C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like Poehling better than Bowers pretty easily, but who knows, things can change as prospects progress.
I think Bowers still has a say in this group, he's done good as a 2-way player too, but he'd be in the tail end of the conversation, where Poehling would rank in the middle and Frost/Thomas ahead.

Reactions: Habs76

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It's hard to really compare guys when they aren't playing on the same ice in the same league/tourny, so Poehling vs Frost is really hard to do. I love Thomas, had him ahead of Poehling (and Frost) on draft day and think he's going to be great, but when he and Poehling were on the same ice (last years summer showcase), Poehling was the superior player. Who knows though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
For some young players it's just a matter of believing they are "that good" and trusting in themselves to be THE guy (or one of them). Poehling has always been smart, unselfish and committed to 2 way play, it's great for him to see that he can also be the guy to take over in a game with elite talent on both sides. Perhaps a more aggressive/unselfish mindset will do his get him to the next level.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Remember when nobody included him in the last 2017 1st round re-draft on the main board?

Reactions: sharks9

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Remember when nobody included him in the last 2017 1st round re-draft on the main board?

That's because he's a Habs prospect. Yet you ask if a guy that went later in a subsequent draft to the Leafs if he belongs to the 1st round in a re-draft, they'll say he should have gone top 20.

Most scouts had Poelhing's talent/skillset as being around the 10-15th overall range, but many got scared because of his low production at age 17 against 19-23 years old players.

The guy outscored Mittelstadt (who went 17 spots ahead) who is a highly touted prospect, yet people still see him as a 3C at best because of his draft position.

Had he been a Leafs prospect, Poelhing would currently be touted as the best non-NHL player in the world.

He plays a 200 ft game, has decent skating (not the fastest, but doesn't appear to get burned too often either), crashes the net and has a great vision for passes. Now people are still concerned about 1 element of his game, being his shot, and that is mostly because he doesn't use it all that much since, shocker, he's a playmaker.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Domi,Kotka,Poehling...wow you Habs are pretty darn lucky, your center trio looks sick in the future,...in the near future.

Domi is fools gold (bad underlying numbers like he's always had, riding high Sh%'s), Kotka looks good but is just the 9th leading Habs scorer, Poehling projects more as a middle 6 guy to me. There is potential but I would not be banking on these guys yet.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Domi is fools gold (bad underlying numbers like he's always had, riding high Sh%'s), Kotka looks good but is just the 9th leading Habs scorer, Poehling projects more as a middle 6 guy to me. There is potential but I would not be banking on these guys yet.
Enough...

Domi has the skillset and always had it, he may drop production a bit but it’s not like he went in the first for no reason.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Enough...

Domi has the skillset and always had it, he may drop production a bit but it’s not like he went in the first for no reason.

I actually like him and always have but i'd be concerned about banking on him being a 1st line center or player right now. lots of players get taken in the 1st round, no one is saying he's a bust but he's putting up elite numbers all of a sudden while the underlying numbers have remained fairly constant.

i'm not saying he can't be that, it's just unlikely IMO. would like to be proven wrong because like I said I like the player.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I actually like him and always have but i'd be concerned about banking on him being a 1st line center or player right now. lots of players get taken in the 1st round, no one is saying he's a bust but he's putting up elite numbers all of a sudden while the underlying numbers have remained fairly constant.

i'm not saying he can't be that, it's just unlikely IMO. would like to be proven wrong because like I said I like the player.
He should be a good top player at the least imo, not sold on center yet either but there’s no reason why he can’t produce imo.

Reactions: jj cale

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

domi is a no. 2. and if he contributes 60 pts a year it will be great. habs have had a couple of years of plekanec in his prime hit 60-70 pts and then nothing since koivu. if you're not convinced kotkaniemi will be a dominant C, you're not paying attention to what he's doing at 18

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Domi,Kotka,Poehling...wow you Habs are pretty darn lucky, your center trio looks sick in the future,...in the near future.

Not to mention Suzuki who is also playing C in the OHL. Granted, he is more likely to play RW at pro level but that's another guy with potential to be an impact C for the Habs. The future is looking bright, finally.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Not to mention Suzuki who is also playing C in the OHL. Granted, he is more likely to play RW at pro level but that's another guy with potential to be an impact C for the Habs. The future is looking bright, finally.

People said the future was looking bright in 2012, 2014, 2017. I think we have to pump the breaks until these guys flesh out

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Really good showing so far. Hopefully he learns to be more selfish and shoot more when he gets back to St. Cloud.

Kind of? He's got poor corsi and relative corsi (playing with Drouin doesn't help there), but that doesn't really affect his offense since its mostly down to the shot attempts against with him on the ice. His iS/60 have increased significantly this year, as have his iHDCF/60. His GAR numbers have always been good and he's always ranked highly as a playmaker with Sportlogiq's data. He's probably not a #1C long term (he's barely one now), but he's pretty far from fool's gold.

As for Kotka, most were debating whether Finland or the AHL would be better for him. Being a good 3rd liner with excellent underlying numbers as the youngest NHLer that was considered a bit of a project when he was drafted is pretty good. Not banking on him, but will be very interested in how he develops considering his biggest weaknesses in the NHL is probably strength.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
If he could improve his skating , i talk about pur speed , he could be a very good two way center #1 . If his skating stay Ok , he will be a good second liner that you want on your team

Loving his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad