Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
John Lu has it Kulak-Fleury on page 3 of the GDT.

Either way, Fleury is getting a looooong look.

But if he's not with Kulak that says a lot about who CJ thinks will eventually emerge as the winner of the rd spot next to kulak.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Still, if the kid liked the number because it was part of his success, he may have wanted to keep it. According to the article, it does look like it but MB wanted something else

Fleury does not care and this is not an issue. If anything Fleury would be happy as numbers like 83 are given to players who are not expected to play in the NHL.

This is common practice in the NHL and doesn't need to be added to the anti MB narrative.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
#20 I like it and I like this young man.....I’ve seen him a couple of times and like Jacques Laperriere used to say “the good NHL d-men are the ones you don’t even notice where on the ice”

I don’t want to overdue it but this kid could be an Adam Foote type D.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fleury does not care and this is not an issue. If anything Fleury would be happy as numbers like 83 are given to players who are not expected to play in the NHL.

This is common practice in the NHL and doesn't need to be added to the anti MB narrative.

It’s common practice for GMs to pick jersey numbers for rookies? Is that a fact, never heard of that before now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I love how people say "it's not a big deal". Well to us it isn't, but it definitely is a big deal for Bergevin if the reports are true.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It’s common practice for GMs to pick jersey numbers for rookies? Is that a fact, never heard of that before now.

Yes, it is common practice for the team to pick the number. It is also common practice on this board for a select group of posters to blame everything on Bergevin. Truly the equivalent of the Flat Earth Society on this board.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, it is common practice for the team to pick the number.

Ha, never noticed before. I wonder why most teams would entertain the idea of doing this? Why would they care, seems like a very inconsequential thing.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Ha, never noticed before. I wonder why most teams would entertain the idea of doing this? Why would they care, seems like a very inconsequential thing.

Just seems to be a right of passage and many rookies change their number in following years. Fleury could have requested a number but it is considered taboo for an unproven rookie to demand a number. This doesn't tend to apply to high profile prospects as they often end up with their preferred number. I am sure the teams will make an effort to try and give players their previously worn numbers but Cale was #4 as a junior which is clearly a non option. He wore 38 in Laval which is where the 83 probably came from. I suspect 20 is just a relatively low number that happened to be available and I doubt Fleury is remotely bothered by this arbitrary decision. Certainly not a topic that should be a cause for criticism unless of course certain posters are more interested in their quasi political agenda than they are in actual critical analysis.

If he doesn't like #20 then he will have to earn the right to change it.

Reactions: Archijerej

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just seems to be a right of passage and many rookies change their number in following years. Fleury could have requested a number but it is considered taboo for an unproven rookie to demand a number. This doesn't tend to apply to high profile prospects as they often end up with their preferred number. I am sure the teams will make an effort to try and give players their previously worn numbers but Cale was #4 as a junior which is clearly a non option. He wore 38 in Laval which is where the 83 probably came from. I suspect 20 is just a relatively low number that happened to be available and I doubt Fleury is remotely bothered by this arbitrary decision.

You must mean a rite of passage. :wg:

Sounds like a remnant discretionary option that may have been passed down from the days of cigar-chomping, fedora wearing, crusty owners and their executioner GMs. Yet there are GMs who probably don't even care about such a thing and there are probably a good number.

Would have preferred to see Fleury get a number that had not been worn recently. I just find it a tad annoying when a new player is sporting a jersey that used to be filled by another player until as recently as last season, when that number had been identified with the prior player over several years.

There ought to be a little distance between the time such a number is re-assigned just so that you get the impression of a new beginning for the new player who adorns it. But hey, first world problems, right?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Sounds like a remnant discretionary option that may have been passed down from the days of cigar-chomping, fedora wearing, crusty owners and their executioner GMs. Yet there are GMs who probably don't even care about such a thing and there are probably a good number.

Would have preferred to see Fleury get a number that had not been worn recently. I just find it a tad annoying when a new player is sporting a jersey that used to be filled by another player until as recently as last season, when that number had been identified with the prior player over several years.

There ought to be a little distance between the time such a number is re-assigned just so that you get the impression of a new beginning for the new player who adorns it. But hey, first world problems, right?

Good catch!

Yeah it is an old school practice and is certainly at the discretion of coaches/gm's and potentially team leaders. Just don't think it is a discussion worth having when the players don't even care.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good catch!

Yeah it is an old school practice and is certainly at the discretion of coaches/gm's and potentially team leaders. Just don't think it is a discussion worth having when the players don't even care.

It's a discussion worth having for those who did not know about the practice. One of those trivia tidbits you can conjure up at a party. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Rookies also have to sit down when they pee. Bergevin ain't never wanna see no rookies standing when they pee.

Reactions: Mrb1p

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Just seems to be a right of passage and many rookies change their number in following years. Fleury could have requested a number but it is considered taboo for an unproven rookie to demand a number. This doesn't tend to apply to high profile prospects as they often end up with their preferred number. I am sure the teams will make an effort to try and give players their previously worn numbers but Cale was #4 as a junior which is clearly a non option. He wore 38 in Laval which is where the 83 probably came from. I suspect 20 is just a relatively low number that happened to be available and I doubt Fleury is remotely bothered by this arbitrary decision. Certainly not a topic that should be a cause for criticism unless of course certain posters are more interested in their quasi political agenda than they are in actual critical analysis.

If he doesn't like #20 then he will have to earn the right to change it.
Said he used to wear 20 in AAA.

I agree with you on the whole number thing. Who the hell chooses 83 lol? Clearly assigned to him or the best of the rest I suppose.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

When half the numbers are retired and you're given the option between 14 and 83, you choose 14 lol.

Not really a fan of this number retiring tbh. I guess some numbers like 9 should be reserved but most of the other ones should be up for grabs

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Yes, it is common practice for the team to pick the number. It is also common practice on this board for a select group of posters to blame everything on Bergevin. Truly the equivalent of the Flat Earth Society on this board.

Well, see, interestingly I'm not a MB basher here although I will criticize him if I feel he deserves it. And in this case, I just didn't like the idea of a GM (MB or anybody else) asking a kid to switch for not other reason that "I don't like big numbers". So don't categorize me just based on one comment, thank you very much and have a good day.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Btw, I will add another comment on this. I remember one instance of this occuring and it was Joe Sakic. I was living in Quebec city in those days so Sakic was the big thing there and in his debut, he wanted to wear a big number, something like 91. But the coach, Michel Bergeron maybe, said "I want you to wear #19 because I think you could be our Steve Yzerman, showing the same leadership and skills". That at least for me, is a valid reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad