Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
99 is retired... and I havent seen anyone wear 66 since like forever. Ho-sang is the only one since idk when.

This quote is nice though, should rustle some of the boomer jimmies around these parts.
"I'm fine with it," Lemieux told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It's just a number. No. 4 and No. 9 were worn by great players (Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe, respectively), and they are not retired forever. Players can choose whatever number they want."

Always thought retiring numbers was ridiculous, like with the Habs, MB don't like high numbers, but over half the lower numbers are retired.

Retire the jersey itself, get the name in the rafters, not the number.

On another note, wasn't Zednik wearing #20 ? He had some freak injuries, but was one of the few positives of the early 2000s

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He’s solid. We have a good one.

He’s a truck on skate! He looks strong as hell.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Always thought retiring numbers was ridiculous, like with the Habs, MB don't like high numbers, but over half the lower numbers are retired.

Retire the jersey itself, get the name in the rafters, not the number.

On another note, wasn't Zednik wearing #20 ? He had some freak injuries, but was one of the few positives of the early 2000s
I agree. To me, if u want a jersey retired tou have to be a generationnal player and i don’t see a lot. I never saw Cournoyer, Morenz, Gainey, Bouchard play. But im pretty not sure they were generationnal player. To me, it could be only Richard/Beliveau and Lafleur. Thats it

Reactions: DAChampion

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Found he got crossed up a few times and then started running around. Especially in the third though he wasn't alone there. Overall though, a really great effort considering the pace and intensity. Once he starts to get chemistry with Kulak, I could see them being one of the best 3rd pairs in the league

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Found he got crossed up a few times and then started running around. Especially in the third though he wasn't alone there. Overall though, a really great effort considering the pace and intensity. Once he starts to get chemistry with Kulak, I could see them being one of the best 3rd pairs in the league
It wasnt the best game to Suzuki either. I think its gonna take some time to adapt, but skill are there

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The obsession that some have numbers is completely irrational. I'm not surprised that Bergevin cares a lot about numbers.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It wasnt the best game to Suzuki either. I think its gonna take some time to adapt, but skill are there
Yeah but overall positive for both. That was one of the fastest games I've ever seen and both kept up.

Gotta say though, Domi was absolutely brutal. Not worried though, they'll figure it out

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I agree. To me, if u want a jersey retired tou have to be a generationnal player and i don’t see a lot. I never saw Cournoyer, Morenz, Gainey, Bouchard play. But im pretty not sure they were generationnal player. To me, it could be only Richard/Beliveau and Lafleur. Thats it

Gainey was maybe the greatest defensive forward of all time and an absolute pleasure to watch shutdown the top lines and players of the day. As complete of a player as the NHL has ever seen IMO. The Road Runner could fly and just fell short of 500 career goals while winning 10 freaking Cups. He also did a lot of the work on Paul Henderson’s goal of the century for Canada to beat the Russians in 1972. If he hadn’t hurt his back, forcing an early retirement, he would have undoubtedly had even better numbers. He’s something like 4th or 5th all time in Habs scoring, which would put him first on 90 percent of the other teams in the league.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Gainey was maybe the greatest defensive forward of all time and an absolute pleasure to watch shutdown the top lines and players of the day. As complete of a player as the NHL has ever seen IMO. The Road Runner could fly and just fell short of 500 career goals while winning 10 freaking Cups. He also did a lot of the work on Paul Henderson’s goal of the century for Canada to beat the Russians in 1972. If he hadn’t hurt his back, forcing an early retirement, he would have undoubtedly had even better numbers. He’s something like 4th or 5th all time in Habs scoring, which would put him first on 90 percent of the other teams in the league.
Kris Draper, Guy carbonneau and cie were also good for shut down line and I hope They are gonna never be retired. It doesnt mean they werent good. They were, but to met to be retired mean more than just to be a good shut down player.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Fleury has looked solid. I know it's early and things can change but he is like a mix of a stay at home defender with a little bit of rushing ability mixed in, everyone is high on Brook but this guy might very well be the one to watch. He has the size and a bit of a nasty streak and he is from western Canada to boot, I like him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The obsession that some have numbers is completely irrational. I'm not surprised that Bergevin cares a lot about numbers.
For what it's worth ..

Joel Bouchard isn't allowing any player to wear a number over 44.

That's why Hudon had to switch from 54 to 18 for the Rocket.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fleury has looked solid. I know it's early and things can change but he is like a mix of a stay at home defender with a little bit of rushing ability mixed in, everyone is high on Brook but this guy might very well be the one to watch. He has the size and a bit of a nasty streak and he is from western Canada to boot, I like him.
He's got a bit of Johnny Boychuk in his game...though probably not as much of a mean streak.

Reactions: cphabs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's got a bit of Johnny Boychuk in his game...though probably not as much of a mean streak.
I would love it if he was the guy that the Bruins and their fans hated! I have wanted that since Subban and frankly, for me, I see us as really lacking in identity and that's a shame because our history has been full of players that gave us the swagger. I am hoping that this kid can continue to mature and show us more.

Reactions: 417

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Kris Draper, Guy carbonneau and cie were also good for shut down line and I hope They are gonna never be retired. It doesnt mean they werent good. They were, but to met to be retired mean more than just to be a good shut down player.

For a guy who never saw him play you have a lot of opinions. Most of them wrong. You’re entitled to them of course but you’re misinformed.

"Bob's contribution to the game was that he proved once and for all that a forward could be a genuine star without scoring a lot."
-Ken Dryden

When Denis Potvin was asked about great players he mentioned Gainey before Lafleur:
"He was the guy who made Montreal really hard for me to play," said Potvin. "He hurried you. If you did not turn in time and really hustle after the puck and get rid of it right away, he planted you. Hell, he planted you even if you did make the play. After a few shifts, I'd be throwing the puck away against a Lambert or a Risebrough too. He took me off my game and made me play too quickly against Montreal. I don't think I played nearly as well at a Bob Gainey tempo as I did when I controlled the pace of the game."

Viktor Tikhonov also called Gainey the “best all around player in the world,” or “Most complete hockey player in the world,” depending on your translation.

Don’t compare Draper to Gainey, Bob Gainey played more for the Habs during their great years than any other forward not named Lafleur. Draper was a fine player but he was no Gainey.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Back then, the Habs teams themselves were generationnal. These guys were captains of course they'll be retired. And Morenz was the first retired number in the league because of his death.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He’s solid. We have a good one.

He’s a truck on skate! He looks strong as hell.

Looked decent,some butterflies and nerves,but first game out of the way. Habs have a few good RD 3rd pairing with Folin and hopefully NJ gets cleared to lace em up soon.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For a guy who never saw him play you have a lot of opinions. Most of them wrong. You’re entitled to them of course but you’re misinformed.

"Bob's contribution to the game was that he proved once and for all that a forward could be a genuine star without scoring a lot."
-Ken Dryden

When Denis Potvin was asked about great players he mentioned Gainey before Lafleur:
"He was the guy who made Montreal really hard for me to play," said Potvin. "He hurried you. If you did not turn in time and really hustle after the puck and get rid of it right away, he planted you. Hell, he planted you even if you did make the play. After a few shifts, I'd be throwing the puck away against a Lambert or a Risebrough too. He took me off my game and made me play too quickly against Montreal. I don't think I played nearly as well at a Bob Gainey tempo as I did when I controlled the pace of the game."

Viktor Tikhonov also called Gainey the “best all around player in the world,” or “Most complete hockey player in the world,” depending on your translation.

Don’t compare Draper to Gainey, Bob Gainey played more for the Habs during their great years than any other forward not named Lafleur. Draper was a fine player but he was no Gainey.
Everything you said I agree with, players that should never be mentioned in the same breath

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looked decent,some butterflies and nerves,but first game out of the way. Habs have a few good RD 3rd pairing with Folin and hopefully NJ gets cleared to lace em up soon.

I'm really curious to see what kind of player he develops into being.

The main fundamentals in today's game are to read the pla quickly, to be mobile. And to have a physical presence. After that it's to bring some offense. We'll see what he's got over the next 3 to 5 years. He's still only 20.

Would be fantastic if he, Juulsen, or Brook could play the left side.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Gainey was a unique player. Big and powerful and had a very good skill set too. Back then players played specific roles. Bowman wanted to win every game 2-1. If he was up 3-1 he got super nervous and wondered what was wrong. (This was one of the all time great quotes by Steve Shutt in one of the books on the Habs). So Gainey was not out there for offense at all. He won the conn Smythe trophy he was that good. I believe the Selke trophy was in large part to honor the work guys like him did.
He was the best all time at that style of play. A true humble guy who sacrificed for the better of his team.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yvan is my favourite habs player ever. He was an insane devil against red army at the New Years game. Early on he used a straight blade and I saw him switch hands and score on a breakaway once. Yes. He switched hands. He was also incredibly fast.

Beliveau said he never saw a player with bigger leg muscles.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
99 is retired... and I havent seen anyone wear 66 since like forever. Ho-sang is the only one since idk when.

This quote is nice though, should rustle some of the boomer jimmies around these parts.
"I'm fine with it," Lemieux told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It's just a number. No. 4 and No. 9 were worn by great players (Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe, respectively), and they are not retired forever. Players can choose whatever number they want."
the only other one I've seen but I got no info and he didn't keep the number.
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: Mrb1p

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Victor Tihkonov said Gainey was the best all-around player he has ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad