Player Discussion Calen Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think people are generally mad that Addison didn't get paid more, I think they're mad because there's a growing trend of Guerin willing to overpay veterans and gritty bottom sixers that he likes who don't really bring much while simultaneously nickel and diming/hardballing (and sometimes trading) younger, skilled, offensively inclined players who are actually fun to watch.
There's certainly truth to that, I don't love that he's willing to overpay grinders for their personalities, but I think there's also truth to Addison not being worth much more than he got paid. His offense didn't translate to 5v5, he didn't put in much effort defensively, and if he did put in the effort he's even more damned, because that would mean he was just outright bad defensively. He's in the NHL because of his skill on the power play, but they're only on the power play so much of the time. If he can't contribute positively to normal shifts, he's not going to get paid like he can.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's certainly truth to that, I don't love that he's willing to overpay grinders for their personalities, but I think there's also truth to Addison not being worth much more than he got paid. His offense didn't translate to 5v5, he didn't put in much effort defensively, and if he did put in the effort he's even more damned, because that would mean he was just outright bad defensively. He's in the NHL because of his skill on the power play, but they're only on the power play so much of the time. If he can't contribute positively to normal shifts, he's not going to get paid like he can.
In a vacuum, he’s worth more than he got. But in this situation, it just was what it was.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Any other team without zero cap space and he probably gets 1-1.2, but I'm really not trying to split hairs over Addison specifically, just calling out that I don't think the people who are upset here are upset about Addison's contract, there's more to it than that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think people are generally mad that Addison didn't get paid more, I think they're mad because there's a growing trend of Guerin willing to overpay veterans and gritty bottom sixers that he likes who don't really bring much while simultaneously nickel and diming/hardballing (and sometimes trading) younger, skilled, offensively inclined players who are actually fun to watch.
Are these veterans really “overpaid” or are they only “overpaid” because we have $15M in dead cap? When I think about it, most of our contracts are only griped upon because of our dead cap situation. $2M for Goligoski and $3.5M for Fleury are not bad deals for teams with full cap spending capabilities. Who else is viewed as a bad contract?

I don’t agree that Guerin nickel and dimes or plays hardball with all the good young skilled players. He was willing to give Kaprizov the fattest contract in modern Wild history (with 8 year contract limits). He signed Boldy to a huge contract. He locked Eriksson Ek in at a great rate that both sides seemed happy with. He signed Greenway to a deal that he *should have* been able to outperform with any sort of focus. He signed Gustavsson to a nice deal that wasn’t too rich, but also gave a little to a guy who performed great.

The only one who was truly nickel and dimed and played hardball with was Fiala. I still question if we would have been able to fit his current contract in. We would have had to nickel and dime Boldy then lol, so there’s a little bit of a give and take.

Addison’s non-power play performance left a lot to be desired. He probably should have gotten $1M-1.5M for 2-3 years. But think of it this way, if he goes out and performs well, he will potentially make more than he would have anyway. Especially with the cap going up.

3 years x 1.5M = $4.5M

(1 year x .825) + (2 years x $2.5M) = $5.825

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Dumba didn’t get screwed, he was going to be too expensive for this team. Addison got what was left so idk what you’re complaining about. Fiala we can go in circles about but I do agree on him at least.
Dumba got screwed , Guerin spent his money on scrubs

• Haha
Reactions: ctmagic

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Dumba got screwed , Guerin spent his money on scrubs
That didn’t screw Dumba. His peck injury screwed him, not coming back to his full ability and Faber being able to play NHL minutes plus our dead cap made it far too smart of a move not to resign him.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i take it none of you have ever been screwed over on your jobs so you just don't get it. calen i hope you have a great year then follow fiala and demand a trade. fyi kaprizov is watching.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
i take it none of you have ever been screwed over on your jobs so you just don't get it. calen i hope you have a great year then follow fiala and demand a trade. fyi kaprizov is watching.
What do you think Bill Guerin should have been obligated to do on, let's say September 10th, to make room to pay Addison an amount that wasn't "screwing him over"?

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Kaprisov is watching what?

Billy should offer every player a max contract. That way, no player is getting screwed over.

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think everyone has gotten an unfair shake at one time or another. It sucks that he's slightly underpaid, but you take the best you can get and do even better next time so you don't get the leftovers again. That's life, sometimes.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Still waiting to hear what should have been done to "not screw him over"

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Prove it deals aren't rare and don't fall out of the sky either. His Coach pretty much roasted his game to the whole world in the press so I can only imagine what his end of the season review with Evason was like. He might be shocked to even be back with the team.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hope the Wild suck this year, draft 1st overall, and pick the next Diagle.
talladega-nights-lucius-washington.gif

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's probably on his way out of here either way. And we've got 9-10 roster spots to fill with 24M in cap space. I think there are better uses of it than signing Addison long term.
I don’t know. I think signing great players to long-term deals is something that we should be in favor of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad