Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm not a fan of 20 year olds playing against 16-19 year olds mostly. So I'd rather see him in the AHL working with Bouchard on his defensive game but we'll see what happens.
Yeah and worst case, he could also play big minutes in the ECHL. I think it's better scenario than the CHL for another year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You have indirectly called me ridiculous and asinine only to agree, or “prefer”, that my enthusiasm was correct? I’ll take hyperbole over hypocrisy any day of the week and twice on Tuesday...
Reading comprehension clearly is not a strength for you. Did I agree with you that he was dominant? The answer is no.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I could see Fleury being called up in the nhl after Benn and Schlemko are traded at the tdl

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see Fleury being called up in the nhl after Benn and Schlemko are traded at the tdl

depends on how he adjusts to the AHL. I hate to see us rushing prospects, would rather they take their time with them, especially defensemen. He's clearly got some interesting tools but needs a good bit of work on his defensive play. Let him learn and improve, gain confidence and when he starts dominating the AHL then start to think about calling him up later on.

Reactions: cphabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Unless he truly forces their hand, I'd keep Fleury in AHL all year. The reason? Because of his late birthday, if he stays in AHL, his ELC slides. Meaning the Habs can get 4 pro seasons out of a 3-year contract. Same as they got out of Lernout and Scherbak.

If Benn and/or Schlemko are moved, then I'd bring Lernout up instead of Fleury.

Reactions: Deebs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unless he truly forces their hand, I'd keep Fleury in AHL all year. The reason? Because of his late birthday, if he stays in AHL, his ELC slides. Meaning the Habs can get 4 pro seasons out of a 3-year contract. Same as they got out of Lernout and Scherbak.

Agreed. Plus he needs to work hard on his game before he turns NHL. Make him focus on his positioning and his offensive game and we might see him become a top four D.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Agreed, there is really no reason to rush him up
If Lefebvre was still around maybe, but with Bouchard now I'd leave him in Laval all season as well

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know what's the deal. But he was hurt at the Rookie Showdown. Remember he didn't take part in the first game against Ottawa and Bouchard had said that he's hurt and wasn't able to pbe practice either. He ended up playing the game against Toronto and took part in the intra-squad scrimmage. But he may still be hurt. No word though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Says who??

Mooseheads have one 20 year old I would love back for our Memorial cup year (Somppi). We are loaded with talent but having him back would be sick cause he is a matured top center in the Q. However, I think Tampa will have him play AHL this year. It's a similar situation to Fleury but the difference is Halfiax is hosting the memorial cup. If Tampa don't value this, then the Habs should have Fleury in the AHL as well.

However, there are other factors at play like AHL roster spots and how much these kids will play too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Any new info on where Fleury plays this year?

Nothing new. He still remains unsigned.

The latest is that he was cut from the Habs camp but sent to the Laval Rocket camp.

Here is the positive I get out of this: the fact he was sent to Laval and not back to Junior means that the Habs are still exploring the possibility of signing him to his ELC and having him play in Laval. Had he been sent back to Junior (as he's still eligible to go back), then he wouldn't be able to play in Laval. They could still have signed him even if he went back to Regina. But it would be a wasted opportunity.

Being a late birthday, the Habs can take advantage of a loophole that will allow him to play in Laval and still have his contract slide. That means they can get 4 years of pro hockey out of Fleury on a 3-year ELC. They did the same with Scherbak and Lernout.

So although he still isn't signed, the fact he went to the Laval camp instead of back to Junior is actually a positive thing.

JuicyJofa

Done with basing my usernames on players
Jan 27, 2010
Around the World
Could Fleury sign a AHL two-way deal with Laval (AHL/ECHL) ?

It could be good for both sides, give an extra year for the Habs to evaluate him, and gives him playing time in the appropriate leagues.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Could Fleury sign a AHL two-way deal with Laval (AHL/ECHL) ?

It could be good for both sides, give an extra year for the Habs to evaluate him, and gives him playing time in the appropriate leagues.

They could sign him to an NHL ELC and he can still play in Laval and also in the ECHL. Signing him to an AHL deal a year after drafting him would be one very odd decision. And one that would show that a recently drafted player isn't someone they have a lot of faith in.

Reactions: Jokerniemi

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nothing new. He still remains unsigned.

The latest is that he was cut from the Habs camp but sent to the Laval Rocket camp.

Here is the positive I get out of this: the fact he was sent to Laval and not back to Junior means that the Habs are still exploring the possibility of signing him to his ELC and having him play in Laval. Had he been sent back to Junior (as he's still eligible to go back), then he wouldn't be able to play in Laval. They could still have signed him even if he went back to Regina. But it would be a wasted opportunity.

Being a late birthday, the Habs can take advantage of a loophole that will allow him to play in Laval and still have his contract slide. That means they can get 4 years of pro hockey out of Fleury on a 3-year ELC. They did the same with Scherbak and Lernout.

So although he still isn't signed, the fact he went to the Laval camp instead of back to Junior is actually a positive thing.
With so many D already in camp I can see Fleury sent back to the WHL which might be better. Playing 25 minutes a night instead of getting the Simon Bourque treatment

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With so many D already in camp I can see Fleury sent back to the WHL which might be better. Playing 25 minutes a night instead of getting the Simon Bourque treatment

I would think that despite not having an official ECHL affiliate, the Habs will be more open to sending their prospects down there this season than they did last year to Brampton.

Some players ended up starting in Brampton but were called up and stayed in Laval. Fucale was the only one who was going down at some point and they even put a stop to that, preferring keeping three goalies in Laval.

I don't know for sure, but I read somewhere that Montreal brass were not satisfied with how Brampton was developing their players and decided not to renew the affiliation. With Bouchard and Briere being open about having a working relationship, I can see Montreal using the ECHL a lot more this year, even if some players will end up on different teams. This is why I think they never sent Bourque to Brampton. The other players that were in Brampton were AHL contracts, but Bourque was on an ELC, which maybe made Montreal choose not to send him there. McNiven started there and as soon as he was called up to Laval, they never sent him back. And for Fucale being on an ELC and still being sent to Brampton, I think the organization had already "thrown in the towel" in his case.

This is why I think that Fleury, even if he's not in Laval because of some logjam, then he can start in Maine instead.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would think that despite not having an official ECHL affiliate, the Habs will be more open to sending their prospects down there this season than they did last year to Brampton.

Some players ended up starting in Brampton but were called up and stayed in Laval. Fucale was the only one who was going down at some point and they even put a stop to that, preferring keeping three goalies in Laval.

I don't know for sure, but I read somewhere that Montreal brass were not satisfied with how Brampton was developing their players and decided not to renew the affiliation. With Bouchard and Briere being open about having a working relationship, I can see Montreal using the ECHL a lot more this year, even if some players will end up on different teams. This is why I think they never sent Bourque to Brampton. The other players that were in Brampton were AHL contracts, but Bourque was on an ELC, which maybe made Montreal choose not to send him there. McNiven started there and as soon as he was called up to Laval, they never sent him back. And for Fucale being on an ELC and still being sent to Brampton, I think the organization had already "thrown in the towel" in his case.

This is why I think that Fleury, even if he's not in Laval because of some logjam, then he can start in Maine instead.

Still surprised they have not signed him yet though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Still surprised they have not signed him yet though.

Two reasons I can think of:

1- he's probably not 100% healthy. Remember he only took part in one of the two Rookie Showdown games and Bouchard had confirmed that he didn't play the first one because he had a nagging injury.

2- they want to see how he'll do at the Laval camp before they commit another contract to their 50 limit. Because if he plays in Laval, his contract counts.

And at the same time, see how things shape out in the main camp before they decide who in the Habs camp is sent to Laval and who they may end up shipping out.

I'm with you. I wonder why he isn't signed yet. But I'm still hopeful because he's the only player that was sent to Laval without any kind of contract. So they're still evaluating him for the pro level and sending him back to Junior would be the last option they're looking at.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Two reasons I can think of:

1- he's probably not 100% healthy. Remember he only took part in one of the two Rookie Showdown games and Bouchard had confirmed that he didn't play the first one because he had a nagging injury.

2- they want to see how he'll do at the Laval camp before they commit another contract to their 50 limit. Because if he plays in Laval, his contract counts.

And at the same time, see how things shape out in the main camp before they decide who in the Habs camp is sent to Laval and who they may end up shipping out.

I'm with you. I wonder why he isn't signed yet. But I'm still hopeful because he's the only player that was sent to Laval without any kind of contract. So they're still evaluating him for the pro level and sending him back to Junior would be the last option they're looking at.

Actually, that's false. Similarly to Scherbak in 2015-2016, Fleury's contract would slide if he signed am ELC right now because he'd start the season as a 19 year old (turns 20 in November). Because he'd be 19 years old to start the season, the contract would slide to next year ( as long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games). He would, however, lose a year of waiver exemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Actually, that's false. Similarly to Scherbak in 2015-2016, Fleury's contract would slide if he signed am ELC right now because he'd start the season as a 19 year old (turns 19 in November). Because he'd be 19 years old to start the season, the contract would slide to next year ( as long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games). He would, however, lose a year of waiver exemption.

Fleury turns 20 in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad