sign him for an extra year? Otherwise, holding out makes no sense to me, from Addison's POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia