Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Juulsen is safer, Fleury needs to improve his defensive play. Both have good size, physical games but Fleury is the better skater, more speed, mobility.

Wow, that 2017 draft! Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Primeau. Not sure about Ikonen. If we get a potential starting goalie, a middle 2 center, and two top 4D's from this draft, that is dam good.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is outstanding! So happy he is signed. He must have done a good job at camp

I think the plan was to sign him all along as I don't think it would have been a good move to have him in the WHL as an overager. The only way I would have sent him back is to work on his defensive game but I'm not a fan of 20 year olds in the CHL so I would have rather had in the AHL. I assume they just wanted to see how the 50 contract thing worked out first before signing him.

Wow, that 2017 draft! Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Primeau. Not sure about Ikonen. If we get a potential starting goalie, a middle 2 center, and two top 4D's from this draft, that is dam good.

yea it could be a good one but early on drafts usually look much better and down the road they often don't. But it's off to a great start so far, lots to like.

Reactions: Redux91

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Great signing, definitely going to catch some Rocket games, I'm liking the team this year.

Likely next home game even.

Reactions: cphabs

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Sry if its been posted but damn the guys look pretty solid defensively....

Mitch Brown@MitchLBrown
With Cale Fleury signed, let's talk about last year's performance. Fleury was arguably the best rush/NZ defender in my CHL tracking project. Prevented over 40% of controlled entries (2nd of 146), forced the fourth-most dump ins. He's aggressive, smart, has recovery speed.#Habs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sry if its been posted but damn the guys look pretty solid defensively....

Mitch Brown@MitchLBrown
With Cale Fleury signed, let's talk about last year's performance. Fleury was arguably the best rush/NZ defender in my CHL tracking project. Prevented over 40% of controlled entries (2nd of 146), forced the fourth-most dump ins. He's aggressive, smart, has recovery speed.#Habs

Without looking at the num ers, my impression in the last few years is that defending the rush and neutral zone is likely the most important defensive part of having a system that focuses on team speed. Especially if the player knows how to turn defensive plays into offensive possession.

Another guy great at it in our system is Romanov.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's Fleury ETA, assuming no major setbacks or injury and with the benefits of Bouchardian tutelage?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think I've ever heard him speak French so he's disqualified.

He should take over from Bergevin. He'll take crash courses if he needs to. He's the best qualified for the job and he can in turn groom an assistant GM to eventually take over from him. Habs need to ensure in-house successors, only way to go.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Any weakness to his game?
Not really outside maybe a bit of work to do in his own zone at times like Montreal is saying, but this kid is rock solid and very physical with some nice puckmoving and skating skills, I like him alot, great potential...

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I hope his offensive zone pans out more, I like this kid! Finally he got a contract !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's Fleury ETA, assuming no major setbacks or injury and with the benefits of Bouchardian tutelage?

Depends how much he can be trusted to play a reliable defensive game. Didn't take Juulsen long but that was a strength to his game even in Junior. We will find out by December how Fleury has adapted to the pro game. He has size but now he is playing with many players who are similar in size to him.

The good news is the talent depth appears to be better in Laval this year and we have a much better coach. It should be easier for our prospects to fit in and produce.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Jul 6, 2016
The right side depth of the D is pretty much settled with Weber-Petry-Juulsen-Brook and Fleury, even Lernout.

And they are working on the left side actively with the acquisition of Reilly, Ouellet, Olofsson and Kulak.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think the plan was to sign him all along as I don't think it would have been a good move to have him in the WHL as an overager. The only way I would have sent him back is to work on his defensive game but I'm not a fan of 20 year olds in the CHL so I would have rather had in the AHL. I assume they just wanted to see how the 50 contract thing worked out first before signing him.

Can you elaborate on how that works? By going into season unsigned he can jump past the CHL rule and into minors?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
His cap hit is $771,166.

Cale Fleury - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

Reactions: Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can you elaborate on how that works? By going into season unsigned he can jump past the CHL rule and into minors?

Like @BaseballCoach says, and he corrected me earlier in this thread, if a player signs at 18, his contract could slide. But Fleury is 19 and thus his contract will not slide. Here is the line that matters from CapFriendly's site in the Entry-Level Slides section:

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

This is the part that matters: An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->