C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Krejci lead the playoffs in points. He's been a very good top end C for a long time while Boston was a contender.

The Hawks are an example of a team who did without but they had insane depth and Kane, Hossa, two hall of fame wingers, add Keith who is likely a hall of fame defenceman, Seabrook who was a number one as well. Those teams had insane depth everywhere else.

So yes, you can win with Poehling as a 2C provided you have three hall of fame players playing other positions on your team. Good luck!

Ok, Krejci had good playoffs. He's still not consider a 1C. Boston moslty had a deep line up at all position, not an over the top C depth.
They cam out on top of the East against Pitts with Crosby, Malkin and lost to Chicago who had weaker C depth...

Dallas missed the playoffs 3 times out of the past 4 years with great C depth with :
Seguin - Spezza -Eakin
Seguin - Spezza - Faksa
Seguin - Faksa - Spezza - Hanzal (injured)

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
*Looks at profile picture*

This post checks out. No bias detected. :laugh:

I know i'm bias. But Poehling looks like a really good center. Amazing hockey IQ and i think people underrated offensive game on Poehling. He got underrated hands, he have everything to be a solid top 6 centre in the future. Just work on his shot/scoring touch.

Reactions: schnapshot

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I know i'm bias. But Poehling looks like a really good center. Amazing hockey IQ and i think people underrated offensive game on Poehling. He got underrated hands, he have everything to be a solid top 6 centre in the future. Just work on his shot/scoring touch.
I feel that when people hear “two-way ability”, they automatically assume a player will be bottom 6.

Reactions: Deam78 and CapSpace

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I said on another page that Poehling is good but you are over hyping him . He was not even top 10 in the NCHC and 3 -4 best on St Cloud last year . NCHC guys that are better Denver -Borgstrom , Terry ,Gambrell , Mitchell CC- Halloran and possibly Bergh Omaha -Pope UND - Wolanin , Gerish Miami -possibly Green WMU - Allison and ST Cloud Schultz , Jackson and Eyssimont . Now he is younger than most of these guys but has to bring his . game to the next level . Some of these guys out preformed him even when you go back to their Freshman and Sophmore years .
Now all that said i do like him and do believe he will make a good middle of the row NHL player but i don't think any part of his game is amazing . I also have watched him live in both of his college years 6 times total . I am not slamming him i am just trying to reighn in your expectations .

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I said on another page that Poehling is good but you are over hyping him . He was not even top 10 in the NCHC and 3 -4 best on St Cloud last year . NCHC guys that are better Denver -Borgstrom , Terry ,Gambrell , Mitchell CC- Halloran and possibly Bergh Omaha -Pope UND - Wolanin , Gerish Miami -possibly Green WMU - Allison and ST Cloud Schultz , Jackson and Eyssimont . Now he is younger than most of these guys but has to bring his . game to the next level . Some of these guys out preformed him even when you go back to their Freshman and Sophmore years .
Now all that said i do like him and do believe he will make a good middle of the row NHL player but i don't think any part of his game is amazing . I also have watched him live in both of his college years 6 times total . I am not slamming him i am just trying to reighn in your expectations .
Exactly, he is younger than all of these guys. For half of them, about two or three years younger.

I don't know if you're talking about stats or on the ice performance? Because a player nearing PPG at 19 is much more impressive than a player over PPG at 22. He was St. Cloud's first line C the whole season as a sophomore.

As a matter of fact, Poehling was 7th in PPG and 5th in goals for U20 players in the whole NCAA. In front of him, were three players drafted a year before (Harper, Fox and Frederic). So among his age group, he was definitely part of the top 10 best (statistically).

That a player that's two or three years older than him is currently better does not surprise me, nor is it really relevant in a prospect discussion IMO.

You have to imagine that when Poehling will be the same age as guys like Bergh, Halloran, Eyssimont and Gambrell like you named, he will be playing pro, not in the NCAA... Although I respect the fact that you actually watch these guys and can give an educated opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Exactly, he is younger than all of these guys. For half of them, about two or three years younger.

I don't know if you're talking about stats or on the ice performance? Because a player nearing PPG at 19 is much more impressive than a player over PPG at 22. He was St. Cloud's first line C the whole season as a sophomore.

As a matter of fact, Poehling was 7th in PPG and 5th in goals for U20 players in the whole NCAA. In front of him, were three players drafted a year before (Harper, Fox and Frederic). So among his age group, he was definitely part of the top 10 best (statistically).

That a player that's two or three years older than him is currently better does not surprise me, nor is it really relevant in a prospect discussion IMO.

You have to imagine that when Poehling will be the same age as guys like Bergh, Halloran, Eyssimont and Gambrell like you named, he will be playing pro, not in the NCAA... Although I respect the fact that you actually watch these guys and can give an educated opinion on the matter.
With age worked in he is in there with atleast 5 of those guys [ Terry , Gambrell Mitchell Allison Gerish and Hallaran had a real breakout season for a poorer team i have Borgstrom out in front . That being said those are all good players but i am just trying to temper your expectations . Gerish actually statistically had a stronger year the years previously but had Jost Schultz and Boeser as linemates

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Let's see some more offensive upside before we compare him to O'Reilly and Kesler. Yes you can argue those players also did not show that they could he #1 C at this age but they are the outliers.

Poehling is a decent prospect, but is getting more hype because he's mtl second best prospect. If he was on Carolina or Philly no one would be talking about him.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ok, Krejci had good playoffs. He's still not consider a 1C. Boston moslty had a deep line up at all position, not an over the top C depth.
They cam out on top of the East against Pitts with Crosby, Malkin and lost to Chicago who had weaker C depth...

Dallas missed the playoffs 3 times out of the past 4 years with great C depth with :
Seguin - Spezza -Eakin
Seguin - Spezza - Faksa
Seguin - Faksa - Spezza - Hanzal (injured)
Spezza's offensive play is decining big time while he is and has always been a mediore 2-way center... Faksa is taking time to produce offensively, he is still young though... Seguin is one of the most skilled in the league but isnt always fully engaged defensively...thats not what i would call great depth down the middle, thats avarage at best... Stars are also weak on the wings, maybe Nichuskin will help them next year but the defense is also below average...

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Let's see some more offensive upside before we compare him to O'Reilly and Kesler. Yes you can argue those players also did not show that they could he #1 C at this age but they are the outliers.

Poehling is a decent prospect, but is getting more hype because he's mtl second best prospect. If he was on Carolina or Philly no one would be talking about him.

That's wrong, he was amazing last year while being the number 1 center of the best team in the NCAA and the youngest player on his team.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Spezza's offensive play is decining big time while he is and has always been a mediore 2-way center... Faksa is taking time to produce offensively, he is still young though... Seguin is one of the most skilled in the league but isnt always fully engaged defensively...thats not what i would call great depth down the middle, thats avarage at best... Stars are also weak on the wings, maybe Nichuskin will help them next year but the defense is also below average...

Spezza was a very good 2C in his first 3 years in Dallas, averaging 0.84 ppg... which projects to 69pts on 82 games.
The fact is, and my point, center depth is only one piece of the puzzle and you can have success with a weaker depth at center and stronger depht at D, Wing or in net. Just like a team with decent center depth can go nowhere if the other piece aren't good enough.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017

He might get talked more about or get more attention, but he isn't hyped because of this, his own play makes that. If he was trending poorly or showing nothing good he'd be talked about in a bad way a lot, and not talked about at all in Carolina or Philly like you say.

He has over-exposure, not over-hype.

Reactions: jfhabs

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
If anything he'd be getting alot more hype if he had a sexier name and wasn't on the hated habs.
I think that's a lot of it is that he kinda flew under the radar (as a late first in a 'weaker' draft going in) before the draft, being a freshman on a good team without putting up great numbers.

Now that he's done his sophomore year, and improved greatly, it seems some don't want to give him credit yet. It seems the vast majority see him as a middle six centre, which is decent value for a late first. If he continues to trend upward, he could top out as a higher end #2c but on the low end, an excellent #3C. I can't see anything below that, which given his draft slot, is excellent

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
That's wrong, he was amazing last year while being the number 1 center of the best team in the NCAA and the youngest player on his team.

Of course he was the #1 center. The only other centers on the team were his brothers lol. He definitely wouldn't be talked about as much . He has a good season. It wasn't great. He had the minimum amount of production to still be projected as a possible top 6 C. Any less and he would be a disappointment. Not saying he's bad, but don't see the Bergeron O'Reilly Kesler talk warranted yet. It's possible but not probable...yet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course he was the #1 center. The only other centers on the team were his brothers lol. He definitely wouldn't be talked about as much . He has a good season. It wasn't great. He had the minimum amount of production to still be projected as a possible top 6 C. Any less and he would be a disappointment. Not saying he's bad, but don't see the Bergeron O'Reilly Kesler talk warranted yet. It's possible but not probable...yet

....he produced at a .86 PPG.

Mittlestatd produced at a .88 PPG.

I dont know

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
....he produced at a .86 PPG.

Mittlestatd produced at a .88 PPG.

I dont know

Middlestadts production was very underwhelming this year. His WJC saved his season. Besides it's his first year in the NCAA. I don't see anything wrong with what I said. His production was good, not great.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Middlestadts production was very underwhelming this year. His WJC saved his season. Besides it's his first year in the NCAA. I don't see anything wrong with what I said. His production was good, not great.
Hes produced similar numbers to every top six forwars to come out of the NCAA in their D+1 year. The fact he wasnt a rookie shouldnt matter much, hes still the same age as all these guys, the unique thing is being a 17 year old in the NCAA.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hes produced similar numbers to every top six forwars to come out of the NCAA in their D+1 year. The fact he wasnt a rookie shouldnt matter much, hes still the same age as all these guys, the unique thing is being a 17 year old in the NCAA.

I just said middlestadts production was very underwhelming . His stats were very poor for a 19 year old in the NCAA for a top 5 prospect. I just tried to give an explanation cause it makes no sense why people deem him as a top 5 prospect with that production. He showed well at the end of the year in the NHL but they were meaningless games.

The extra year that Poehling had definitely benefitted him in some way. I don't have anything against Poehling or the Habs. Just saying the Kesler O'Reilly talks are too premature right now. His numbers are on the lower end of top 6 production. It's like borderline.

The only players who are bonafide top 6 scorers since 2010 who are first rounders in the NCAA are Larkin, Boeser, Connor and Keller.

White is capable but who knows.

Poehling production are in line with tage Thompson and Luke Kunins production and no one talks about them.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just said middlestadts production was very underwhelming . His stats were very poor for a 19 year old in the NCAA for a top 5 prospect. I just tried to give an explanation cause it makes no sense why people deem him as a top 5 prospect with that production. He showed well at the end of the year in the NHL but they were meaningless games.

The extra year that Poehling had definitely benefitted him in some way. I don't have anything against Poehling or the Habs. Just saying the Kesler O'Reilly talks are too premature right now. His numbers are on the lower end of top 6 production. It's like borderline.

The only players who are bonafide top 6 scorers since 2010 who are first rounders in the NCAA are Larkin and Boeser.

White is capable but who knows.

Poehling production are in line with tage Thompson and Luke Kunins production and no one talks about them.
Definitely add Keller, and probably Kyle Connor to that list. Both also lit up the NCAA in their D+1 years.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think that's a lot of it is that he kinda flew under the radar (as a late first in a 'weaker' draft going in) before the draft, being a freshman on a good team without putting up great numbers.

Now that he's done his sophomore year, and improved greatly, it seems some don't want to give him credit yet. It seems the vast majority see him as a middle six centre, which is decent value for a late first. If he continues to trend upward, he could top out as a higher end #2c but on the low end, an excellent #3C. I can't see anything below that, which given his draft slot, is excellent
I think he's well on track to being an all around #2C in the NHL. A guy who puts up 50+ points year in and year and does all the little things. I also think he has the upside to be more than that. His skill level and passing is low key excellent- and that's while being a big body that can skate and play in all situations.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad