C/W Jesper Boqvist - Brynas IF, SHL (2017, 36th, NJD)

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
He can do both, but I would guess wing, espically going forward in New Jersey. New Jersey have plenty of young C

Had a very similar draft season to w Nylander, statistically at least.
Maybe statistically but not in play, hard to not factor in Nylanders ridiculous WJC-18. Boqvist is nowhere near Nylander.
At very very best i could see Boqvist topping off as a MoJo esque player. Which is high, but obviously that's if everything goes right in his development. Doubt he becomes it, but we'll see.

Great value pick.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Maybe statistically but not in play, hard to not factor in Nylanders ridiculous WJC-18. Boqvist is nowhere near Nylander.
At very very best i could see Boqvist topping off as a MoJo esque player. Which is high, but obviously that's if everything goes right in his development. Doubt he becomes it, but we'll see.

Great value pick.

If Boqvist was close to Nylander he wouldn't have been picked 36th overall. The red flags in his game are warranted but his skill is unquestionable. If he can overcome those I really like his potential.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really hate seeing players who are late birthdays like Boqvist and Pettersson being compared to William Nylander. It's not the same...

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Really hate seeing players who are late birthdays like Boqvist and Pettersson being compared to William Nylander. It's not the same...

It was one person and all they said was they had a similar year production wise. Calm down.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Obviously haven't seen much of Boqvist but what separate him and WN? Obviously Nylander was the much better prospect in his draft year as he was a top 10 pick

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It was one person and all they said was they had a similar year production wise. Calm down.

In this thread yes, but the same narrative is in many other threads (Petterson thread as an example). Seems like every swedish forward prospect is being compared to Nylander now.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
In this thread yes, but the same narrative is in many other threads (Petterson thread as an example). Seems like every swedish forward prospect is being compared to Nylander now.

Boqvist is actually quite similar to William Nylander but he is not half the player Nylander was in his draft year, despite posting similar numbers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really sorry the Canucks didn't draft him....but they had Kole Lind rated as a first-rounder and grabbed him when he fell....still a great pickup by the Devils.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

Great value pick.

Yes Nylander had a ridiculous WJC 18, but Boqvist had a ridiculous U19 tournament with the national team. In allsvenskan Boqvist absolutly passed the eye-test, I would say he was better than the stats shows there. In playstyle they remind alot of eachother, at least in superelit and allsvenskan.

Boqvist is a thrill to watch when he got the time and space, I do however have big question marks how he will handle higher level with a more phsyical play, more than I ever had with Nylander, plus Nylander was younger. The combo of Nylander being younger and being more calm as a result of probably higher hockey iq make him to a much better prospect during the draft year yes. But while he is not as good prospect as Nylander was overall, the ceiling is absolutly there. I see can both a Nylander type of career and Tedenby type of career.

But still they remind alot of eachother both in playstyle and statistically, which most players that are compared with Nylander do not (like Pettersson, his playstyle is nothing like Nylander).

In the 2015/2016 season, I remember coaches in brynas compare him with Backstrom, not in playstyle, but in talent.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Yes Nylander had a ridiculous WJC 18, but Boqvist had a ridiculous U19 tournament with the national team. In allsvenskan Boqvist absolutly passed the eye-test, I would say he was better than the stats shows there. In playstyle they remind alot of eachother, at least in superelit and allsvenskan.

Boqvist is a thrill to watch when he got the time and space, I do however have big question marks how he will handle higher level with a more phsyical play, more than I ever had with Nylander, plus Nylander was younger. The combo of Nylander being younger and being more calm as a result of probably higher hockey iq make him to a much better prospect during the draft year yes. But while he is not as good prospect as Nylander was overall, the ceiling is absolutly there. I see can both a Nylander type of career and Tedenby type of career.

But still they remind alot of eachother both in playstyle and statistically, which most players that are compared with Nylander do not (like Pettersson, his playstyle is nothing like Nylander).

In the 2015/2016 season, I remember coaches in brynas compare him with Backstrom, not in playstyle, but in talent.
U19 WJAC and U18 WJC/Hlinka isnt close to the same level of play. The U18 has the majority of time the very best players of their age group. The U19 don't have nearly the same quality as the U18 does since the best U19 players are usually in the NHL or not available.
The same argument is why I don't find Makars international resume as impressive as others has.
Very short sample size but Andrei Svechnikov scored 12 pts in 4 games at the WJAC-19 but 9 pts in 7 games at the WJC-18 and 5 pts in 5 games at Hlinka.

Nylander was a far away better prospect than Boqvist ever were and has the higher ceiling. Like i said, if everything goes in his way he could end up a MoJo esque player, that's it.
But hey, id love to see him blow me away and make me look like an idiot. Our national team could use another high end forward for once instead of a defenseman. :help:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
U19 WJAC and U18 WJC/Hlinka isnt close to the same level of play. The U18 has the majority of time the very best players of their age group. The U19 don't have nearly the same quality as the U18 does since the best U19 players are usually in the NHL or not available.
The same argument is why I don't find Makars international resume as impressive as others has.
Very short sample size but Andrei Svechnikov scored 12 pts in 4 games at the WJAC-19 but 9 pts in 7 games at the WJC-18 and 5 pts in 5 games at Hlinka.

Nylander was a far away better prospect than Boqvist ever were and has the higher ceiling. Like i said, if everything goes in his way he could end up a MoJo esque player, that's it.
But hey, id love to see him blow me away and make me look like an idiot. Our national team could use another high end forward for once instead of a defenseman. :help:

You are mixing up tournaments, sweden do not play in U19 WJAC. The tournament Boqvist played in was a european tournament. But I do agree that U18 is of higher level. My point was just that Boqvist had also success internationally during his draft year. But hlinka is a summer tournament, and I do not take that very seriously.

I repeat I do think Nylander was a better prospect hands down. But I do think Boqvist has a higher ceiling than you are willing to admit. But the risk is much higher than it was with Nylander. Boqvist has a elite skillset, he has the skating, he has the puckcontroll, he has the hockey iq.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space

please don't mention tedenby, it still hurts

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Didn't realize just how efficient Boqvist was in the SHL this year in a limited role. He finished the year with a p/60 (all situations) of 2.76. Compare that with Lias Andersson who was at 1.8 p/60. Not saying he's a better prospect, but very interesting at how good he was in his limited time there.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He was a favourite of certain elements of the Canucks' analytics community. I am by no means an analytics junkie, but their endorsement was more than enough for me - I wanted him at #33

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Devils need defence

I hope they get him

Uh, this is Jesper Boqvist, a forward we already drafted at 36th.:laugh:

He looked really slight from the development camp pictures I saw. Definitely needs to bulk up over the next couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad