C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I think middle six is the proper term for his upside. Ideally he's playing 3C because in today's NHL climate, youre not winning with a guy like Poehling at 2C. Just look at the 2C on all previous cup winners.

The fact remains that he simply can't score from distance. He's a good playmaker but he's not an elite one. With those two things in mind, teams will learn to give him space to shoot and choke off his passing lanes. Unless he develops a legitimate shot (which is rare for anyone post draft) he's simply going to be most effectively cast as a 3C.
Scoring from distance is not something he is likely going to be asked to do...it's not his game. Not having a blistering shot won't hinder him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Scoring from distance is not something he is likely going to be asked to do...it's not his game. Not having a blistering shot won't hinder him.

Yes, not having a certain offensive skills absolutely hinders the offensive ability of said player. The only times it doesn't is if said player is absolutely elite in all other areas.

If you can't beat a goalie from distance, it changes the way the defense plays you, it changes the way the goalie plays you, it makes playmaking a lot harder.

Name a legit 1C in the NHL that doesn't have the ability to beat a goalie from distance?

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Of course he was the #1 center. The only other centers on the team were his brothers lol. He definitely wouldn't be talked about as much . He has a good season. It wasn't great. He had the minimum amount of production to still be projected as a possible top 6 C. Any less and he would be a disappointment. Not saying he's bad, but don't see the Bergeron O'Reilly Kesler talk warranted yet. It's possible but not probable...yet
His brothers are wingers and have never been centers. Our centers last year after him were Lizotte, Peterson and Fitzgerald/Winiecki.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yes, not having a certain offensive skills absolutely hinders the offensive ability of said player. The only times it doesn't is if said player is absolutely elite in all other areas.

If you can't beat a goalie from distance, it changes the way the defense plays you, it changes the way the goalie plays you, it makes playmaking a lot harder.

Name a legit 1C in the NHL that doesn't have the ability to beat a goalie from distance?
What are you considering from distance? Beyond the dots?
All I'm saying is if the D can adapt to him...he can also adapt to them. He can and will play to his strengths...not try to make himself into something he isn't.

Reactions: jfhabs

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

How many legit #1 Center in the NHL?

Bergeron Toews Barzal Duchene Barkov O'Reilly Getzlaf, etc are not very good shooter from distance. I also tought we were speaking about 2nd lince Center?

Reactions: jfhabs

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I was in ST Cloud for a couple games last year , the games i saw Schultz and Jackson along with Eyssi were your most dominate players.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I was in ST Cloud for a couple games last year , the games i saw Schultz and Jackson along with Eyssi were your most dominate players.
Not unexpected when he is an 18 year old player. He improved as the yeat went on and his confidence grew. He should take a big step this year...most do moving into their upperclass years regardless of their pro prospects.

Reactions: wasup

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal

You were talking about him becoming a middle 6 C and a lot here are talking about a 2C ceiling, so it should be appropriate to compare him with current 2C’s instead of 1C’s.

I surely don’t think « elite shooter » when watching guys like Plekanec (the prime one that is), Krejci, Kadri, Stastny, Bryan Little, Derick Brassard or Backlund... Are they successful NHL centers?

Nothing says that Poehling can’t improve as a scoring threat (reminder that he scored 14 goals this year); he’s not even a poor shooter, he just doesn’t shoot very often.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Henrik Sedin didn't and was a number 1 center for many years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Henrik Sedin didn't and was a number 1 center for many years.

You missed the part of my post where I said unless they are elite in other areas. Henrik Sedin was obviously elite in other areas.

Like are you comparing Poehlings puck control and vision and playmaking to Sedins?

And yes, my whole point is he's a middle 6 C and he does not have more upside than that (DGS assertion) and that in today's climate he probably isn't a good enough 2. So he should be playing the 3C spot on a contender.

Reactions: SantaClaus

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You missed the part of my post where I said unless they are elite in other areas. Henrik Sedin was obviously elite in other areas.

Like are you comparing Poehlings puck control and vision and playmaking to Sedins?

And yes, my whole point is he's a middle 6 C and he does not have more upside than that (DGS assertion) and that in today's climate he probably isn't a good enough 2. So he should be playing the 3C spot on a contender.

His coach comparés him to Mikko Koivu... who doesn't have an elite shot either, but great 2way play, size, IQ.

I think it's way to early to label him as as a 3 C or not good enough for a top 6 role. He still has a pretty good shot at it IMO

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
His coach comparés him to Mikko Koivu... who doesn't have an elite shot either, but great 2way play, size, IQ.

I think it's way to early to label him as as a 3 C or not good enough for a top 6 role. He still has a pretty good shot at it IMO
Small quibble...but it's now former coach.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just said middlestadts production was very underwhelming . His stats were very poor for a 19 year old in the NCAA for a top 5 prospect. I just tried to give an explanation cause it makes no sense why people deem him as a top 5 prospect with that production. He showed well at the end of the year in the NHL but they were meaningless games.

The extra year that Poehling had definitely benefitted him in some way. I don't have anything against Poehling or the Habs. Just saying the Kesler O'Reilly talks are too premature right now. His numbers are on the lower end of top 6 production. It's like borderline.

The only players who are bonafide top 6 scorers since 2010 who are first rounders in the NCAA are Larkin, Boeser, Connor and Keller.

White is capable but who knows.

Poehling production are in line with tage Thompson and Luke Kunins production and no one talks about them.
Those guys are first liners...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Of course he was the #1 center. The only other centers on the team were his brothers lol. He definitely wouldn't be talked about as much . He has a good season. It wasn't great. He had the minimum amount of production to still be projected as a possible top 6 C. Any less and he would be a disappointment. Not saying he's bad, but don't see the Bergeron O'Reilly Kesler talk warranted yet. It's possible but not probable...yet

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after your 2nd sentence, it's clear you've never watched a single game of his and you're just here to bait or troll

Reactions: Acadien86

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Where would hab fans rank Poehling in terms of drafted NHL prospects league wide?

I have him around Morgan Frost territory both drafted in a similar spot and both had very good draft +1 seasons. I'm not sure what number that would be exactly but that is my comparable prospect value wise.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I have him around Morgan Frost territory both drafted in a similar spot and both had very good draft +1 seasons. I'm not sure what number that would be exactly but that is my comparable prospect value wise.

Shane Bowers as well. Where people rank those guys, Poehling should be around the same spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad