C/W Jesper Boqvist - Brynas IF, SHL (2017, 36th, NJD)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
U19 WJAC and U18 WJC/Hlinka isnt close to the same level of play. The U18 has the majority of time the very best players of their age group. The U19 don't have nearly the same quality as the U18 does since the best U19 players are usually in the NHL or not available.
The same argument is why I don't find Makars international resume as impressive as others has.
Very short sample size but Andrei Svechnikov scored 12 pts in 4 games at the WJAC-19 but 9 pts in 7 games at the WJC-18 and 5 pts in 5 games at Hlinka.

Nylander was a far away better prospect than Boqvist ever were and has the higher ceiling. Like i said, if everything goes in his way he could end up a MoJo esque player, that's it.
But hey, id love to see him blow me away and make me look like an idiot. Our national team could use another high end forward for once instead of a defenseman. :help:
You use "if all goes well" too loosely. If he puts up 30 points in 40 games in the SHL he will quickly jump into the top 25 prospects.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
You use "if all goes well" too loosely. If he puts up 30 points in 40 games in the SHL he will quickly jump into the top 25 prospects.
He's not putting up 30 points in 55 games in the SHL next season. I'd be happy to wager that.
If all goes well he has a scoring role by the end of the season.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He's not putting up 30 points in 55 games in the SHL next season. I'd be happy to wager that.
If all goes well he has a scoring role by the end of the season.
Elias Pettersson put up 14 points in 22 SuperElit games in his -1 draft season...I'm sure most wouldn't have expected a PPG in the Allsvenskan league. Boqvist has NHL speed and quickness, strong hockey sense/playmaking and a 6 foot frame, A light switch could easily turn on ala Aho.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Elias Pettersson put up 14 points in 22 SuperElit games in his -1 draft season...I'm sure most wouldn't have expected a PPG in the Allsvenskan league. Boqvist has NHL speed and quickness, strong hockey sense/playmaking and a 6 foot frame, A light switch could easily turn on ala Aho.

Elias had a good draft season maybe slightly above expected but not much. His production in superelit that season you mention was probably a result of him splitting his time between superelit and allsvenskan then plus I think he had some injuries (concussion in the beginning of the season I think?). Plus while his production in superelit was meh, his production in allsvenskan was pretty good that season.

Elias draft season didnt come from the blue exactly, in his D-2 season, he dominated J18 allsvenskan like crazy, and even superelit but with small sample size in superelite, but still, he was the most dominated player in superelit that year that i saw.

With that said, I agree Boqvist has all the tools to become a superstar in NHL in the long run. SHL is a different beast than allsvenskan. While I would not be surprise if he did hit 30p this comming season, I would not count with it either. I think it is hard to predict his production in shl next season, he is a pretty raw talent and you never know how much ice-time they will get. It could take a few years before he put it togheter so I wouldnt be worried if he didnt light up shl next year, but it could go fast as well, the tools are there.

When it comes to Lias Andersson, Lias has a much higher floor, Boqvist higher ceiling. Lias is almost NHL ready now, Boqvist is a few years away if ever.

Last edited:

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Aside from Hischier and Zacha, Boqvist was far and away the most exciting and best forward at our dev camp. His skill is ridiculous, he's fast, he's agile, and looks like he can stickhandle in a phone booth.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Aside from Hischier and Zacha, Boqvist was far and away the most exciting and best forward at our dev camp. His skill is ridiculous, he's fast, he's agile, and looks like he can stickhandle in a phone booth.
Team made a huge mistake with this kid. He is not a winger, he is tailor made for center. Tremendous passer, very good speed, elite hands, very good hockey sense. I am more excited for him than I am Michael McLeod.

Hischier
Boqvist
McLeod

This would be an ideal depth chart up the middle for NJ.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yea I get that, I guess I just meant in that they are swedish, diminutive forwards with alot of speed and skill.

I wouldn't call him big, but I wouldn't call him diminutive... listed at 6' 179 on several sites

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
He's been the 1C every game at the showcase over Andersson and Pettersson, and from what I've seen his line has been the most dangerous.

I don't think he plays anything like Tedenby. Tedenby was all hands and speed with no brain. The sum total of his game at the NHL level was skate fast into the corner, lose the puck, repeat.

Boqvist seems more cerebral. Very pleased with the pick.

Toasterleavins*

Jan 23, 2013
Hackettstown NJ
He's been the 1C every game at the showcase over Andersson and Pettersson, and from what I've seen his line has been the most dangerous.

I don't think he plays anything like Tedenby. Tedenby was all hands and speed with no brain. The sum total of his game at the NHL level was skate fast into the corner, lose the puck, repeat.

Boqvist seems more cerebral. Very pleased with the pick.

I havent seen him much other than these few games in the ssc but he does seem to have very good hockey sense. Usually makes the right decision.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
dirty imo, defender wasn't even trying to get the puck, just crush him as hard as possible with his head turned

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
His number were towards the player who threw the hit the entire time the guy was coming in for the hit.

Was talking about the late turn which exposed his face to the bay window.

No s... he sees the numbers, the guy is first to the puck.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The problem seemed to be that the puck did not roll along the boards the way Boquist expected. He's reaching back for the puck exposing his numbers. The hit itself is a sort of standard hit to cut off the boards and the defenders are always happy to drill the forward. It's typically allowed but it is a fairly lazy and careless play by a defender. Somehow I think if that was called defenders would magically be able to pull up.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
According to the local papers, the fracture is complicated and will take some extra time to heal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad