Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ah K. Don't know much about him.

Just looked at the contract. He got the max 925k ELC. Isn't this rare for a pick outside of the 1st or 2nd round?

Wait a bit until CapFriendly confirms all the details. They always intially post the max ELC when they list a new signing. They did the same with Brook and Teasdale. Once they get more info, they update it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And while Juulsen can deliver some big hits, Fleury can crush guys.

Mete, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury, Romanov. We got options. And having reliable guys that play solid D but can also move the puck is exactly what Price needs in front of him.

Competition on the right side of our D will be tough. Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. It would be smart to move Petry if Weber comes back healthy and Juulsen continues to impress. Hard to gauge Petry's trade value but I'm sure there would be interest. The return should be solid

It should be interesting to see what kind of year we have and what moves we make or don't make at the 2019 deadline!

Reactions: 417

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Great news
Hopefully he keeps developing just fine
In a few years this D should be great with Mete, Juulsen, Brook and Fleury just to name 4

Reactions: cphabs

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It would be smart to move Petry if Weber comes back healthy and Juulsen continues to impress. Hard to gauge Petry's trade value but I'm sure there would be interest. The return should be solid

It should be interesting to see what kind of year we have and what moves we make or don't make at the 2019 deadline!

Brook and Fleury are far from ready, even Juulsen needs some time to be considered a steady presence in the NHL... Let's not jump the gun too much. We'D have no backup plan on the right side... well, we already don't. Plus, Weber has spent most of his time as a Hab injured so far, not looking too good for the future.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Very happy with this. He'll play in Laval. And even if he plays in AHL, his 1st year will slide. So effectively, this is a 4-year deal.

It's complicated with the guys who turn 20 after Sept 15th. I think he is the exception to the exception and the contract does not slide. Had he signed last year, it would have slid both years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well right now juulsen wins because hes actually in the NHL and not looking too out of place lol

but i think fleury could be a more offensive juulsen if everything goes right

I was wondering if Fleury had more offensive potential or not. I do know Juulsen was used by his junior coach as a shut down D type. Looking forward to see what Fleury can do as a 20 year old in his 1st pro season. He only turns 20 in Nov.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's complicated with the guys who turn 20 after Sept 15th. I think he is the exception to the exception and the contract does not slide. Had he signed last year, it would have slid both years.

No it will slide this year. It was the same with Lernout and Scherbak. Both sgned 3-Year ELC's and both are starting their fourth year as pros and both are still on their ELC.

Reactions: Redux91

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No it will slide this year. It was the same with Lernout and Scherbak. Both sgned 3-Year ELC's and both are starting their fourth year as pros and both are still on their ELC.

Scherbak's slid because he signed at 18. Same with Lernout.

Cap Friendly concurs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Doesn't it slide automatically as long as he don't play 9 NHL games?
No, because he is 20 this year. It would slide if he signed at 18 (like Scherbak and Lernout), but if he signs at 19 and turns 20 before Dec 31, it does not slide.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, because he is 20 this year. It would slide if he signed at 18 (like Scherbak and Lernout), but if he signs at 19 (like DeLaRose) and turns 20 before Dec 31, it does not slide.

I'm not sure. I was under the understanding that DLR contract did not slide cause he played 33 NHL games in the season right after he signed?

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not sure. I was under the understanding that DLR contract did slide cause he played 33 NHL games in the season right after he signed?

No, it did not slide, he signed a new contract for 2017-18.

What you might be thinking of is that the Habs did not lose a year of UFA with him. The 40 game = accrued season rule is a different thing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, it did not slide, but Habs did not lose a year of UFA. The 40 game = accrued season rule is a different thing.

Yes, 10 games triggers the ELC and 40 games triggers the 7 years of RFA service. Wasn't aware of the exception for age 19 contracts where they turn 20 from sept to dec

(I should of said "did not slide".)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad