Cale Fleury or Timothy Liljegren

Cale Fleury or Timothy Liljegren?

• Total voters

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Its next level. This is just round 2 of an earlier debate where Habs fans thought Josh Brook > Liljegren, Sandin, etc.

Hell, there was a Hab fan that thought Josh Brook was the 5th best defensive prospect in hockey above Dobson, Hughes, Brannstrom, Bouchard, etc.

Also, as per @Mrb1p "Josh Brook is the best defensive prospect outside the NHL, and if he were to play for the Habs this year would be better than PK Subban" - Sept 2019

Evan Bouchard vs Josh Brook

Never seen anything like it. This is a perpetual cycle though as a Leaf fan where fans continually compare their 2nd tier flavour of the month to one of our top flight players.

P.S. for those who don't know, Brook is a borderline ECHL player. Can hardly play regular minutes as a bottom pair AHLer after he's been experimented with Alzner. Could not believe how poor his play was in a couple games I caught.
Hold one tried comparing Brook to...... Bouchard and 44 thought he's better......... I have lost faith in humanity

Reactions: Saint Blue

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Here is all of those 78 votes who did not vote in the Leafs fan option and among them, I see maybe 4 or 5 who are Leafs fans.
Leaf fan for Life, Gavy, GTA, BM14, Willy89, Kappy, Isaac Nootin,Saint Blue, Willny, Blueboy, garyturner3, Leafs money are just 12 that I recognize. There’s probably half a dozen more.
Anyways as I said both are reasonable picks and it should be close.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leaf fan for Life, Gavy, GTA, BM14, Willy89, Kappy, Isaac Nootin,Saint Blue, Willny, Blueboy, garyturner3, Leafs money are just 12 that I recognize. There’s probably half a dozen more.
Assuming the names you mentioned were the only Leafs fans who did not vote in the Leafs fan option, it means that Liljegren still got more votes in from netural fans than Fleury did.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Assuming the names you mentioned were the only Leafs fans who did not vote in the Leafs fan option, it means that Liljegren still got more votes in from netural fans than Fleury did.
Sure but it’s closer if you take out 18 votes or so. Either choice is reasonable. You also have to keep in mind that the poll was in July of last year. Who knows how it goes now.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
There are 35 neutral Lilly votes.

This list of the 13 Fleury votes doesn't look all the neutral either. It's a joke that people even do this, I just don't get it.

You're reading the lists backwards, that's why...there are 80 neutral votes for Liljegren.

The 13 votes you listed are under "Habs fans voting Fleury"

Are you blind?

Reactions: sharks9

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You're reading the lists backwards, that's why...there are 80 neutral votes for Liljegren.

The 13 votes you listed are under "Habs fans voting Fleury"

Are you blind?

Ya read that wrong. Normally its fans of team up top then neutral on bottom. The point still remains, habs fans also voted in the neutral fan section. Its stupid no matter who does it.

And lets be honest, there are very few actual neutral fans. There are probably 5 or 6 teams Im truely neutral about.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fleury is in the NHL, but his performance is so uninspiring I'd easily take Liljegren's season over his. Liljegren will eventually stick in the NHL and should be better

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think Liljegren is going to be a solid 2nd pairing NHL D. He's really evolved his game since being drafted. He is a tank physically now. Strong down low and good at moving the puck. He won't be running a PP in TO.

So with that said, I see the same for Fleury (2nd pairing D). Liljegren is just going to start getting his feet wet now. He only has 1 game, so limited sample size, but he was a strong positive per possession advanced stats.

IMO tho, Fleury reminds me more of Dermott than Liljegren.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Besides his 1 goal what else about his game has been impressive?

Once Liljegren is re-called and assuming Fleury doesn't get any more goals or assists, there is a good chance that Liljegren might pass his point total in less games.

his defense and physicality

there's also a good chance that Lil' goes -82 (prorated of course)

Reactions: sharks9

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Thanks "GTA", very cool.

I've been a Habs fan for 30 years including the 25 I've been in Toronto - but sure, I must be a Leafs fan because of my name.

I just can't stand homers and actually watch the games to form my opinions.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Neither one has shown much yet. Probably need to revisit in a year.

Incorrect. Liljegren is leading his draft year in AHL scoring for defencemen. That’s a lot of 2017 draft prospects he’s beating, including multiple other first round picks. He is the easy choice in this poll.

Also Liljegren is outscoring the one year older Juolevi this year again, but that’s to be expected at this stage.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Incorrect. Liljegren is leading his draft year in AHL scoring for defencemen. That’s a lot of 2017 draft prospects he’s beating, including multiple other first round picks. He is the easy choice in this poll.

Also Liljegren is outscoring the one year older Juolevi this year again, but that’s to be expected at this stage.
Nope. Most of his draft year is in the NHL already. The option for too close to call should be there which is why I didn’t vote.
I think both players project as bottom pairing guys with some upside. I’m higher on Sandin than Liljigren because of their skating and over all ability.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Fleury is in the NHL, but his performance is so uninspiring I'd easily take Liljegren's season over his. Liljegren will eventually stick in the NHL and should be better

I think Liljegren is in the AHL because he's an AHLer. Maybe he'll crack the NHL's bottom 5 defense next year if he has a good camp next year.

I'll take the uninspiring NHLer for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad