C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think he is the most underrated center at prospect in NHL.

He is going to be a stud in NHL level, hockey IQ is very important and like Kotkaniemi, he got amazing hockey IQ. I think the only thing he can be better is at shot.

Hockey IQ + His defensive play + Maturity, he got all that.

I think he is going to be a excellent #2 in the future with Montreal Canadiens.

I'm laugh so hard with comparison Poehling/Sheahan in this thread. Just come on. Poehling looks like a beast at center. He is going to be a amazing center for Habs.

You have good points and he's a lock to be an NHLer, and a centre at that, if he stays healthy. There are just way too many things about him that the coaches like. However, the biggest issue with him is how he's able to translate offensively to the NHL although he showed lots of promise last year. That's why I'm a little cautious about already penciling him to our future top 6. I like the Kesler upside comparison too but there's also a good chance he'll turn out as a bottom six shutdown type C (a la Sheahan).

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
His coach’s comparable was mikko koivu and I would be over the moon if he hit that

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His coach’s comparable was mikko koivu and I would be over the moon if he hit that
Yeah, that would be a helluva thing. Koivu wasted his best years with subpar linemates, on a team with a very strict defensive system. He was an excellent #1C in his prime, and as lately as a year ago was a good, fringe #1C. Still a VG #2c.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The main thing he needs to prove his that he has the legitimate offensive upside to be a top 6 center in the NHL. The good news is that Poehling likely already has a floor of a 3C and still has tons of room to grow. If he continues on his current path of development, I would not be surprised to see him become a legitimate top 6 prospect, but right now it's more like middle-six.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Habs don't go near that deal
That's fine but value wise it's more than fair not saying Canucks should trade Juolevi for Poehling cause we shouldn't. Most people don't realize Juolevi just had one of the best season in Liiga for a U20 defensemen. I just saying that I like Poehling enough that I would trade Juolevi for him. Almost all people would disagree though.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I like how people just spit out blind comparisons based on nothing - McCarron 2.0???

I guarantee he's an NHL regular in 2019-2020.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
obviously, it would be a bad trade for Vancouver but I just mean that's how much I like Poehling as a prospect. I mean Montreal badly needs centre a little more than they need Defensemen. That why you guys moved Sergachev for Drouin, who's kind of a centre.
Poor trade for mtl.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I guarentee the majority of people who think he’s a bottom 6 type are basing that primarily on his name lol

The guy is well on track to being a 2C. The question is, how high is his ceiling?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
obviously, it would be a bad trade for Vancouver but I just mean that's how much I like Poehling as a prospect. I mean Montreal badly needs centre a little more than they need Defensemen. That why you guys moved Sergachev for Drouin, who's kind of a centre.

We would need Sergachev much more than Drouin at the moment. Maybe without Drouin we would've been forced to acquire an actual centre too. Jury is still out on who will be the better player but from a positional standpoint that was a bad trade for Montreal. As for Juolevi, would love to have him but a prospect-for-prospect trade like this is just too risky for both teams at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad