Player Discussion Calen Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Both Dumba and the Wild need to move on from each other. There's nothing left in that tank. Wild don't need to be hanging on to a guy like him moving forward when he doesn't fit anymore, and Dumba might do better in a new system with new scenery. Give those D spots to Faber and Addison and use the money on offense.
I'm ready to see Addison punted myself.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
No way. Addison is x10 more responsible with the puck than Klingberg. Addison is just small and gets bullied in the d zone.
Having watched Fabers attention to detail when defending really exposed addisons lack of effort there. I’m not saying I’d prefer Klingberg over Addison but they are sort of redundant after seeing how many mistakes Klingberg makes in our own end.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Only two guys on this blue line that you want on the PP are Klingberg and Addison. The rest of the defensemen are moot. Of those two, I take Addison 10 times out of 9 all things considered.

Unless we want to jettison both and put Spurgeon back on the top PP unit and....Goligoski? Merrill? On the second unit? But I don't see the value in doing that, and I don't see the point in trading Addison after they tanked his value the last stretch of the year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Only two guys on this blue line that you want on the PP are Klingberg and Addison. The rest of the defensemen are moot. Of those two, I take Addison 10 times out of 9 all things considered.

Unless we want to jettison both and put Spurgeon back on the top PP unit and....Goligoski? Merrill? On the second unit? But I don't see the value in doing that, and I don't see the point in trading Addison after they tanked his value the last stretch of the year.
Agreed. I think they'd listen if someone called, but otherwise I think they just plan to squeeze him hard on a 1-2 year deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I agree with you on the PP. I like Addison's quick decisions, and the way he gets his shot off quickly. Also think there is less ego in his game. Klingberg is more talented, but he plays like he is always trying to prove it, which gets him in trouble.

Also think that Addison would be much cheaper to re-sign than Klingberg, and because he is so much younger, has more likelihood of improving than Klingberg.

Both are an adventure in their own end... I think Addison makes better decisions about pinching, but Klingberg has the better length and skating which helps him defend.

Having said all that, I don't think that Dean-a-Bill like Addison, and are going to move him. Getting freeze out vibes from them even more than i did with Fiala.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd like to so Addison convert into a forward. Hes got the talent for it.
Way harder transition than you can imagine. There's a reason almost no one does it, especially in their 20's

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Way harder transition than you can imagine. There's a reason almost no one does it, especially in their 20's
Players with great skill AND hockey IQ can do it... not sure Addison has that IQ.

Fedorov playing elite center, then after a severe rash of blueline injuries... moving back and playing elite D is extremely rare!

Just like Burns playing elite D, elite wing and back again.

Most "failed defenseman" don't become wingers and suddenly become impact players.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I agree it may be difficult but if his defense is severely lacking putting him as a 3rw and letting him qb the power play could prove to be efficient. He has good vision and smarts and the wing position suits his size more in the defensive zone. I’d attempt that before waiving him.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I agree it may be difficult but if his defense is severely lacking putting him as a 3rw and letting him qb the power play could prove to be efficient. He has good vision and smarts and the wing position suits his size more in the defensive zone. I’d attempt that before waiving him.
Just so we're all on the same page, he likely wouldn't be waived but rather traded.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Just so we're all on the same page, he likely wouldn't be waived but rather traded.
There is speculation of a trade at the draft but I’d consider a low pick for him similar to waiving him. He has clear talent and is young I wouldn’t take less than a 2nd for him even with defensive warts.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison would not be a NHL level forward. Would be behind a whole host of other wings as a forward prospect, also. There are a whole raft of skills that forwards work on every day, that Dmen don't. To just expect him to pick them up, and adjust how he processes and reacts to the game, is asking too much of him.

Far better than he really works on just being competent (not great) defensively as a Dmen. If he can, he'll be a NHL'er for a long time, with his offensive upside.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Addison would not be a NHL level forward. Would be behind a whole host of other wings as a forward prospect, also. There are a whole raft of skills that forwards work on every day, that Dmen don't. To just expect him to pick them up, and adjust how he processes and reacts to the game, is asking too much of him.

Far better than he really works on just being competent (not great) defensively as a Dmen. If he can, he'll be a NHL'er for a long time, with his offensive upside.
I don’t think he is missing skills as a forward, he would just have to adapt to positioning change.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Players with great skill AND hockey IQ can do it... not sure Addison has that IQ.

Fedorov playing elite center, then after a severe rash of blueline injuries... moving back and playing elite D is extremely rare!

Just like Burns playing elite D, elite wing and back again.

Most "failed defenseman" don't become wingers and suddenly become impact players.
Bfuglyien, too.

Just realized that this is a Faber thread...

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don’t think he is missing skills as a forward, he would just have to adapt to positioning change.
As someone that played defense pretty much my entire life; it was hard enough, I wouldn't even say successful, when they tried to transition me to forward in high school.

While Addison clearly has more talent than I, it was also a transition at a lower stage so...

EDIT: I'm not saying the couldn't/shouldn't try it, I'm just not expecting it to work out all that well.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
As someone that played defense pretty much my entire life; it was hard enough, I wouldn't even say successful, when they tried to transition me to forward in high school.

While Addison clearly has more talent than I, it was also a transition at a lower stage so...

EDIT: I'm not saying the couldn't/shouldn't try it, I'm just not expecting it to work out all that well.
I played both during high school, again at a lower level and I don’t see it being a huge transition skills wise but positioning can be a hard adjustment. Iv always somewhat preached being a 5 man unit in the offensive zone rather than forwards and defense so that shouldn’t be a tough change just switching to coming off the half wall instead of grabbing a puck in the corner can be harder as you’re not used to it and the timing and space is an adjustment.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Addison makes almost no physical contact, and refuses to battle for the puck, His defensive stickwork is extremely lacklustre to boot, unless he makes significant changes to his game, or we get a different coach, he is not going to be someone that they ever rely on. Just like Pitlick, he probably has NHL level talents, but he sure sticks out like a sore thumb in the Wild's system and probably would do "better" somewhere else. Now an off season to focus, improve conditioning, and come in motivated to earn a spot could go a long way, but it just feels like he hasn't bought in like the rest of the team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison makes almost no physical contact, and refuses to battle for the puck, His defensive stickwork is extremely lacklustre to boot, unless he makes significant changes to his game, or we get a different coach, he is not going to be someone that they ever rely on. Just like Pitlick, he probably has NHL level talents, but he sure sticks out like a sore thumb in the Wild's system and probably would do "better" somewhere else. Now an off season to focus, improve conditioning, and come in motivated to earn a spot could go a long way, but it just feels like he hasn't bought in like the rest of the team.
Yup, you’ve nailed it. It’s not that he makes bad decisions, like Klingberg. Just a lack of compete when he plays D. He is still young, and not a lost cause, but as a coach, I would want to see him glued to Spurgeon’s every word, and watching his tapes obsessively. Highlights what a freak Spurge is.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yup, you’ve nailed it. It’s not that he makes bad decisions, like Klingberg. Just a lack of compete when he plays D. He is still young, and not a lost cause, but as a coach, I would want to see him glued to Spurgeon’s every word, and watching his tapes obsessively. Highlights what a freak Spurge is.
For 2 years they've been pointing him to watch Spurgeon.
This was supposed to be his "motivated year" due to lack of getting into games last year. The spot was his out of camp and he literally played himself out of it, and now a better d-man has already come up behind and far surpassed him.

Time to cut bait before we can't even give him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad